Starry Sky Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zipper

:hildaGun:
I tried to make a legit SRB2-playstyled level again, since my last attempt was in 2011, and we know how THAT turned out.

Turns out I didn't improve at all, but now I can use excessive lua to mask my shameful design choices, yay!

So yeah, short level, has custom enemies, a custom boss, custom music, all the obligatory new content. It's pretty simple if you rush through it, but the boss will take a while. Enjoy!

Attachments

• starrysky.rar
    7.4 MB · Views: 1,192
  • srb20183.png
    srb20183.png
    133.3 KB · Views: 1,338
  • srb20184.png
    srb20184.png
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,110
  • srb20185.png
    srb20185.png
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,100
  • srb20186.png
    srb20186.png
    136.6 KB · Views: 1,078
Last edited:
Useless reviews.

Alright, I recorded a playthrough so you can see how bad I am at this game.

Praise the new youtube tag

Anyway, as for text criticism, I don't have a lot of bad things to say, I liked the platform and wall gimmick, the music was also pretty catchy (Even tough I had my ears bleeding when I came to GFZ2 =|) However, I had a constant FPS drop while playing through this, might be because of record, Lua or the level itself, I don't really know.

I had to admit I laughed when I saw those enemies trying to 360 Noscope me and then suiciding because of how bad their aim is, and I was scared by that Tornado Maker 'Scuse me, I don't know shit about Touhou., like "What the fuck is that?!"
I also don't know if that was supposed to be the boss fight you talked about, in this case, pardon me but I was kind of lazy to fight her, I guess.

I also don't know if that was supposed to be the boss fight you talked about, in this case, pardon me but I was kind of lazy to fight her, I guess.

Look at the fourth screenshot. There is literally one butterfly-shaped decoration in the level, you'd at least THINK of standing on it, wouldn't you?

edit:(don't take this wrong btw, it's still my job as the level designer to make these things somewhat clear)

Last edited:
You'd at least THINK of standing on it, wouldn't you?

Sorry, I have an underdevolopped and not fully functionning brain.
...Blame me for not looking the decorations and the screenshots XP

Look at the fourth screenshot. There is literally one butterfly-shaped decoration in the level, you'd at least THINK of standing on it, wouldn't you?

That butterfly is like a cutted orange. Also, the level have potential but, those tornado sprites were ridiculous. Try something like that.

whirlwind.png

Last edited:
I thought it was pretty fun level. I love what you did for the platforms that appear when you get close to them. Imagine some new levels you can create around those platforms. Also the boss was pretty neat as well. Provided a good challenge without it being too hard.

A good level. Zipper, I consistently sing your praises whenever you make things.

Maybe a little too 'hou, though. <3

Yay, more Touhou content!

I couldn't feel anything too cheap or bad about the level, however I will say your choice of music for the
yuyuko fight
was... interesting to say the least.

Other than that, I love what content I've seen and I hope you keep making more!

Also, kinda me nitpicking, but the grass ledges seem inapropriate.
As far as I remember while doing Floral Road, GRSEDG4 should be more suitable.
Speaking of which, there's a missing grass ledge on the left, at 2:14 in my shitty video.

That was an incredible display of lua scripting. The level wasn't bad, either!

I decided to give this level a try. The appearing platforms and walls was a nice touch. My favorite part was the mini boss. That was challenging. I don't know if anyone noticed, but it saved the rings I had before entering it, and I appreciate that. My memories of Touhou return to me.. You shall not pass. I enjoyed the level overall for it's use of the gimmick. It has some interesting level design, and there's always something new to do, in addition to having it's own detail everywhere. However there were some cases where the appearing platforms can cause you to spin under them to an inevitable doom near the beginning. That was the real only troubling section, and hopefully you can do something about it. This occupied my morning, time well spent. That music on Act 2..

Last edited:
Well... what can I say? it was...
a-ok. The level isn't bad, but it has some flaws.
I did, however, love the Touhou references, and I loved the music! Definetly my favorite song from Touhou 13.
BUT, my gameplay with this level? a complete failure.
now, I'm not saying this is a bad level, actually, it's better than anything I could do, to be honest. But it was pretty bad.
To start off, there were places I could not climb, so I ended up falling to the abyss.
Also, the enemies were placed in locations that were kinda hard to reach (such as the one near the boss)
My least favorite part was the battle with the Goliath Doll. I didn't know what to do and just walked around. I also kept getting worried about getting hit by the storms Goliath released and ended up dying for stupid reasons.
But the level is alright, flaws here and there, but still ok. Again, better than anything I could do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back