Suggestions

Make it so the angle in 2D mode can be triggered to tilt (and untilt) via linedef, so we can create faster parts and allow players to... Well... See where they're going.

Actually, make it so that the tilt can be done via console commands. This way, we can bind 'em and script 'em.

Last edited:
On second thought, maybe the SRB1 mode stuff should just be merged in with 2d mode.

OH HELL NO

It'd just WRECK Project SAAS. I tried it in 2D mode, and it felt super slow and made some parts unbearable. SRB1 is for 9001 platforms, and not all 2D mode stages are gonna be like that.

The problem is that traditional 2D mode isn't really controllable at that speed. I really would rather just make SRB1's modifications apply to 2D mode across the board, especially so we can do more things like ERZ does.

The problem is that traditional 2D mode isn't really controllable at that speed. I really would rather just make SRB1's modifications apply to 2D mode across the board, especially so we can do more things like ERZ does.

True, but I like 2D the way it is, even if it's a bit hard to control. I shouldn't be forced SRB1 mode upon me just because I chose to have 2D. But having SRB1 mode as an additional sector effect could work also.

The fact that Knuckles can climb every surface.
srb20003.png
He can even climb no surface at all.

True, but I like 2D the way it is, even if it's a bit hard to control. I shouldn't be forced SRB1 mode upon me just because I chose to have 2D. But having SRB1 mode as an additional sector effect could work also.
Yeah, but what you're forgetting is that 2D is one of the game modes we've gotta support, and it makes no sense to have one controllable version of it and one uncontrollable version. Forcing it to work a specific way for everyone removes doubt in how it works in general, so when the player thoks in a 2D stage, they know what'll happen. That kind of consistency is important overall.

A "priority" spectating button. It would work much the same as the 'ol F12, but would view through a specific important player instead of having to cycle through the whole player roster, depending on the gametype
This is a dumb suggestion. However, having a button to snap back to the player's own viewpoint would be nice.

Could it be possible to disable player control while viewing another viewpoint, and snap back to the player once you hit any key?

Even with 1.09.4, it can be done properly, and you know it. Some people might WANT to use the fast 2D mode and manipulate the speed to the level's advantage. Rather than merging them, there should be an easy way to determine at first sight whether it is regular 2D or SRB1 remake 2D.

Yeah, but surely you saw that the 1.09.4 2D map that didn't suck did all sorts of trickery to prevent the player from going fast to fix that problem. Why make the designer go through all that?

After discussing with Mystic and finding out that there isn't a way to adjust random spawns anymore, and that furthermore it would be insanely complicated to set up a menu to alter the randomspawn tables(and to operate said menu), and that it would be easier to just have a bunch of different random spawn tables to select from.

So I'm suggesting just that. But more than that, I'm suggesting a few of the tables that ought to be included: Namely, some tables that exclude the recycler, and tables balanced for 1v1...and hell, a separate table balanced for CTF. Depending on how many there were made intended for whatever situation, you could have an automatic option that chose one of the tables based on the in-game conditions...but it's not likely that will happen.

I still want the ability to be able to alter the randomspawn tables though, maybe create my own tables to select from.

You just want to complain about the recycler more, don't you.

Anyways, MAPCREDITS (and possibly SUBTITLE) in the map header field needs to die. It takes up unnecessary space showing unnecessary info on what should be a simple title card. It shouldn't have been added in the first place.

(damn vBulletin and your stupid filter. die in a fire.)

Surely I saw? I made that map! And let me tell you, the new camera distance does open several new possibilites, like you said it would. I couldn't put multiple crushers on the screen at once. Now I can!

...OK, OK, so it started getting very difficult after the second Star Post to put in a gimmick that actually worked. And some of the techniques are still going to have to be employed one way or another in parts of any type of Sonic 2D level just if 1) Sonic goes fast, even without a thok, or 2) there are no slopes.

But what I'm saying is that all those issues just go away with SRB1 remake's physics. You can control your speed at all times, you can see what's coming, and it's overall a better experience. If the player wants to go really fast, they can still spindash and zoom forward. The speed limit was in the classic games for a very good reason, after all.

Greenflower Zone Act 1 is short and linear intentionally. There are multiple reasons why we keep it so small.

GFZ1 is essentially SRB2's "tutorial" level. The linearity makes it easier for newer players to figure out where they're going, as well as allowing them to familiarize themselves with the controls in a simple area with no real complexity. When new with the controls in SRB2, GFZ1 feels huge and has a ton of little things for the player to do, such as get on top of the island in the land with the house, and exploring the rooms of the stage. I have watched many players' first experience in GFZ1 and I know it performs this job very well, as most players take a couple minutes in GFZ1 figuring out what's going on.

Making it longer would also make it far more possible to get lost in the level, which isn't something we'd like to have happen in the first stage. Because it's such a linear level it makes it much easier on a new player by presenting clear direction and goals, such as crossing the bridge over the lake.

While yes, it can be beaten in 10 seconds, GFZ1 serves its purpose incredibly well and we would be foolish to dramatically revamp it.
Ah, I see. I guess I just got bored of the zone.

Last edited by a moderator:
As fas as I know, other shields don't make any effect on super characters: nothing happens if player gets Force Shield, Armageddon Shield, Whirlwind Shield or Elemental Shield; but Attraction Shield makes super characters drain all rings from the map and it's almost impossible to defeat them.
Wrong.

I got an Elemental Shield in CTF and its effect remained. I still left a trail of fire and was unable to drown, as well. But I agree. Shield effects should be disabled during a Super form in Match/Tag/CTF modes, because they're no fair by sparing the player 1 hit (a quick one if you're using Auto).

Sonic 2 has it as well when just running. You can roll and break the limit, and if SRB2 had slopes it would work fine in SRB2 as well. As long as you're just running normally and not having hit a spring or something else that would cause you to break the limit, you run at a reasonable speed in the classic games.

Can we please have a normal damage flag? It's annoying to have to use the Fire flag to make something hurt the player.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 11, Members: 0, Guests: 11)

Back