• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Sonic Surge Demo 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks alot like Tortured Planet you should change the level design a little bit and maybe try making your own badniks and bosses.

S3&K References

I've been getting a little inspiration from S3&K recently...

cn5c1.png

PWocK.png
Anyway, LLZ1 is almost done, as with LLZ3.

EDIT: Once I figure out a story-line, I'm going to change the name of this.

Maybe it would be possible to rip or recreate the original texture? I think that's frowned upon here, but the texture in your screenshot is really monochromatic by comparison.

More level ideas!

:/ Well... What about level themes that haven't been done in the official games before? Like, what about a Paris catacombs-style level, complete with walls composed of skulls? Yes, it's a bit macabre, but at least it hasn't been done before.

Or what about mixing two established level tropes? I was really hoping the Single Player campaign would get a fire/ice level in RVZ2/BMZ, but it seems that's busted. What about a desert/ice stage? It wouldn't have to make sense if it plays well.

Last edited:
:/ Well... What about level themes that haven't been done in the official games before? Like, what about a Paris catacombs-style level, complete with walls composed of skulls? Yes, it's a bit macabre, but at least it hasn't been done before.

Or what about mixing two established level tropes? I was really hoping the Single Player campaign would get a fire/ice level in RVZ2/BMZ, but it seems that's busted. What about a desert/ice stage? It wouldn't have to make sense if it plays well.

I already have all the themes in my mind (And trust me, there will be original ideas and gimmicks!). Just have to add it to the first post...

YES! There is so many possible themes that could be done, but no one ever does them! We have way too many Greenflowers, Beaches, Mines, and Factories, and not enough Airships, Mountains, Swamps, and Oceans.

I have to tell you Tyler, I look forward to playing this. Especially Lush Lake Zone, it looks very original.

YES! There is so many possible themes that could be done, but no one ever does them! We have way too many Greenflowers, Beaches, Mines, and Factories, and not enough Airships, Mountains, Swamps, and Oceans.

I have to tell you Tyler, I look forward to playing this. Especially Lush Lake Zone, it looks very original.

Rockbound Cliffs Zone. :3 Anyway, expect all level concepts act-by-act in the first post either tonight or early tomorrow.

I tested the first beta ... I'll be honest, I didn't like and I'll explain why.
You started creating level there not too long ago, you didn't make only one level, the Pantheon style Aerial Garden. And you create already a mod ? It's much too quickly. Even me, I know the design in around 65-70%, I canceled temporarily T. Line, and I will take it once I control all functions and all styles of level design.

And I must say that for now, you should learn a few things about creating .. In fact, I suggest you pause on your pack and train yourself.
But I have a question that changes everything.

Make you a MOD or a PACK ? There is a wide difference.

I tell you, make a mod after having made only one level, it is strictly impossible. You can't make a good mod if you're too quickly. You can maybe make a pack, but a integer mod, impossible.

Analyzing your mod now.

Lush Lake Zone : I noticed this right away : it's too narrow. 2-3 times I fell initially on the aquatics plants to the water. And I fell lots of times the tree with platforms (linedef 100) wood. Do not be afraid to have large sectors. Do not be afraid to have areas that are empty. The decoration shall not be everywhere! Take GFZ of SRB2. There is enough space to run, and there are areas without decorations.
.. Well, then, you need to know how to control the ColorMap Linedef, there is always need in a natural area. There was always water in the forest.
For the boss ... the arena is a bit hard. This is only the first zone. There are a lot of trunks in all directions, I often falls into the white water.
Sandstone Pillars Zone 3 : A black hole around? It's a strange idea ... The idea of a small platform with stairs and two stone columns is good because it reflects the desert style, but the hole ... huu...he can be better with Light blocs (linedef 200-201), but I think it's even better if you remove it, and search another idea. Why not simply put sands instead of this hole ?

I wonder about that wad I saw called, "Gem Planet". Is it more to it on the beta, or will it be even more to it when like the final one comes out

I tested the first beta ... I'll be honest, I didn't like and I'll explain why.
You started creating level there not too long ago, you didn't make only one level, the Pantheon style Aerial Garden. And you create already a mod ? It's much too quickly. Even me, I know the design in around 65-70%, I canceled temporarily T. Line, and I will take it once I control all functions and all styles of level design.

And I must say that for now, you should learn a few things about creating .. In fact, I suggest you pause on your pack and train yourself.
But I have a question that changes everything.

Make you a MOD or a PACK ? There is a wide difference.

I tell you, make a mod after having made only one level, it is strictly impossible. You can't make a good mod if you're too quickly. You can maybe make a pack, but a integer mod, impossible.

Analyzing your mod now.

Lush Lake Zone : I noticed this right away : it's too narrow. 2-3 times I fell initially on the aquatics plants to the water. And I fell lots of times the tree with platforms (linedef 100) wood. Do not be afraid to have large sectors. Do not be afraid to have areas that are empty. The decoration shall not be everywhere! Take GFZ of SRB2. There is enough space to run, and there are areas without decorations.
.. Well, then, you need to know how to control the ColorMap Linedef, there is always need in a natural area. There was always water in the forest.
For the boss ... the arena is a bit hard. This is only the first zone. There are a lot of trunks in all directions, I often falls into the white water.
Sandstone Pillars Zone 3 : A black hole around? It's a strange idea ... The idea of a small platform with stairs and two stone columns is good because it reflects the desert style, but the hole ... huu...he can be better with Light blocs (linedef 200-201), but I think it's even better if you remove it, and search another idea. Why not simply put sands instead of this hole ?

It's a pack, I don't have enough free-time to do a mod.

For LLZ1, I figured the platforming sections would be a bit hard. I'm going to add a few things to make it easier ;)
Too narrow? Not a problem!
About colormaps, what do you mean, exactly? Are you saying that I should put a certain colormap everywhere, or remove the fog blocks that flow into the water in the lily-pad area?

For LLZ3, I might just remove the central logs and add one huge lily-pad, to fit the theme and make the boss easier.

For SPZ3, It's supposed to take place on the top of the temple, and I couldn't make the temple flood with quicksand. XD
I'll add light blocks, and see if that looks any better.

Sorry, double post, but the Beta is up!

Ah yes, cool indeed.

So, I tried it out...
The first thing I realized gave me a chuckle. The start is almost exactly the same as the one in my first level. Start in an octagon room with one passageway with flowers out. For that matter, it's pretty much the same one as in GFZ1

Then, my next impression was "FUUUUUUU" when I saw that you used Fog Blocks for shafts of light. I thought I was the first one to think of that. XD

The pond with the lilypads was cute too, I was kind of expecting more to do with that...

From here on there were a few more cute parts, like the treefort climb and stuff... But sadly, the level is surprisingly lacking.
Sure, you have a great taste for design, so that the level is cool to look at, but there's nothing much to it. It's very linear, with hardly anywhere to explore. In fact, it almost felt like you didn't have a logical flow to it in your mind, you just continued adding sectors, a new thing for each gimmick or decoration, and when you ran out of ideas, you stopped. For example, that last part with the mud. That felt so forced it's not even funny. It's probably a good idea to map out a layout for your level first, with multiple overlapping paths perhaps. For a good picture of neat level design, open up Sunshine Atoll Zone 1 or Tempest Valley Zone in DB and take a look at them And did I mention it's short, WAY too short?
Ah, and another thing... I noticed you use water textures a lot for waterfalls... That's not a big deal on things like the little trickle, but on the waterfall and pool at the end. That's just ugly. I'd try to use actual FOF's then. It just looks a lot better, and makes it more fun to explore. Speaking of which, that last room was VERY UGLY. Yucky color, half waterfalls... Seriously, do something about that.
Oh, and Sandstone Pillers Zone? I think you mean Pillars. :D

ZOMG PICNIC LUNCH YUM I'M HUNGRY

Oh, and Sandstone Pillers Zone? I think you mean Pillars. :D

Oops! XD

I think I should just keep the entire map inside the forest, just my opinion. I am going to extend the level, add more paths, and fix/edit some things before the next beta.

All the levels here are a little cramped for me, I'm a little wierd about that.

Lush Lake Zone 1 - This level is too straight-forward. the Lillipads are to small, its easy to fall off of, and that Frog Robot Thing is a little small and hard to hit, it looks wacky too and that ending room looked ugly and bland, it looks nothing special.

Lush Lake Zone 3 - This level is just too cramped for me.

Sandstone Pillars Zone 3 - This level looks like it was made lazely and is empty and not that fun. The two things on that Pyramid looking thing those long things can block eggman from getting away, so he's cornered, it makes the boss too easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back