The Special Stages are based off of the zones in this game, for example

Special Stage 1 - Floral Field - Greenflower
Special Stage 2 - Toxic Plateau - Techno Hill
Special Stage 3 - Flooded Cove - Deep Sea
Special Stage 4 - Cavern Fortress - Castle Eggman
Special Stage 5 - Dusty Wasteland - Arid Canyon
Special Stage 6 - Magma Caves - Red Volcano
Special Stage 7 - Egg Satellite - Egg Rock

I always find myself getting all of the chaos emeralds before Deep Sea, and thus theres no longer an incentive to look for the special tokens in each stage. So what if you could only go to the special stage that the stage you are in is based off of. You can only get Greenflower's Chaos Emerald from Greenflower. Then there's an actual reason to look for special tokens in egg rock zone, and it makes more sense in general. If you're gonna have the special stages be connected to the stages, then logically this makes way more sense.

That idea sounds WAY too based off of Sonic Pocket Adventure, and the execution there wasn't too good, so how would we fix it for SRB2?

I find it more fun to get one emerald token in each of the seven zones than get all the emeralds as soon as possible, for pretty much exactly the reasons you stated. Mostly because it gets tiring doing the same pattern over and over again.

The Special Stages are based off of the zones in this game, for example

Special Stage 1 - Floral Field - Greenflower
Special Stage 2 - Toxic Plateau - Techno Hill
Special Stage 3 - Flooded Cove - Deep Sea
Special Stage 4 - Cavern Fortress - Castle Eggman
Special Stage 5 - Dusty Wasteland - Arid Canyon
Special Stage 6 - Magma Caves - Red Volcano
Special Stage 7 - Egg Satellite - Egg Rock

I always find myself getting all of the chaos emeralds before Deep Sea, and thus theres no longer an incentive to look for the special tokens in each stage. So what if you could only go to the special stage that the stage you are in is based off of. You can only get Greenflower's Chaos Emerald from Greenflower. Then there's an actual reason to look for special tokens in egg rock zone, and it makes more sense in general. If you're gonna have the special stages be connected to the stages, then logically this makes way more sense.

That'd be fine... if there wasn't one big issue: you'd barely even be able to ever use Super during first run, then, because at max you'd get to use one act for you to use Super, Egg Rock 2, or you'd have to wait until you beat Brak. I don't think that's a good thing, and effectively makes Super more like in the Modern games: you only get it at the end.

Last edited:
I think it's fine the way it is. If you want to limit yourself so that you only do each special stage around the time of the zone it resembles, that's something you're free to do. If you want to get all the emeralds as fast as possible, that's also a choice you have as the player. That kind of freedom to play how you want to instead of being forced into doing something the way someone else sees is "correct" is much better game design in my opinion.

Yeah, I don't really agree with the idea of only being able to use Super when there's basically no campaign left to use it in.

I feel like tokens should be reverted back to their pre-2.2 behavior, where they topped you off with 50 rings as opposed to a continue so there'd at least be a bit more incentive to look for them after getting all the emeralds.

Sonic 3D Blast DX had that "one Emerald per zone" idea as well but it's not very good to incite people to find the token in said zone.

People rather spam Emerald Hill/Angel Island/Mushroom Hill to get the remaining Emeralds to get their super characters.

Remember, these special stages have quite the learning curve for new players. If you limit their attempts this way, it'll be rather punishing, and needlessly confusing. I foresee tons of players coming here, asking why they can't get the Emeralds they missed in Greenflower Zone. I'm fine with it in other games, where it makes more sense, but not this one.

Remember, these special stages have quite the learning curve for new players. If you limit their attempts this way, it'll be rather punishing, and needlessly confusing. I foresee tons of players coming here, asking why they can't get the Emeralds they missed in Greenflower Zone. I'm fine with it in other games, where it makes more sense, but not this one.
And it was a somewhat objective flaw, if you didn't get any emerald by Spring Yard 2 in the first game you would reset the console.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back