Sonic the Hedgehog MVD: October 1st Demo

Sonic the Hedgehog MVD: October 1st Demo 2.2

cube

Cosmix submitted a new resource:

Sonic the Hedgehog MVD - October 1st Demo - Brief demonstration of a standard 12 level pack being developed.

Our newest entry to the Message Board is here, however please check the editing thread for more information, a summary of the game is posted here for newcomers. Keep in mind, however, that this is only a demonstration of what is to become a large singleplayer campaign mod in the far future, maybe two years..

Sonic the Hedgehog MVD:

INTRODUCTION:
Sonic the...

Read more about this resource...

I'll hold off on reviewing since it is obvious the project is still in its infancy, but I will note that something appears to be a bit wonky on how the water FoF at the beginning of Tropicana Coast is setup (in Software, much of it does not render).

It is generally good practice to take care of glitches right away when building zones just to ensure they are not forgotten about.

I released version 2.1 so that most rendering issues are gone by now, and there is the most recent version of Junio Sonic added too.
You can read the changelog from the text in the pk3. Now have fun with the levels, for real this time! 😳
Post automatically merged:

I've provided less content for the demo on purpose so that everything else comes in with the full release later on, that and this is a demo. Most of the reviewers here weren't even aware of that.
Please keep that in mind before making a proper review. :P

Last edited:
So I understand this is just a small look into what you made and so will just focus on the act you've put out.

The level is pretty short and doesn't particularly feel designed for anyone but Junio, now there isn't any issue with this if you're clear upfront about a mod being designed for a certain character but trying this as anyone else was generally pretty unpleasant so my thoughts will be regarding how the design plays with Junio and the first room comes off to a really bad start with the usage of slopes and springs. The springs pretty much cut your boost shut and feel too steep to even really move on in a way that's enjoyable, especially the final one where you're just barely not sliding down heading to the other spring. I feel like having a ramp or something to jump off between them would be a more enjoyable experience if you want to focus on momentum styled gameplay.

The second room is pretty fine but also over in about 15 secs, however jumping from the top of what I'm just gonna call obelisks, even if there's a better geological term, was actually interesting if not somewhat basic due to the lack of any real obstacle aside from falling down. The lower area isn't particularly great but it's better than just having a pit so I'll give you that. Similar thoughts for the third area, pretty short and requiring the use of the ability for Junio is a pace breaker. My main issue aside from the very short length is how it feels like there isn't really much detail put into any of the areas at all, either in terms of things to actually look for to explore, or just in decoration.

I feel like this is a pretty rough start but I'm interested to see how you change and improve as this pack goes on.

Version 2.2 has released with a few fixes for both singleplayer acts, and the new tutorial dialogue is also present. Have fun!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back