The Platinum Sparks Pack!

The Platinum Sparks Pack! v1.2

Mylo T.

Mylo The Wolf submitted a new resource:

The Platinum Sparks Pack! Version 1.0! - 32MB of beautiful karting glory!

The official release of the Platinum Sparks Pack is finally here! Sparkplug Studios (Mylo the Wolf) and Team Platinum (Jana Sol) have joined forces to form Team Platinum Sparks! And with this we bring a whole new map pack to the table!

There are 2 versions of this pack: Complete and Battleless
The Complete pack contains all the maps the pack has to offer while the Battleless pack only includes the race maps.

DISCLAIMER:
Zero Space has issues on both Software and Vanilla OpenGL...

Read more about this resource...

Yo gave your "Zero Space" level a run in our rotation, didn't get the rest of your level pack in our rotation, but i love megaman x level themes a lot, and especially love the look/music of the map. So I'd thought i'd share stream highlight of some comments from my discord racers and of course, question of pointless short-cuts (I'd think some ramp-jumps could be solved with some boost at tip of ramp jump) some possible rank-placement jank to check points that affect item rng. We're not really professional or strong critic, take it as you may, but I'd like to see what you think from our stream highlight and maybe see improvement to some areas if you think so? Thanks for making this map!

Stream Highlight:

Yo gave your "Zero Space" level a run in our rotation, didn't get the rest of your level pack in our rotation, but i love megaman x level themes a lot, and especially love the look/music of the map. So I'd thought i'd share stream highlight of some comments from my discord racers and of course, question of pointless short-cuts (I'd think some ramp-jumps could be solved with some boost at tip of ramp jump) some possible rank-placement jank to check points that affect item rng. We're not really professional or strong critic, take it as you may, but I'd like to see what you think from our stream highlight and maybe see improvement to some areas if you think so? Thanks for making this map!

Stream Highlight:
Hi! Mapper of these tracks here. Zero Space is a bit funky with the checkpointing, however, aside from the tube, no one in testing pointed out any oddities with item distribution, also why the item set is after the tube not before. The issue that may be arising is just the distance between checkpoints more than anything else. In regards to placement jank, that also never came up in our round 2 of testing. The only reason i could see anything like that still happening is if the checkpoints over rails broke again and was never addressed in the last 2 hour test session. I honestly am not sure what can be done to fix USEODDS issues, my guess is either it is exaggerating the distance between first and other positions, or it was just a fluke that came from first place having such a large frontrun. I'm glad you enjoy the track, expect some more updates as I work on finishing off my full ideas for this track. By the way, check it out in encore mode if you want a little more :)

Mylo The Wolf updated The Platinum Sparks Pack! Version 1.0! with a new update entry:

The "We pushed Kart a bit too far" update

-TPS Pack version 1.1 Patch Notes-

Mudslap Stadium:
-First fence shortcut is now more visible
-Slightly altered the ending section

Zero Space:
-Reverted to Neutered version for main fork
-Fixed wall clipping out of the tube
-Fixed softlock inside tube
-Removed bonus room
-Optimized stage for vanilla 1.3

NOTICE:
Note to Commenters: Please do not request we revert Zero Space back to the way it was before this patch. That WILL NOT happen until 1.4 releases and fixes the texture loading...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Doesn't seem like any of the maps are selectable in the new version, and if forced to load then the game just SIGSEGVs on you. I'm guessing that's because the main soc isn't in the right folder.

Doesn't seem like any of the maps are selectable in the new version, and if forced to load then the game just SIGSEGVs on you. I'm guessing that's because the main soc isn't in the right folder.
Yeah I fucked up. Uploaded the wrong version by accident. Just pushed another update to fix it. If it's still fucked I'm just making a new post and deleting this one

I have some things to say about Zero Space.
On a general thing: the road is white, the fences are blue and the skybox is also blue with complex patterns. this makes visibility poor.

You cant see the first turn
kart0001.png

There is no reason to use the rails as they are very slow also if you are using invis or sneakers you are just going to fall off.
kart0002.png

Again you cant see this turn, even the fence is invisible because of the skybox.
kart0003.png

You cant see this turn again plus this road tilt is usually used for left turns so this gives the impression of a banked left turn. and the position of the item set doesnt help.
kart0004.png

Same thing again plus rails attract the eye to the right.
kart0005.png

This angle makes it look that you need to continue drifting to the left but this is the end of the turn.
kart0006.png

This area is so unsafe that it is better (and faster if you have the speed stat for it) to go through the middle even if you dont have a boost item
kart0007.png

And about Mudslap Stadium, this signs switching between items actually make it more confusing. Just using a shoe already indicates that you need a speed item, if you pass when its showing grow or invis then you might think that there is spikes there or something.
kart0008.png

Also the game lags in Mudslap Stadium unlike its original release which is weird.

Last edited:
I have some things to say about Zero Space.
On a general thing: the road is white, the fences are blue and the skybox is also blue with complex patterns. this makes visibility poor.

You cant see the first turn
View attachment 61811

There is no reason to use the rails as they are very slow also if you are using invis or sneakers you are just going to fall off.
View attachment 61812

Again you cant see this turn, even the fence is invisible because of the skybox.
View attachment 61813

You cant see this turn again plus this road tilt is usually used for left turns so this gives the impression of a banked left turn. and the position of the item set doesnt help.
View attachment 61814

Same thing again plus rails attract the eye to the right.
View attachment 61815

This angle makes it look that you need to continue drifting to the left but this is the end of the turn.
View attachment 61816

This area is so unsafe that it is better (and faster if you have the speed stat for it) to go through the middle even if you dont have a boost item
View attachment 61817

And about Mudslap Stadium, this signs switching between items actually make it more confusing. Just using a shoe already indicates that you need a speed item, if you pass when its showing grow or invis then you might think that there is spikes there or something.
View attachment 61820

Also the game starts to lag around lap 3 and i dont know why.
Thank you for the feedback! It always helps us improve the maps going forward. To adress the issues you've pointed out here:
1. The issue with blind turns on Zero Space, we have plans to add signposting to most of the turns to help with visibility and sight reading.
2. The outward banked turns is intentional and won't be changed at all. It was designed like that as a gimmick. If it "feels wrong", it's meant to. It's meant to feel weird. Again though, going to add signposting to help.
3. Those optional rails are there BECAUSE of Invincibility and Grow. You WILL fall off the main path if you try and cross it with those items active. There wasn't really anything we could do about that. Though not adding signs to indicate as much was definitely a fail on our part lol.
4. That final multi-platform area at the end of Zero Space is very likely to get changed in the future, its just too unstable.
5. The animated indication signs for the 2 shortcuts in Mudslap is scrolling through all the different items you can take the cut with. The reason it's going fast is so that you DONT accidentally confuse it for a static sign implying only 1 item can be used.

Those optional rails are there BECAUSE of Invincibility and Grow. You WILL fall off the main path if you try and cross it with those items active.
That just sounds like bad design.

The reason it's going fast is so that you DONT accidentally confuse it for a static sign implying only 1 item can be used.
As it stands right now it DOES cause confusion. first time i passed one it was on hyuu and i thought "oh there must be some spikes over there or something" but then i saw it change in the corner of my eye and i literally did a double take.
Every other map just uses the sneaker icon, it works and nobody talks about it being confusing.

Also if you go fast in GBA Bowsers Castle 3 you can skip laps
kart0361.gif

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back