SRB 2.2.x on Windows 9x/2000?

zachub03

I recently began tinkering with a Pentium III laptop I acquired (IBM Thinkpad T20 w/P3 700mhz, 512mb RAM, S3 Savage/IX 8mb vram, running Windows 2000 SP4) and one of the things I've done with it is get SRB 2.1.8 running using the build posted here: https://mb.srb2.org/threads/state-of-the-win9x-dos-builds.25200/. It runs fairly well given the hardware, running anywhere from 5fps - full speed depending on area and resolution. This got me thinking though, would it be possible at all to get any version of 2.2 working on Windows 9x/2000?

I recently began tinkering with a Pentium III laptop I acquired (IBM Thinkpad T20 w/P3 700mhz, 512mb RAM, S3 Savage/IX 8mb vram, running Windows 2000 SP4) and one of the things I've done with it is get SRB 2.1.8 running using the build posted here: https://mb.srb2.org/threads/state-of-the-win9x-dos-builds.25200/. It runs fairly well given the hardware, running anywhere from 5fps - full speed depending on area and resolution. This got me thinking though, would it be possible at all to get any version of 2.2 working on Windows 9x/2000?
i think its impossible because srb2 2.1 can run on windows 9x but 2.2 cannot

I've heard that it's easy to build SRB2 on GNU/Linux, you should upgrade to that (e.g. Debian, Q4OS, or some other lightweight distro) instead of trying to run it on an ancient version of Windows. (Maybe one of the BSDs will also work for you (OpenBSD, NetBSD, or FreeBSD; DragonFly BSD is 64-bit–only), but I'm not sure that the build system of SRB2 explicitly supports BSD, so you might have to do some tinkering. If the computer is that old it might be worth to install a good BSD system on it, as they should be lightweight and may better support your hardware. Just my two cents. Also, if you haven't done it already, you should run Memtest86+ and a SMART self-test to ensure your old hardware still works properly.)

Last edited:
I bet you could, but due to the old hardware it will probably crash alot, my pc from 12 years ago can run the newest version just fine, but your hardware is almost 30 years old

I bet you could, but due to the old hardware it will probably crash alot, my pc from 12 years ago can run the newest version just fine, but your hardware is almost 30 years old
SRB2 (and SRB2Kart) has been ported to various esoteric platforms with very limited hardware. I'm not sure a Windows 2000–grade computer with 512 MiB of RAM is that old for SRB2, especially with a lightweight operating system on top. (By the way, Windows 2000 is not Windows 9x.)

Last edited:
SRB2 (and SRB2Kart) has been ported to various esoteric platforms with very limited hardware. I'm not sure a Windows 2000–grade computer with 512 MiB of RAM is that old for SRB2, especially with a lightweight operating system on top. (By the way, Windows 2000 is not Windows 9x.)
yeah i guess, Ive gotten srb2 to run on sbc's with like a 2010 phone chip and 64 mib ram and they worked, also srb2 is on an older version of doom and doom runs on anything, so srb2 should be safe

I should mention that SRB2 barely runs in 98 with an 800MHz processor (PIII)... and that was on an early 2.1 version. 2.2 will never run on average hardware for 98, mark my words.

I don't even think it wouldn't run, thinking of that 2.1.8 port to Win9x using SDL2 it might be perfect for 2.2.10 (2.2.11 might actually be incompatible for Win9x or old NT).
Since Windows XP you can be perfectly sure to play SRB2 2.2.11, even tho it isn't that fast.
As SRB2 was made off Doom Legacy (1.28 to 1.4x from what I think) and Doom Legacy is old as hell in the world with Sonic Doom, it is (fwit) possible to port it to 1.28?? (I think 50/50 about it).
We even got to port OpenGL maze to Windows 10! That maze is as old as 1995.
Although we are just thinking no, it might be possible.
Post automatically merged:

Also this isn't related, but today my aunt that has been 2 years in USA is coming back to Argentina, my country! I will be able to practice english :D

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back