Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look what can be seen here.

After a short IRC discussion, we reached consensus (barring D00D64, as usual) that your mod should be on the Wiki. It's linked there but the article wasn't yet started. Just please don't go overboard when editing that page, fawfulfan. ;)

I don't see how this deserves to be on the Wiki.

How does it have an impact on the community like XSRB2 does? Where's its importance?
The scores are mixed (whereas XSRB2 is generally well-liked) so I don't see how popularity would factor in.

Last edited:
How does it have an impact on the community like XSRB2 does?
Lots of servers with it, moreso than with XSRB2. Actually, I don't find the impact of XSRB2 to be particularly large, now that Golf Mode's popularity has dwindled. It's also the only large-scale level pack for SRB2, and is quite a catalyst for discussion. Every time somebody talks about "good level packs", Tortured Planet is mentioned.

The scores are mixed (whereas XSRB2 is generally well-liked) so I don't see how popularity would factor in.
Acid Missile is on the Wiki too, and that has an even lower score average. 3.8 is really good enough. Also, the method of construction (starting with a raw skeleton, then fleshing it out step by step) means that it improves over time. It also means that there are quite possibly a lot of people who gave their rating a while ago and haven't changed it since then, even if they would now give it a higher score.

Also bear in mind that XSRB2 made it into the Hall of Fame, which makes a comparison slightly unfair. Not every mod has to be there to make it onto the Wiki.

EDIT: Look at these guidelines, it certainly fits them all. It has 38 levels (more than enough), the most views, replies and ratings in the levels section of Releases (barring Sonic Quest, but that was around much longer), and has four stars average (rounded, which is what is meant here).

Last edited:
Frankly, I don't think we NEED an add-on section on the wiki, Acid Missile included, and even if we did, TP is such a mixed bag, it does not deserve such an honor. Meanwhile, XSRB2 has lots to it, not just Golf Mode. It actually modifies the EXE for new level gimmicks, and even a new gametype with Shards, and single player types like Score Attack and Ring Attack are in development too.This level pack however is just like any other, but with one exception; it's complete...ish. That's all it has going for it. Aside from that, it is nothing noteworthy.

Mystic Realm had this effect on people too; it was the only complete set of levels around, and while it has it's moments, it's pretty underwhelming, much like this pack. The only reason why people liked Mystic Realm and Tortured Planet (to a small extent) is because they're complete, and use features of the current EXE for the time, showing what can be done (though, in all honesty, TP does it somewhat poorly, and some areas are direct copypasta from official maps, even) with the current EXE features.

Sadly, there arn't enough mappers actually completing projects. they play this mod and don't even bother trying to use these new mapping toys for themselves, or just loose interest. And thus, this is why this pack has attention. Fawfulfan actually bothered to make this thing and complete it, while many others have not. It's on top solely because it's the only thing UP there to fight for the top.

And Ratings are a piss-poor indicator of saying what's good and what's not. The reason is because most people only see 5 or 1 star ratings. There are considerably more or 1 star ratings used when they shouldn't be. When a map was just "okay", they'll rate it 5 anyway! This is why Youtube boiled down to just thumbs up/thumbs down ratings. People only rated 5 or 1. Now that's technically all there is, eliminating the issue by just going to what everyone else is going to. Ratings on the internet are mostly a joke anyway. However, a full, thorough review system shows that the person deeply cared about getting their point across and of course, WILL use more than just a 5 or 1 scale, but the amount of people just going in and stomping 5/1 outweigh it.

Frankly, this pack is just underwhelming, and just not good. Opinions on it are mixed across the board, the levels often have scrappy mechanics or issues, and it just isn't a good thing to show as an example of a good mod. It's a generic mod that is only notable for being "complete", and is not much better than some of the other mods out there, like Sonic Quest, The Chase is On, Doomsday Pack, or Dimensional. It's a "complete" pack and nothing more.

Last edited:
Wow, this is a pretty big honor! Thanks. And don't worry...I won't go overboard on details if I edit the pages.

Last edited:
Frankly, I don't think we NEED an add-on section on the wiki, Acid Missile included,
Have you seen what happened when Digiku and I proposed to remove said section? This is over with, the vast majority wants it to stay. And if it stays, Tortured Planet deserves a spot.

Meanwhile, XSRB2 has lots to it, not just Golf Mode. It actually modifies the EXE for new level gimmicks, and even a new gametype with Shards, and single player types like Score Attack and Ring Attack are in development too.
What I see here is two people who didn't like this level pack comparing it to XSRB2, which they admittedly like a lot. It comes across as trying to shoot this pack off. Comparing EXE mods to level packs is like comparing apples and oranges.

This level pack however is just like any other, but with one exception; it's complete...ish. That's all it has going for it. Aside from that, it is nothing noteworthy.
That's already noteworthy enough.

And Ratings are a piss-poor indicator of saying what's good and what's not. The reason is because most people only see 5 or 1 star ratings. There are considerably more or 1 star ratings used when they shouldn't be. When a map was just "okay", they'll rate it 5 anyway! This is why Youtube boiled down to just thumbs up/thumbs down ratings. People only rated 5 or 1. Now that's technically all there is, eliminating the issue by just going to what everyone else is going to. Ratings on the internet are mostly a joke anyway. However, a full, thorough review system shows that the person deeply cared about getting their point across and of course, WILL use more than just a 5 or 1 scale, but the amount of people just going in and stomping 5/1 outweigh it.
Sure, I agree that ratings are not a good indicator of quality, but ratings sure weren't my only catalyst when deciding if this should have an article or not. After all, we didn't accept Sonic Quest, which had a comparable score but was admittedly much poorer.

It's a generic mod that is only notable for being "complete", and is not much better than some of the other mods out there, like Sonic Quest, The Chase is On, Doomsday Pack, or Dimensional. It's a "complete" pack and nothing more.
It's sure better than those, don't be unreasonable. You might not personally like it, but that doesn't make it any worse.

Here's an update on everything I've done so far in v5.0 that I can remember:

SAZ1:
-Bugfixes
-New scenery
-Path reconfiguration
-Significant textural updates
-Colormap improvement
-Slight gimmick modification

SAZ2:
-Bugfixes
-New scenery
-Improvement to alternate paths
-Colormap improvement

SAZ3:
-Shifting of control sectors (not noticeable)

ECZ1:
Scrapped and remade

ECZ2:
-Scenery improvement
-Colormap improvement
-Path balancing
-Minor enemy movement
-One additional gimmick

ECZ3:
-Scenery improvement

DDZ1:
-Colormap improvement
-Slight scenery improvement
-Slight path reconfiguration

DDZ2:
-Colormap improvement
-New secrets
-New alternate path
-Path reconfiguration

DDZ3:
-Colormap improvement
-Start point shifting

SNZ1:
-Texture reconfiguration
-Path modification
-Slightly more focus on free exploration

SNZ2:
-Slightly more focus on free exploration
-Gimmick modification
-Scenery reconfiguration

SNZ3:
-Bugfixes
-Scenery improvement
-Start point reconfiguration

GCZ1:
-Gimmick modification
-Path modification
-Scenery modification

GCZ2:
-Additional path
-Additional gimmicks
-Significant texture reconfiguration

GCZ3:
-Some Not Climbable walls made climbable
-Start point modification

FSZ1:
-New custom texture set
-New sector scenery
-Additional path
-Gimmick modification
-Colormap improvement

FSZ2:
-Bugfixes
-Slight path reconfiguration
-New custom texture set
-New sector scenery
-Colormap improvement

FSZ3:
-Start point shifting
-Significant scenery improvement

LGZ1:
-Colormap improvement
-New path
-New gimmicks
-Scenery improvement

LGZ2:
-Colormap improvement
-Scenery improvement

LGZ3:
-Start point shifting

SZ1:
-Bugfixes
-New custom texture set
-Path reconfiguration
-Additional gimmicks

SZ2:
-Bugfixes
-Path reconfiguration
-Additional gimmicks

SZ3:
-New custom texture set
-Additional scenery
-Consistency correction

AAZ1:
-Additional scenery
-Colormap improvement
-New secrets

AAZ2:
-Colormap improvement

AAZ3:
-Scenery imrovement
-Gimmick addition

SSZ:
-New scenery
-Significant gimmick reconfiguration
-Bugfixes

CCZ:
-Chaos Emerald spawn point reconfiguration

MMZ:
-Bugfixes
-Scenery improvement

FFZ:
-Colormap improvement
-Sector optimization

SSZ:
Nothing yet

BBZ:
Nothing yet

TTZ:
-Bugfixes
-New custom texture set

RRZ:
Nothing yet

WWZ:
Nothing yet

AAZ:
-Bugfixes
-Sector Optimization

WTHZ:
Nothing yet

Not only that, but work on v5.0 is far from over. By the time it's ready for release, there will be a lot more improvements to expect!

Last edited:
I assume the new path in DDZ2 is where I assume it is (the waterslide). Which incidentally is another reason to move the spot of the zone back by one or two.

On an unrelated note, the rightmost palm tree in the first room of SAZ1 crashes every time for me. It happens when I stand on it and look back to the beginning.

EDIT: And another thing regarding SNZ. I just played through TP v1.0 to see how much this pack has improved since its inception (an incredible lot, I must say), and I noticed how much easier the old SNZ was on the eye. A large problem with the visuals are the bright blue textures like ICEWALL5 or ICEWALL9. They pretty much replaced every instance of the old Christmas textures, and now the whole thing is much too blinding. I don't quite know what texture would be a better fit, but you could try increasing the amount of ICEWALL3, for example. The really bright textures should be mostly reserved to the indoor parts.

Last edited:
Hmmm...I haven't been able to reproduce that crash. I'll keep my eyes open, though, and in the meantime, you can avoid it pretty easily.

Regarding SNZ, one thing I have done is increase the instances of ICEFLR0 in the outdoor areas. Many of the brighter wall textures are still there, but you'd be surprised how much just changing the flats has helped (at least in my opinion).

Last edited:
Hmmm...I haven't been able to reproduce that crash. I'll keep my eyes open, though, and in the meantime, you can avoid it pretty easily.
That's the stupid thing about crashes: They don't happen for everybody at the same spot. It's also not because of the unclosed sectors, because you actually fixed those in v4.0. Guess I'll report it in the SIGSEGV topic then.

The good news is that I somehow managed to complete this entire mod and unlock level select. Now whenever there's an update, I won't need to start a new file to look for the changes in the levels. Isn't the fun just all too much?

The Level, I think its name is Fume Shaft. I give you kudos on the lighting effects. I like how if the magenta slime is on the outside of the tube, the playable character is colored Magenta and if its the death sludge, they're colored green.

Speaking of which, I've been hard at work on improving Fume Shaft. I've decided to touch it up with the same brand of sector scenery that kept Drowned Downtown interesting. There isn't going to be quite as much as in DDZ, but you'll see a few new mining elements. The three pieces of sector scenery that I can confirm at this point are pickaxes, flashlight helmets, and ore cars.

I can hardly see a thing in Drowned Downtown 2. Everything is too dark, specially underwater, and my monitor and game's video settings have brightness and contrast at it's max.

Since I haven't played Tortured Planet in a pretty good amount of time, and it seems that the save states are now removed upon loading the mod, I'll have to leave my reviews of the zones based on pure memory because I'm too lazy and tired to play through the whole thing. So pardon me if I mix up some zones/bosses, leave out some alternate paths/hidden goodies, etc because this is going to be a really half-assed review.

Sunshine Atoll Zone-7/10

It's a solid zone with a good amount of secrets (not sure if you've added anything significant in the latest version). The Crawlas and textures did get a little repetitive, (as well as easy but since it's the first zone that's a given) but I liked the "fall through the forest canopy" idea with the boss.

Eruption Conduit Zone-7/10

Has many of the same positives and negatives as SAZ, although I didn't like the boss a whole lot. If I remember correctly, there were a couple upper paths in Act 1, which I liked. The factory was definitely a plus. Not much to say here until I get to play through it again.

Drowned Downtown Zone-6/10

Ehh. It lacks secrets, in places it's virtually impossible to get around the Skims, and the boss was tougher than Egg Rock 3 until I figured out to take out the Skims first. Then it just was an underwater version of the Techno Hill boss. The subway was a neat part, and I know that there were other sections I liked, but I can't remember them at the moment.

Snowcap Nimbus Zone-4/10

I was let down with this zone. Snow in the open areas slows you down and makes you sitting ducks for the Jetty-Syns, and the concealed Eggman monitors meant a lot of really cheap setbacks. The oil was out of place, and was an unnecessary hazard. The ice was okay, I figured in this zone it would appear at one time or another. After more a few deaths at the hands of the Jetty-Syns, bottomless pits (more often than not accounting to the Jettys) and Eggman monitors, my general strategy was just "F**k it, run for the exit and don't stop for anything". Which meant that if there was any secrets or neat places, I didn't see them. It does have very nice scenery, and I'm sure if I wasn't dying so much I may have found some interesting stuff, but I still didn't like it. 4/10 mainly for potential.

Gritty Columns Zone-7.5/10

Here we go. This was a very nice zone in my eyes. The visuals were enjoyable, although the wall textures in Act 2 do get boring after awhile. The quicksand was a nice effect, one large room with rising quicksand stands out in my memory. Crushers, narrow walkways, and bottomless pits all at once (I think) caused some deaths, but was enjoyable. Again, not really much else I remember at the moment.

Fume Shaft Zone-5/10

This zone actually didn't lag for me, so that wasn't a factor. However, I've never been a fan of fans over hazards (mainly because I suck at staying above the fan itself, and if you fly too low it ends up blowing you upwards and more often than not into the hazard). Other than that, it was pretty bland. Rocks, barrels, toxic slime, and fans. Also, the falling rocks really got old after awhile.

Liftoff Gantry Zone-6.5/10

I liked the first act, the second a little less. Act 1 had good gameplay, looks good, and reminds me of the 16-bit games (though in fairness SRB2 by itself does that). Act 2, again, I really don't remember much about it, but what I do remember was kinda bland. The boss was cool (assuming I'm thinking of the right one) with the switching gravity.

Spacewalk Zone-3.5/10

I don't want to repeat myself too much, but the only thing I remember about this zone is the theme and me raging a lot. The former was good. The latter, needless to say, wasn't. Cheap deaths run rampant through this zone, and I was on the verge of ragequitting when I finally beat Act 2. I have no idea how you're supposed to beat the boss, and after a handful of deaths at that point I finally ragequitted. A 3.5/10 for potential.

Alien Armageddon Zone-N/A

If I ever beat Spacewalk Zone, as well as the rest of the game, I'll prob'ly review this zone.

Oh, and please, please enable the save states again.

Snowcap Nimbus Zone-4/10

I was let down with this zone. Snow in the open areas slows you down and makes you sitting ducks for the Jetty-Syns, and the concealed Eggman monitors meant a lot of really cheap setbacks. The oil was out of place, and was an unnecessary hazard. The ice was okay, I figured in this zone it would appear at one time or another. After more a few deaths at the hands of the Jetty-Syns, bottomless pits (more often than not accounting to the Jettys) and Eggman monitors, my general strategy was just "F**k it, run for the exit and don't stop for anything". Which meant that if there was any secrets or neat places, I didn't see them. It does have very nice scenery, and I'm sure if I wasn't dying so much I may have found some interesting stuff, but I still didn't like it. 4/10 mainly for potential.
That is an interesting stance, I must say. I personally didn't find the slowing-down snow to be a terrible hazard, but then again, you probably didn't play as Sonic. I also didn't find any Eggman monitors at all, which kinda makes me wonder if I played that zone all that much (I know I did). Another problem is probably that you didn't take the interesting paths with the PolyObjects. That is actually a huge problem: Every time there is a path split, one path is awesome and the other is "meh". Since this zone is relatively low on big gimmicks, that can be a problem. I personally found the oil to be an interesting idea, but that's a matter of taste.

Another important thing regarding Gritty Columns Zone, I finally gave in to my instinct and I must say that those textures from Clockwork Towers suck. A lot. They look to realistic for a Sonic game, they don't fit the theme at all (along with the other castle-themed textures), and they just look ugly. Since you're trying to integrate DSZ textures anyway, you should probably get rid of these along the way.

Oh and yes, Spacewalk is incredibly frustrating, although I have grown to like it (mostly Act 1, Act 2 is still horrible) at least a bit more. They main problem lies in the abundance of space junk section, gravity flips (there are really too many of those) and, unfortunately, low gravity. I absolutely loathe low gravity and its slow gameplay style, and even though the zone centers around it, it does it no good.

the concealed Eggman monitors meant a lot of really cheap setbacks.
I also didn't find any Eggman monitors at all, which kinda makes me wonder if I played that zone all that much (I know I did).
IIRC, there is a grand total of four Eggman monitors in all of SNZ, and they are all in the exact same place in Act 1. But The Desert Fox is right about one thing: they are needlessly concealed by the snow. I'll fix that by turning that platform into ice instead.

Also, I happen to like the CTZ textures. I think of them as the deeper, darker areas of the temple. But that's just me. On the other hand, the DSZ textures break up a lot more of the AGZ monotony, and there are a few DSZ/ACZ fusion rooms that I am extremely proud of (one of them is kind of a secret path, the other is directly on the main path). At the same time, GCZ2 has also had some of its gimmicks expanded upon, like the double crusher after the rising sand room, and I have implemented that sand slide gimmick you suggested (I like how it turned out). There are some new secrets, too. I feel like GCZ2 is one of the easiest levels to build on and improve over time, which is kinda ironic, seeing as it's already one of the best stages in Tortured Planet IMO.

In the meantime, every zone up to Fume Shaft has now been improved. I haven't got a whole lot of new gimmick ideas for FSZ, but I do have some new scenery ideas that I have implemented. As I said, expect some sector scenery in the new version.

Now, I'm off to work on LGZ. Unlike in my previous two updates, I'm going to try to take the improvement of this level seriously. I have one or two new ideas for it, particularly Act 2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back