Things in video games you're tired of seeing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Games with too much replay value mean you don't want to keep playing it. For example, Shadow the Hedgehog. Sure it's fun, but after a while, playing that first level gets boring. And plus, you actually HAVE to play it if you want to even get close to beating the game, since you need to unlock all endings to fight the final boss.

...That doesn't sound like replay value at all. It sounds like you just repeat the same level, not actually replaying in the definition of Replay Value (which is completing the game more than once, not including full 100%). Otherwise, beating up the same enemies over and over in an RPG to grind XP could be considered replay value, but that isn't true.

Creepy little girls.

bioshock2littlesister58.jpg

Oh come on, that's just adorable!

Also, I guess I'm tired of scenes that make you feel like you're cruel. I never could bring myself to hurt one of them in game.

Also, I guess I'm tired of scenes that make you feel like you're cruel. I never could bring myself to hurt one of them in game.

Those scenes never really made me feel bad. In fact, it felt good.

bioshock2littlesister58.jpg

Oh come on, that's just adorable!

Between that and Alma, I can see why Zap can't stand it.

Quick time events. All I want is to progress through the plot, not live in constant fear of a "Press X to not die" moment. CURSE YOU RESIDENT EVIL FOUR!!

I agree with the comments on linearity.

Few other things I hate, invisible walls and loading before and after everything.

That's why I love games like Jak and Daxster (the first one, before they added guns). The game starts, you can walk anywhere and never have to stop to wait for the game to load. Best of all, invisible walls are practically nonexistent.

I also hate the "You died but you get to retry without really losing something durr hurr" mechanic.
I liked how when you are on your last life, you actually pay attention to your surroundings more and you use caution, praying that you dont have to restart the level. Games now just take that feeling away by filling their characters with all sorts of gaming steriods.
A great example would be if you got hit by a big laser attack. Laser beam attacks are supposed to hurt like hell, not barely dent your life bar.
So anyways, thats just me.

this whole war games shit. I mean its fun for a while but it's all I hear from everyone nowadays. HUR DUR Call Of Duty HUR DUR Wii is gay DERP. Remeber when the popular games were original?

Yeah. Its World at war world at world at war, it's driving me nuts.

Now, for my say

Impossible bosses
What I mean?
Take Ikaruga for example, the mothership fires all over the screen
Also, people find Super Mario Brothers impossible on the boss without realising theres an axe behind Bowser
Igniz in King of Fighters 2001 aswell, he throws his coat everywhere.
I know its a final boss but they could at least put in a much easier way of winning these, couldn't they?

Another thing I am tired of seeing, or actually hearing, the "silent" protaganist that can still respond to people. Would it kill people to give the character a just few lines of dialogue so they don't seem like a mute person capable of giving more than yes or no answers for some unkown reason?

The only exception is Gordon Freeman from Half-Life because people actually acknowledge the fact he doesn't speak.

The only exception is Gordon Freeman from Half-Life because people actually acknowledge the fact he doesn't speak.

Actually, I thought it was implied in the game that he does speak. I remember one part where some guy says, "Oh, sorry. I didn't hear you." and another moment where he asks you a yes or no question and he takes your response without any problem.

There was one part near the beggining of hl2 where Alyx makes a comment about him not speaking.

Haven't played in a while so I forgot most of the middle parts.

Another thing I am tired of seeing, or actually hearing, the "silent" protaganist that can still respond to people. Would it kill people to give the character a just few lines of dialogue so they don't seem like a mute person capable of giving more than yes or no answers for some unkown reason?

I know what you mean. I'm still waiting for Nintendo to give Link a voice. I'm sure they haven't done it yet because they want to avoid taking away the players' ability to name the character, but they don't have to let the name come up in conversation. It's not that hard, really. It's been done.

I like Pokemon Blue and Red, though. I remember when your character goes on the S.S. Anne, one of the waiters something like: "...Ah. I see you're le strong silent type."

Speaking of Pokemon... There's a few things about those games that have been getting on my nerves lately. In all these years, all Game Freak has been able to accomplish is making it increasingly more difficult to fill up one's Pokedex. Their games really haven't improved all the much, aside from the gimmicks that don't have much to do with actual gameplay.

I'd like a Pokemon game with options. I'd like to be able to design my own character, and to be able to make choices in the games that allow for a more flexible storyline and increased player individuality.

Actually, I thought it was implied in the game that he does speak. I remember one part where some guy says, "Oh, sorry. I didn't hear you." and another moment where he asks you a yes or no question and he takes your response without any problem.

I thought the basis of Half Life was that they joked about the fact that he never talked with lines like that.

That, and boxes.

Let me tell you something, hard games: good. Games that are done in a day: bad
I can beat the original Sonic the Hedgehog in under an hour. Sonic 3 & Knuckles in about 2.

The problem isn't legevity but rather the replay value. If a game isn't fun, why would you want to play it again?

Going back to roots. Yeah, I said it. Seriously, I'm all up for nostalgia as everyone else, sure. But what's the point? SEGA and Nintendo are "Going back to their roots" probably because they ran out of creative things?
This is highly unlikely, but I would prefer to see something more original than returning to something already done ages ago.

Also, world maps. Pssshht

guns. seriously it seems that the only way to get attention to a game is putting guns in it these days.

agreed on gimmick controls and going back to roots. nsmb focused on it too much... like the level end flag *hint: "new".

And sega is making the new sega like that because sonic games gone way downhill and get so much crap, they have no choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back