Teaching new players how to finish Co-Op.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalKirby

Also known as: Chaos Tails
Tonight I played with some friends of mine as part of a live stream. We eventually finished with some Co-Op. This is where things got...frustrating. I eventually managed to get everyone together, but it was hard with people who were playing the single player levels for the first time. One even got lost in the very beginning of the first stage, right before the first checkpoint. Sometimes very linear stages have their advantages...

Could you guys give me some tips on keeping everyone together next time I play with some new players (as in, just downloaded the game, but do know how to control their character)? Having them follow me works most of the time, and they do listen when I'm telling them about an obstacle ahead, but it's those times when the areas are wide open like in Greenflower that I tend to lose them. Act 2 is notorious for this. Castle Eggman is a tad easier, but still easy to get lost in. The Vs. Eggman Acts are no trouble at all with new players. Any other tips besides having some more experienced players in the game as well?

I believe F12 was the spectate key? Try having them hit that until they switch to your view, and then they can watch you complete the obstacle through your eyes.

Another good tool for getting someone to come with you is picking them up as Tails.

As a side note, SRB2 isn't really designed for coop play, it merely supports it. Probably the only time I've really enjoyed coop is when I was playing it with a single friend as Tails, helping him similarly to using the second controller to control Tails in S3K.

I don't even think it supports. Most of the Coop games, included mine, is just single-player but with multiplayer on, except the bosses.
Coop should have different maps that can actually do cooperation.

Oh, it supports it. It doesn't crash and the game mode works properly, code-wise. The mode works as intended by design; however, the game itself isn't designed for cooperative play. Single player stages are intended to be played in single player modes, they just happen to let you play coop and race on them too if you'd like.

People have been suggesting someone make a mod that forces real cooperative play pretty much since the inception of SRB2 multiplayer, but nobody has stepped forward and actually made such a thing.

Simsmagic said:
I believe F12 was the spectate key? Try having them hit that until they switch to your view, and then they can watch you complete the obstacle through your eyes.

That's a good idea. Guess I'll tell the players about the F12 button.

Mystic said:
Another good tool for getting someone to come with you is picking them up as Tails.

I do play as Tails in Co-Op, actually. The only time I switch to someone else is either some levels in Time Attack, or Time-Only Race (I don't play Sonic 2 style Race).

You know, it isn't even necessary to keep all the players together in Coop Mode. Only one person needs to clear the act.

Brown the dog said:
I think it's better to either put real coop levels in SRB2, either change the name since it's not actually coop.
Coop _IS_ cooperative, though. You're playing as a group with the goal of completing the single player levels. That's cooperative play. It's the mechanics of SRB2 that go counter to that goal, not the gametype itself.

Coop DOES work a little better in highly challenging stages, especially with overkill amounts of enemies (Although the stupidity of the enemy AI really tends to show when you do so).

As I said, Coop works really well when playing with a friend, especially in splitscreen. Otherwise it just doesn't work that great.

SRB2 normal levels aren´t designef for coop (as almost every user said) but the Mysticrealm stages give it a better chance on getting to play as a team (open areas, tricky places and the temples really make people do things like asking if they are going fine or where is the temple).

I think it'll be hard for us to teach anyone how to finish Co-op once ME comes out until we learn to do so ourselves.

But coop will be fun because then everyone will have to work together to beat it regardless if you know where the goal is.

Brown the dog said:
I think it's better to either put real coop levels in SRB2, either change the name since it's not actually coop.

I will maybe make Srb2 coop mod with levels where you have to work toghether with a Sonic and Tails gameplay like a part where Tails has to pick up Sonic. and Sonic will have to go one way tails goes the other and they both hit a bouton to unlock a door.

But coop never really stays together one timeyour all at the begging the next the advanced players are all near the end while Noobs go in a endless circle.

Eggmanfan said:
But coop never really stays together one timeyour all at the begging the next the advanced players are all near the end while Noobs go in a endless circle.
That's why PLAYERSFOREXIT is in SRB2ME, it's a variable in the MAINCFG that tells you how many players you need in the exit sector to finish a level.

At least, that's what I think it is.

...right, I figured it MIGHT have been that, because you don't know when you make a level how many players are gonna play it at once.

But of course I never go on my first instinct when posting. :(

Kitsune said:
That's why PLAYERSFOREXIT is in SRB2ME, it's a variable in the MAINCFG that tells you how many players you need in the exit sector to finish a level.

At least, that's what I think it is.

Not to go off the topic but, Will this PLAYERSFOREXIT variable have an option to require all players *Not a specific amount, Just all the players in game* to reach the end? Or will it be a specific amount no matter how many players are in the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back