Sonic Robo Blast 2 Pet Peeves

Probably the one thing that bugs me about SRB2 would be its implementation of netgaming. My... god, is it janky!
It's even more worse with lag, and I've had a few times in 2.2 where the game slows to a crawl because someone joined.

Other than that though, I can very well accept many of these criticisms: I'm surprised the option to automatically brake after releasing forward wasn't added sooner!

...then again, someone's foot was put down along the way...

Probably the one thing that bugs me about SRB2 would be its implementation of netgaming. My... god, is it janky!
It's even more worse with lag, and I've had a few times in 2.2 where the game slows to a crawl because someone joined.

Other than that though, I can very well accept many of these criticisms: I'm surprised the option to automatically brake after releasing forward wasn't added sooner!

...then again, someone's foot was put down along the way...
2.2 is basically "I'm surprised this wasn't added sooner": the update.

The problem with Homing Attack is that the level design is not made for that, so it would not be as useful as in Sonic Adventure,

for example, let's say there is a platform you want to reach. and you plan to use the air dash to get there but ho an enemy stood up front of you and homing was triggered and you go to him instead of where you wanted to go, that would be annoying.
Well, I'm not suggesting everything about the levels stay exactly the same, am I? I'd never suggest that the game isn't intentionally built around its different items and mechanics, just that the shields aren't particularly satisfying for it.

Well, I'm not suggesting everything about the levels stay exactly the same, am I? I'd never suggest that the game isn't intentionally built around its different items and mechanics, just that the shields aren't particularly satisfying for it.
I don't think it's a good idea to redo all levels just for one ability which only makes combat easier for a specific character .

Pss: I don't even know why I complain if I don't even play as Sonic

Last edited:
They're already working on big ideas and possible changes to the physics system, you think that won't take more tweaking of the level design?

I think Sonic just needs a standard homing attack in SRB2 to begin with
If i remember correctly (correct me if im wrong) Sonic Robo Blast 2's main idea is to bring the classic feeling but in 3D, i think giving Sonic the Homing Attack would just destroy the idea, i know that it would be WAY easier to deal with enemies with a Homing, but 2 things
There's a shield that does exactly that
And, are enemies really important to kill? They only give you score, and you can dodge them fairly easy if you know the enemy placement, the only enemy that can "put up a fight" are the ones that becomes red and you can't beat (i forgot his name LOL)
Also, for me atleast the bosses are pretty good, Fang can be destroyed in 30 seconds if done right, metal its not that much of a problem once you know how his attack works, and the others are..Decent? Idk
aaaanyways, to keep this on-topic, the only thing that i don't like in SRB2 is the final boss, its WAY too easy sometimes, and too annoying sometimes too, for example
You are waiting behind the green goop for him to take off the electricity, and out of nowhere a random Fast-As-Heck missile that you can dodge if you have very good reflexes, that i don't mind, i think i do have those reflexes, but its out of nothing, not even a small warning
But aside from that, i LOVE the game, very good work Developers!:wonderful:

If i remember correctly (correct me if im wrong) Sonic Robo Blast 2's main idea is to bring the classic feeling but in 3D, i think giving Sonic the Homing Attack would just destroy the idea, i know that it would be WAY easier to deal with enemies with a Homing, but 2 things
There's a shield that does exactly that
And, are enemies really important to kill? They only give you score, and you can dodge them fairly easy if you know the enemy placement, the only enemy that can "put up a fight" are the ones that becomes red and you can't beat (i forgot his name LOL)
Also, for me atleast the bosses are pretty good, Fang can be destroyed in 30 seconds if done right, metal its not that much of a problem once you know how his attack works, and the others are..Decent? Idk
This^

I don't get why people cannot just put mods if they really want to make SRB2 more "modern"

If i remember correctly (correct me if im wrong) Sonic Robo Blast 2's main idea is to bring the classic feeling but in 3D, i think giving Sonic the Homing Attack would just destroy the idea
This^

I don't get why people cannot just put mods if they really want to make SRB2 more "modern"
The aim of the homing attack was never to "modernize" Sonic, it was to make attacking enemies as easy in 3D as in 2D. SRB2 as it stands hasn't done this in any other way, and it's enemies tend to be smaller than most modern badniks to boot. Maybe once the physics are less floaty this won't be a problem, but refusing the homing attack on the face of it just because of an arbitrary classic/modern distinction isn't a great argument. It's not like SRB2 ever felt much like a classic game to play in the twenty years before it had slopes, anyway. It's always been a game that relied on classic iconography and level design philosophy for positive changes, not limiting itself to worse design choices.

The aim of the homing attack was never to "modernize" Sonic, it was to make attacking enemies as easy in 3D as in 2D. SRB2 as it stands hasn't done this in any other way, and it's enemies tend to be smaller than most modern badniks to boot. Maybe once the physics are less floaty this won't be a problem, but refusing the homing attack on the face of it just because of an arbitrary classic/modern distinction isn't a great argument. It's not like SRB2 ever felt much like a classic game to play in the twenty years before it had slopes, anyway. It's always been a game that relied on classic iconography and level design philosophy for positive changes, not limiting itself to worse design choices.
We’re absolutely aware of the original purpose of the homing attack, but it does not need to be in SRB2. The homing attack isn’t necessary because you don’t have to attack enemies. There are also other ways to defeat enemies if you so choose to do so. Sonic Adventure, the game that introduced the homing attack, is a very different game compared to SRB2.

Also, you say that the homing attack is pretty much required to defeat enemies because jumping on them is too hard, but it really isn’t at all. SM64 and Galaxy, the examples you chose earlier, have the punches and spins as alternate methods to defeating enemies, but jumping on them is easy if you’re good at the game (Which is what you should be aiming for). Same applies for SRB2

Also, you say that the homing attack is pretty much required to defeat enemies because jumping on them is too hard, but it really isn’t at all.
It does take a little bit of practice, but once you get the hang of it you can easily bounce chain enemies as Sonic without using a double jump ability at all. The mobility the thok creates when combining a fall from great height with a well timed and aimed thok is the biggest reason I am a thok fan. The homing attack could never create that feeling. No other playable character in the vanilla game has a tool like that which can transform downward momentum into forwards upward momentum so drastically and in an instant.

That said, I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of Sonic having a Homing Attack so long as it doesn't replace the thok outright. If the player had control over when they thok and when they homing attack, it would serve the purpose of making Sonic feel easier for new players while at the same time doing absolutely nothing to the high skill ceiling the character currently has. Sure, the Attraction Shield currently has Homing Attack anyway, but that's not it's only function. It also draws in rings. If Homing was bound to spin midair for Sonic, the Attraction Shield would still be useful to Sonic with it's ability to draw in rings, and it would still serve the purpose of allowing other characters to Homing Attack with it equipped.

This would cause other characters to feel a bit empty without a midair ability bound to spin however, and it would also mean having any shield that isn't the Attraction Shield would remove Sonic's ability to Homing Attack. Additionally, turning Super would replace Homing Attack with hover. Overall though, I think it would be worth it. Other characters could be given midair spin abilities, or just have them be exclusive to their "Super" forms. Other shield abilities replacing Homing isn't too big of a problem considering their usefulness, it's a fair tradeoff. And of course Hover is overall more useful than Homing in regards to mobility.

We’re absolutely aware of the original purpose of the homing attack, but it does not need to be in SRB2. The homing attack isn’t necessary because you don’t have to attack enemies. There are also other ways to defeat enemies if you so choose to do so. Sonic Adventure, the game that introduced the homing attack, is a very different game compared to SRB2.
I mean, there's other ways to do it in Adventure too, and you don't need to attack most enemies in that game either.
Also, you say that the homing attack is pretty much required to defeat enemies because jumping on them is too hard,
I didn't say this.
but it really isn’t at all. SM64 and Galaxy, the examples you chose earlier, have the punches and spins as alternate methods to defeating enemies, but jumping on them is easy if you’re good at the game (Which is what you should be aiming for). Same applies for SRB2
Okay, so should they not have those alternatives? Do you see the issue here? I'm not arguing that Sonic shouldn't be able to jump or spindash into enemies.

I mean, there's other ways to do it in Adventure too, and you don't need to attack most enemies in that game either.

I didn't say this.

Okay, so should they not have those alternatives? Do you see the issue here? I'm not arguing that Sonic shouldn't be able to jump or spindash into enemies.
I didn’t say that they shouldn’t have the alternatives. It’s in the name. They’re alternatives. They’re supposed to be optional ways to defeat enemies and allow for more open level design with movement, which is what SRB2 is all about. A homing attack doesn’t give you the same type of movement that the Thok does

No homing attack in SRB2 is a better game design choice.

If you want to add modern elements into your SRB2 feel free to do.

I didn’t say that they shouldn’t have the alternatives. It’s in the name. They’re alternatives. They’re supposed to be optional ways to defeat enemies and allow for more open level design with movement, which is what SRB2 is all about. A homing attack doesn’t give you the same type of movement that the Thok does
And yet, you are arguing against the homing attack, which is the same thing. The thok and its stupid name are supposedly getting replaced either way, I don't see the issue in suggesting something that's already proven itself useful for Sonic.
No homing attack in SRB2 is a better game design choice.

If you want to add modern elements into your SRB2 feel free to do.
You know, I'm not perfect, but I think I was pretty clear the first time around. It is not about making the game "modern" (it's not really even a "modern" thing in SEGASonic), it's about giving Sonic a tool that works better for him.

Last edited:
And yet, you are arguing against the homing attack, which is the same thing. The thok and its stupid name are supposedly getting replaced either way, I don't see the issue in suggesting something that's already proven itself useful for Sonic.

You know, I'm not perfect, but I think I was pretty clear the first time around. It is not about making the game "modern" (it's not really even a "modern" thing in SEGASonic), it's about giving Sonic a tool that works better for him.
I’m not sure you really understand what we’re trying to say. The homing attack is an alternative that works for games since Adventure because there’s no easy way to aim your attacks. SRB2 doesn’t need it because it is easier to line up and use your attacks because it’s built off of a First Person Shooter. Aiming the Thok is like aiming a gun.

When SRB2 is trying to be different and provide new experiences not found in official Sonic games, I don’t think they’d put in the homing attack because they already know what works

Correct me if im wrong-
But Sonic's ability is going to be replaced, yeah, but i don't see how a homing attack could work on a game that is going to the momentum routes.
The homing attack is just a way to limit Sonic's speed, by going into enemies rather than give you speed like the Thok

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back