Resource icon

SRB2 VR Mod SRB2VR 1.1

chreas

chreas submitted a new resource:

SRB2 VR Mod - enables steamvr in srb2

Any VR headset that can connect to SteamVR now works in Sonic Robo Blast 2 with full stereoscopic 3d and 6DoF head tracking. Both third person and first person modes are supported. Mod must launched with "-openvr -skipintro -win" to access VR. Navigate to Video Settings -> VR Settings to find more options to configure the experience to your liking.

Built off of the SRB2 Uncapped mod.

VIDEO:

Read more about this resource...

bro how did you even pull this off lol
anyways i might try it later but great job on this
i watched the video and it looked really cool

As awesome as this is, it's kind of heartbreaking for me. Years ago I had a PC and a prototype Oculus headset and was more excited for the future of gaming than I'd ever been. I ran a youtube channel where I'd play old gamecube games in Dolphin VR. Since then I've lost everything (pc, headset, job, home, the majority of my will to live, etc). I got into SRB2 because I've been so poor for so long and it was one of the few worthwhile games I could play on my phone. Seeing this kinda reminds me how removed I am from the world and all the things in it I used to be passionate about. But that's a good thing, really, because it means you did a great job. I hope I get to try this someday

This mod is extremely well done! I was wondering though, Is there a way to set it so that the movement and HUD follow the HMD instead of it always being in a set position in first person? I can understand having it be that way in third person, but it feels awkward to control in FPS mode otherwise.

Mod won't work on my Valve Index. It just shows a black screen. I tried all the stuff the post said to do when you get a black screen, but it doesn't work. I also get an error in the console saying "Error: VR Compositor Submit Frame [LEFT EYE] ERROR: 108"

This looks really cool! however I am having issues getting this to work for myself, in the console it says "Error: VR Compositor Submit Frame [LEFT EYE] ERROR: 108", i've tried the suggestions and none of them are really working so far.

Hey there :)

Index / Nvidia 3000 series user with latest drivers here; the game is displayed in the same eyeglasses as the ones in the miniature of the creator’s youtube video. I know at least one more person with the same HMD that has this very same problem.

I will be glad to test debug if you are willing to, just PM me :)

Index users, try setting your resolution to 82% (1824x2028). Through some admittedly frustrating trial and error I've seemed to narrow down that any higher of a resolution will cause the error "Error: VR Compositor Submit Frame [LEFT EYE] ERROR: 108" and skews your view in a way that makes the game unplayable.

EDIT: After running through the game a bit more, the error just seems to spit out whenever it switches between VR and the flatscreen menus, so it might not actually have anything to do with the Index resolution errors. I have experienced no errors or problems after setting the correct resolution.

Last edited:
Index users, try setting your resolution to 82% (1824x2028). Through some admittedly frustrating trial and error I've seemed to narrow down that any higher of a resolution will cause the error "Error: VR Compositor Submit Frame [LEFT EYE] ERROR: 108" and skews your view in a way that makes the game unplayable.

EDIT: After running through the game a bit more, the error just seems to spit out whenever it switches between VR and the flatscreen menus, so it might not actually have anything to do with the Index resolution errors. I have experienced no errors or problems after setting the correct resolution.
Your post actually ended up leading me to what the real problem is. For some reason, SRB2 has a maximum resolution of 2K, less than what the index requires.SRB2Kart does not have this limitation so we never had this issue there. I upped SRB2 to 8K for now and that seems to work when I crank my vive scale to > 300%. I'll post new builds some time tomorrow after making a few more tweaks. I'm hoping the other changes I made will resolve AMD users not getting any picture at all.

In the meantime if any of you are comfortable building the game from source you can get it here and play with the fixes right away: https://git.do.srb2.org/chreas/SRB2/-/tree/openvr

Your post actually ended up leading me to what the real problem is. For some reason, SRB2 has a maximum resolution of 2K, less than what the index requires.SRB2Kart does not have this limitation so we never had this issue there. I upped SRB2 to 8K for now and that seems to work when I crank my vive scale to > 300%. I'll post new builds some time tomorrow after making a few more tweaks. I'm hoping the other changes I made will resolve AMD users not getting any picture at all.

In the meantime if any of you are comfortable building the game from source you can get it here and play with the fixes right away: https://git.do.srb2.org/chreas/SRB2/-/tree/openvr
Glad I could be any sort of help, and thanks for the quick fix! I was a huge fan of your SRB2Kart VR mod and was thrilled to see a SRB2 proper version of it. Keep up the good work! :wonderful:

yeah even with the changes i still get no picture. Like, the desktop window shows stuff fine, but its just completely black in the headset. My headset works fine, because i can still see the steamvr menu if i open it, but whether its open or not, nothing in the game renders. also, i cant set the desktop render to the "both eyes" setting. and if i close the game with vr on, when i reopen it, it gives me a sigsev violation and wont reopen until i delete the config file

yeah even with the changes i still get no picture. Like, the desktop window shows stuff fine, but its just completely black in the headset. My headset works fine, because i can still see the steamvr menu if i open it, but whether its open or not, nothing in the game renders. also, i cant set the desktop render to the "both eyes" setting. and if i close the game with vr on, when i reopen it, it gives me a sigsev violation and wont reopen until i delete the config file
If you're not getting the picture in your headset and the console isn't giving any VR error codes I don't really have anything to go on unfortunately. Leave VR mode "Off" in the options menu but start the game with the -openvr option to play in VR. I haven't had time to debug why the windows version can crash if you start the game in VR mode without using -openvr. I might end up taking that setting out of the menu for SRB2 and making people launch VR mode using the command line.

Switching to first person crashed the game for me with this error message:

Code:
SRB2 v2.2.9 (Uncapped v2.0+VRv1.0) Error
libpng error at 354e36f8: Invalid IHDR data

Where Exactly Do I Put -openvr -skipintro -win, I Assumed It Was On The Launch Options Of SteamVR But I Still Only See Dark

Turns Out There Was A .bat File On The Older Mod With Those Parameters But It Is Still Dark Even When Running Through That

Last edited:
Cool, I theorized this like 3 years ago and it actually happened! Shame it doesn't work on AMD graphics though

Hey so do I put the .dll file in the game's directory? Also, when i try to run "./lsdl2srb2 -openvr -skipintro -win" in the console like the .txt file says to do, it says the command is not known. What do I do??
Yes you put both the .exe and .dll in the game's directory. My apologies I must have left the Linux instructions in the Windows zip. Try "./srb2win.exe -openvr -skipintro -win" or "srb2win.exe -openvr -skipintro -win"

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back