Sonic Spinoffs: Should they return?

time gear

Eternity in an hour
For about a decade now SEGA and Sonic Team have been almost laser focused on the mainline series with the only real spinoff games to come out being Team Sonic Racing and the Boom games, maybe the new Murder Mystery game that released free on Steam a few days ago. Recently it was confirmed that SEGA is upping the budget of the Sonic series following the financial success of Frontiers. Should this increased budget come with more side projects in-between mainline releases? This could mean new spinoffs such as the new Murder Mystery game, or even the return of old spinoffs such as the Riders and Storybook series.

Personally, I'd love to see more spinoff games to help bridge the gap between mainline games. Keep Sonic Team focused on mainline entries with all the time they need to polish them, and work on side projects separately within SEGA or even outsource them to companies such as Dimps. A third Storybook game would be an absolute dream come true.

Eh, whatever floats their boat, as long as they don't hire completely clueless devs to make it. I'm still wondering how Bioware of all companies managed to butcher an RPG. Probably the same management issues that ruined Sonic X-treme's chances of ever being released.

Though their acquisition of Rovio does make me concerned, if only because I know how the finnish part of the game industry looks like. Many of the people in there ended up being morally bankrupt sell outs, while many others who got the degree were left unemployed where I live.

I think giving Knuckles his own game would be an opportunity to flesh out his character and explore new gameplay ideas. If they were going to make any nore spinoffs, I hope it would be that.

I think giving Knuckles his own game would be an opportunity to flesh out his character and explore new gameplay ideas. If they were going to make any nore spinoffs, I hope it would be that.
Honestly a more fleshed out version of his Adventure series gameplay could be a good alternative to bringing that gameplay style back in Adventure 3. Maybe even toss in Rouge as a second playable and make it co-op?

I just want more Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing games. They manage to play like Mario kart but do different things.

Personally, I think that Spin offs should go back to being as common as they were in the 2000s. When we had several spin offs between main games, since personally many of these spin offs became several of my favorite games of all time, like Shadow or the Sonic Riders,

Speaking of which, I would love for Sega to make another sonic riders, however I see it as quite impossible after the failure of Free Riders.

Absolutely. Why be stuck with just Olympic games? I think they need to go back to All Stars Racing/Transformed. Team Sonic Racing was weaksauce. Plus it ignores everything else Sega made in the past and present. Imagine Majima in a new All Stars Racing?
Post automatically merged:

A new Sonic The Fighters would be great too but even better would be a new Fighters Megamix that incorporates ALL of Sega, Sonic included! Plus you would get to play as the modern cast of Sonic games like Rouge, Shadow, Silver, Blaze, ect.
Post automatically merged:

I don't trust Dimps anymore after they screwed up Sonic 4. That game blows. Now a Sonic Advance trilogy remastered on modern consoles and Steam would be SWEET!

I'd like to see a real-time tactics game in the vein of Desperados III etc. While those games are very slow and stealth-based, I think the Sonic cast's large variety of abilities would make it worthwhile. You could justify the slow gameplay style by focusing it around espionage-type characters, like Rouge or the Chaotix. Or both.

It would be nice to see another Sonic Riders game too.

His character was sometimes really misterius,and it has some unanswered questions about his backstory.

For example,we never knew how did Knuckles even survived the attack of Perfect Chaos in SA1. Remember,all echidnas were killed,meaning that there is no one that could born Knuckles. Spin offs with story that explains the questions fans had (and nowdays still do) would be a perfect,especially with Frontiers being in existance,and that game had a good enough lore.

His character was sometimes really misterius,and it has some unanswered questions about his backstory.

For example,we never knew how did Knuckles even survived the attack of Perfect Chaos in SA1. Remember,all echidnas were killed,meaning that there is no one that could born Knuckles. Spin offs with story that explains the questions fans had (and nowdays still do) would be a perfect,especially with Frontiers being in existance,and that game had a good enough lore.
Sonic 2 movie said he father left him and never returned, most likely killed in battle.

Sonic 2 movie said he father left him and never returned, most likely killed in battle.
But the Movie is its own universe,because the events of the movies are not canon to the story of mainline Sonic games.

But the Movie is its own universe,because the events of the movies are not canon to the story of mainline Sonic games.
Tikal's time period wouldn't have been that far back then. Any of those echidnas could be related to Knuckles directly, even Tikal herself.

I think doing unique spinoffs could be great. Not just copying what Mario does and doing it ever so slightly differently.

I think doing unique spinoffs could be great. Not just copying what Mario does and doing it ever so slightly differently.
Sega did the crossover fighting game thing with Fighters Megamix before Nintendo did with Smash. There's also leftover data for Sonic and Tails in Virtua Fighter 2 (I think?) that led to Sonic The Fighters which then crossed over into Fighters Megamix. Pepsiman was even in the Japanese version of Fighting Vipers as a secret character! Yeah. PEPSIMAN!

Now with sonic superstars, i think sega will release more original spinoffs.
I want Sega to make all kinds of games. Sonic spin offs included. The way I see it, the more money they make with Sonic, the more they can expand and hire more people to make more games. They just gotta have the guts and the passion to do it.

I want Sega to make all kinds of games. Sonic spin offs included. The way I see it, the more money they make with Sonic, the more they can expand and hire more people to make more games. They just gotta have the guts and the passion to do it.
That sounds good,but there is a problem,just like Rovio had with Angry Birds: Cashgrab.

Basicly,doing every single thing which Sonic series could have (more merchandise,comics, TV shows,movies etc.) just to make profit of it is what a company SHULDNT do because fans of that franchise will be against that idea. For example, Rovio decided to do cashgrab moves as soon as they released Angry Birds in 2009,spamming the Cash button and then crap ton of merch,cereals,movies and other things became reality,just so they can make money.

That sounds good,but there is a problem,just like Rovio had with Angry Birds: Cashgrab.

Basicly,doing every single thing which Sonic series could have (more merchandise,comics, TV shows,movies etc.) just to make profit of it is what a company SHULDNT do because fans of that franchise will be against that idea. For example, Rovio decided to do cashgrab moves as soon as they released Angry Birds in 2009,spamming the Cash button and then crap ton of merch,cereals,movies and other things became reality,just so they can make money.
But Sonic Prime is doing great. So is the IDW comic.

But at least Sonic Superstars is better than Sonic 4 Episodes (fight me, Episode 2 enjoyers)
As an Episode 2 enjoyer myself, I doubt you'll face much resistance to this opinion. Episode 2 is a fun and neat little thing but it's hardly peak Sonic and leaves a lot of room for improvement. The best thing I can say about Episode 2 is that its implementation of the team mechanic holds a lot of really good untapped potential that I hope gets explored properly some day.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back