• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Wadding Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chaos Zero 64, did you make House of Chaos?

If so:

MAP01 - Hidden Palace Zone - ???
MAP02 - Splash Fight Zone - ???
MAP03 - Tails Base - hotdog003
MAP04 - House of Chaos Zone - Chaos Zero 64
MAP05 - Subterranean Sickness Zone - hotdog003
MAP06 - Triad Trials Zone - Sonicandtails218

I still have no clue about the other two's authors.

to me, there were all great wads (EXCEPT SPLASH FIGHT ZONE! X_X XP)
but who won is my question.

who the heck made that baby wad in the first place?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?1?!?/!?!?!/?//1!??!?111!?!?!/????1???/1/??????/11??//?????!!!111!!!!!

Just got back from a re-hosted judging netgame. :D
Listed from favorite, to hated...

Hidden Palace: 8.5
A decent level. There were enough rings to go around. The bridges were rather narrow, though. Not much of a Sonic level.

Triad Trials: 7.0
Somewhat decent. The level's quite big, so there's a lot to explore. Problem is, it's too big for small netgames. Difficult to find your target.

Chaos House: 6.0
Ah, yes. The classic styled-as-a-house level we've all seen once or twice. It needs a lot more rings, though. And the white walls seem too bland.

Subteranian sickness: 4.5
First, I'll talk about the lava: There's nothing at the bottom. Not even a death pit. So, when you fall in, your mission is to avoid your rings, 'cus it's hard to not grab them, and delay your death. It needs a death pit at the bottom. Really.
The level's not too Sonic friendly, either. There's an area where Sonic can't jump out of! That's no good.

Tails Base: 4.0
A nice looking level. Would've gotten at least 9.0 if it HAD RINGS. Basically, your only sources for rings is a patch of silver ring boxes outside the door, and the rings in the basketball-looking court thing. It seems to me, that this level was pretty much looks only. It's serious lack of rings is what made me give it 4.0. It needs a lot more rings, PERIOD.

Splash fight: 2.0
Hate my opinion if you want, but this level, stunk. Seriously.
Number one, It had all of the special rings in it, and that's NO GOOD. It overpowers anybody who gets them all.
Number 2, The level looks FAR too bland. All it is is just GFZROCK and FLOOR0_3, (Checkered dirt, for non-level creators) and a big ol' water block above us, that you can lauch into with a red spring. What's the point of going in it? Shoot the other players from above? Not the best idea, IMO.
Number C, There's no thok barrier, so Sonic can thok out of the level. That really knocked off a lot of the score.

Wow... I never knew I was such a critic. :eek:
Sorry if I sounded harsh in any of these, but that's just IMO. :roll:

SRB2-Playah said:
Subteranian sickness: 4.5
First, I'll talk about the lava: There's nothing at the bottom. Not even a death pit. So, when you fall in, your mission is to avoid your rings, 'cus it's hard to not grab them, and delay your death.
While this was annoying, keep in mind it's match mode, and there is a way you can get rid of rings: shoot them. Which makes it not that hard to get your fate over with quickly.

Still, it would have to suck if you got a fire shield and then fell in.

Chaos Zero 64 said:
I played a netgame with my friend. i forgot to check with mIRC people if they were hosting. Im not gonna vote since mines in it, but i found 2 glitches: map02, you can thok your way out of the place. Thats bad. same as the old example JetKrazy did which he didnt fix. and in map... uh... subteranean sickness... well if you get the tvs on random and get the fire shield, after you explore the edges counterclockwise, youll get stuck. better yet, with tails, after that, fly above. try to get in the middle of the lava and the surface. youll get stuck there too.

i liked Tails base actually. also the triad trials.

I already talked about the splash zone. reread this for more stuff people missed.

Right now, as I have no one to test the maps with (ie can't play netgames, and no one over to play split screen with), I'm just going to pull an SSNTails and give comments but no rating.

Hidden Palace:

This was in fact made by me. As some of you know, I sent it in for Knuckles500's contest. I figured GHZ was over used, and the only other classic Sonic texture set was Hidden Palace Sonic 2. All I did was use the textures, didn't care if it was a conversion or no. When I made it, I didn't know any better way to get up onto something than a spring (Of course, now I just make a tunnel leading to a rising floor, but I didn't learn how to do that till later). I didn't think the walkways would be too narrow, considering that Sonic can just thok across half the level. Interesting that someone (forgot who) noted that it didn't favor Sonic. As I've mentioned, I'm an avid Tails fanatic, so I design with him, the overall weakest character, in mind. As for everything else, I like what you think of it. Considering it was my first complete match level, and second level ever (IRCers remember Grass Highway), I'm surprised it did this well.

Splash Fight:

Original idea, made me think of SSBM, but that's getting off track. The first thing I thought was "Hey, I'm underwater! Where's the colormap?" Then, I saw that I was not under water per se, but in the rather physically impossible state of being under underwater. Aside from that first thought, I thought the map was rather large, and although I shouldn't be talking about large levels, it didn't have anything to fill that largeness. Also, a look in Doom Builder says that the entire sector was made of one sided linedefs. One sided linedefs are bad. Sonic can thok through them, camera gets screwy in them, and so does Knuckles. Other than that, great idea, below average execution.

Tails Base:

From an aesthetic standpoint, this level is awesome. Foresty goodness, labratories, computer terminals, war rooms, rivers, excellent. However, from a design standpoint, it starts to dwindle. About seven silver rings in a three hundred unit area, a choice of four different shields, and I wonder which is going to be grabbed, and a low ceiling. It's called Tails Base for crying out loud! There's no place for Tails to fly (count on me to complain about this)! Additionally, theres not much incentive to run around over the level, except for a strafing run with 150+ rings.

House of Chaos:

First of all, it's a house. Houses at normal proportions are cramped. This is a house at subnormal proportions. I run around, and suddenly I find myself picking up a homing ring. Ick, those are usually bad news. Later, I find a bomb ring. Well, if someone is shooting me with one, I'm screwed even if it misses. Auto ring. Badbadbadbadbadbadbad. Auto+bomb=nono. I took that combo out of TTZ not because it's over powered, far from it, but because it lags like hell. Other than the ring fiasco, the actual house was small. Maybe making a yard of some sort?

Subterrainean Sickness:

Dark. Flashback to Triad Trials. Then back to the game. I run, fall in lava, die, respawn. Then, after that, I realize that it is a low ceiling. At first, bad, but then I see a lot of variable height blocks. Good. I saw a little light effect, but other than that, there wasn't anything visually stunning with the level. Not much else to say, but I like levels like this that allow Tails to kick butt.

Triad Trials:

Yeah. As expected, many people thought it was big. Meant it to be that way. As for the ice...I thought the platforms were wide enough to make it fun, despite being slippery as hell. Then again, my Tails favoritism comes into play what with his better traction and slower speed. Also, everything I put in was delibrate, including the surprise teleporters, and everything else (Anyone grab an Armegeddon Shield from a life or limb risk yet?). I'm glad to see that some liked the design and the effort-you have no idea the pain and suffering I went through with the rising floor in the ground section. Also, the darkness in the underground section-it's dark. Deal. It's meant to be. You aren't totally blind, otherwise I wouldn't have used it. It's seeable at the lowest brightness in software. The underground section is meant to be one where you can get hit and not know who did it if it weren't for the message at the top of the screen. Other than that, yeah it is too big for the average netgame, but this isn't your average map *decked*. Ouch..well, just remember it when you have a ten person LAN party or something. You'll be thanking me. Oh yeah, music. I hadn't realized a small MIDI would be so bad, but oh well. If I ever realese an updated version, I'll just use Spring Hill music.

This 'll make everyone happy: I'm gonna release an updated version of TAILS BASE with rings!!! You heard me: WITH RINGS!!! To bad I can't use it for this contest...
I also added a current, and another forest part. It's looking pretty good in my opinion, so I can't wait 'till release day. Too bad the framerate's down... I'll have to do somethin' about that. Worse than Subteranean Sickness.

WORSE THAN SUBTERANEAN SICKNESS?!?!?!??....?..?......... *IMPLODES* omg. i thought tails base was awsome, but to me (and im being too picky) you should be able to jump on the trees, it needs a little more detail, one more area, and rings.... *ECHO* and rings *ECHO* and rings *ECHO* and rings...

Anyways, what matters the most, is that we all have fun and got to see the wads before they were actually judged and got no 1 player wad as a price which should now be handed in to everybody because we had to wait for more than 2 months. Now wouldnt that be the best Christmas present you've ever got in your life?

Somebody---No.

Because I was bored and too sleepy to do anything productive, here are the scores so far:

Code:
      Zsh FFx hd3 441 S2P Avg
MAP01 8.7 6.0 7.0 7.0 8.5 7.4
MAP02 3.6 3.0 2.0 3.0 2.0 2.7
MAP03 9.9 5.0     3.0 4.0 5.5
MAP04 7.4 4.0 9.0 6.0 6.0 6.5
MAP05 6.2 6.0     8.0 4.5 6.2
MAP06 9.7 7.5 8.0 3.0 7.0 7.0
  Avg 7.6 5.3 6.5 5.0 5.3 5.9

Wow, I never thought HPZ would do so good.

And as for the weakest character comment, I was refering to the fact that Tails in general match-up is weaker than the other characters. He is slower, and his special ability to fly is less useful than other abilities in similar circumstances (hence why his flying is getting a helping hand in 1.09). A player's skill can balance that out, as FF can do extremely well with Tails and I do much better with Tails and know how to abuse him more than the average player, and do better than with Sonic or Knux (hacen't played Gemini). However, on average, Tails is a weaker character than Sonic or Knuckles. Obviously, that doesn't stop the contingent of Tails fans from playing him.

That is one of the main reasons I design with Tails in mind, to balance it out. Tails will do better in one of my maps versus a Sonic or a Tails then he would in say, Meadow Match or Saphire Falls, because I keep him in mind and let him have an easier time. The other reason I design for Tails is because he's much more fun to design for.

Sonicandtails218 said:
Tails in general match-up is weaker than the other characters... A player's skill can balance that out, as FF can do extremely well with Tails...
That's what I thought at first: Tails sucks, FF is just extremely good. After playing several other people who used him, I'm convinced he is the best character. A well-controlled flying Tails is practically invulnerable. Of course, to use him in this way requires first person and mouse control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back