Two way teleports/ Teleport SFX

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDoctor

I am having a problem with both. First let me explain the primary problem that lead me to making this topic. How can I make a two way portal? I know how to make a one way portal, but I would like to know how to make a portal that gets me back to the first portal. Here is a picture to better understand the situation:

shot0017_zpsf0d2e42a.png

shot0016_zps7be452c6.png

Basically, how can I make it that if I enter the blue portal, I exit the orange portal, but also if I enter the orange portal I exit the blue portal?

I know how to make it that I enter the blue and exit the orange, but not blue to orange and orange to blue together. When I tried making the second sector (the orange portal) a teleport to the blue teleport, and when I entered the blue portal I exited through the same blue portal (its all wibbly wobbly timey wimey).

I would also like to ask for help with the Teleportation SFX. When replacing the teleport sound (DSMIXUP.OGG) with a portal-like sound effect (Which I have renamed to DSMIXUP.OGG [I converted the file from mp3 to OGG] and added it to my WAD file) then instead of the actual sound, a static sound comes out instead of the SFX I placed in the WAD.

Last edited:
First of all, DSMIXUP, like all sound effects, are DooM WAV format, not OGG. To replace it, you need to format your sound as a 48.000kHz, 8-bit mono WAV file. After inserting it in the wad, your lump editor can be used to convert it into the DooM WAV format. The wiki has one method for formatting the sound file here, though if you're using Slade you have to tell it to convert to DooM WAV via right-click.

As for 2-way portals, you can't make a teleport exit straight into a teleport entrance; even if that actually worked, you'd just be making an infinite loop. A more sensible approach would be to make the section of wall with the portal intangible(either by using a middletexture or an intangible FOF to display the portion of the wall and portal) and having the teleport entrance be inside of it, with the corresponding teleport exit being outside of the wall.

I tried using the SLADE conversion of the mp3 file, but it didn't work. Also that tutorial you posted shows a way how to convert the sound file not using a windows vista/windows 7 for the versions of Sound Recorder are different (mine can't open music files, only export recordings).

Audacity is a pretty decent freeware sound/music editor to convert mp3 to wav or ogg. You would have to download the LAME for audacity to get the MP3 part working I believe (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq_i18n?s=install&i=lame-mp3)
Additionally, for exporting WAVs you'll want to go into preferences, and under the file formats tab set the Uncompressed Export Format to "WAV (Microsoft 8 bit PCM)", and go to the quality tab and set Real-Time and High-Quality Dither to "none". That'll give you a clean output in the format SLADE will need to convert it into a DooM Sound.

Audacity is a pretty decent freeware sound/music editor to convert mp3 to wav or ogg.
I used Audacity a few times to edit and covert sounds, but I never got the LOOPPOINT working on it. I added the "LOOPPOINT=nnnn" in the comments but the game ignored it all times.

I used Audacity a few times to edit and covert sounds, but I never got the LOOPPOINT working on it. I added the "LOOPPOINT=nnnn" in the comments but the game ignored it all times.
Go to the metadata editor for the OGG. The key is "LOOPPOINT", and the value is the looppoint.

Also, it only works for 44100Hz bitrates for some reason. (I believe 2.1 fixes this.)

Additionally, for exporting WAVs you'll want to go into preferences, and under the file formats tab set the Uncompressed Export Format to "WAV (Microsoft 8 bit PCM)", and go to the quality tab and set Real-Time and High-Quality Dither to "none". That'll give you a clean output in the format SLADE will need to convert it into a DooM Sound.

I have tried following your instructions, but when opening prefrences I do not see any tabs labled "File Formats" or anything along those lines. There is a qualities tab, however it does not have the Real-Time thingy, and my Dither is already set to "none". Forgive me if I am sounding a bit foolish here. Here is a picture of the prefrences box thingy:

pref_zps08a652ce.png

EDIT: The "Import/Export" tab has nothing helpful to this situation, it only has stuff like:

"When importing, do you want to make a copy of the file before editing?" and stuff like that.

Last edited:
I think that's the new version you have. You need to go to "Export" itself then go to options and choose this 'Uncompressed Export Format to "WAV (Microsoft 8 bit PCM)"'.

I think that's the new version you have. You need to go to "Export" itself then go to options and choose this 'Uncompressed Export Format to "WAV (Microsoft 8 bit PCM)"'.

When exporting a file from my version of audacity, I can only convert it to these types:

You see the "Other uncompressed files" at the top? Choose that, then WAV Unsigned 8 bit PCM from the new window that comes up.

In that image there, go to "Other uncompressed files", then go back to options (in the export section) and select "WAV (Microsoft) Unsigned 8 bit PCM". Now it should export it as a 8-bit wav sound file.

EDIT: Looks like another post beat me to it.

Last edited:
Sorry for double post, I tried to convert another Sound effect (following the EXACT same steps), but this time SLADE wouldn't convert them. And yes, it is unsigned 8-bit mono.

EDIT: The file I am trying to convert is smaller than the one that was converted long ago.

Last edited:
Sorry for double post, I tried to convert another Sound effect (following the EXACT same steps), but this time SLADE wouldn't convert them. And yes, it is unsigned 8-bit mono.

EDIT: The file I am trying to convert is smaller than the one that was converted long ago.
That only happens to me when the sound file is corrupted so I guess you might have to replace that current wave file with a fresher copy and then do the whole process again (like converting and stuff).

That only happens to me when the sound file is corrupted so I guess you might have to replace that current wave file with a fresher copy and then do the whole process again (like converting and stuff).

Nope. You see, I'm getting this sound from a certain game from it's directory, no changes has been made to the .wav file other then copy and paste to my desktop. Then I open it in audacity, make sure that nothing affects the sound file (such as improving quality and what not), export it as an unsigned 8-bit mono wav file, import it to SLADE3, right-click, convert to DooM format, and nothing happens. This was the exact same thing I did for the other sound file, except this time it didn't work.

Make sure there's no metadata when you export it from Audacity. For some reason SLADE can't convert WAV's that have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back