Sonic on PC

Icarus

Phantasy Savior
I've recently gotten many Sonic games on PC (from Sonic 3D, R and & Knuckles Collection to Sonic Riders and Mega Collection Plus) sadly they also don't work well on my computer unless I install a patch or a launcher

As most of us know it, the Sonic franchise was on PC under the "Sega PC" branding since the 90's until the mid-00's.

For example we had Sonic & Knuckles collection which was a compilation of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, the two separate games and Blue Spheres along with a screensaver program as a bonus in the west).

Mind sharing your thought, nostalgia moments and the game you owned?
You can even talk about non-Sonic Sega PC games if you want to (like Panzer Dragoon).

The first Sonic game I owned was SADX on pc. I knew Sonic since I was a baby, my older sister, who is pretty older than me, used to play Sonic with a friend of hers, so I met Sonic at an early age. When I got SADX I already knew about other Sonic games, for example, I had to choose between SADX and Heroes, I chose the former because I already knew Heroes and had played it in a friend's house. I think I also knew about the classics and the modern games, but I didn't know about the Adventure games. The first thing that caught my eyes was Chaos, a being made out of water and a smug looking Sonic. Then when I turned the cover to the back I saw Tails, a robot and Amy being playable characters, that sealed the deal.

I played Sonic Adventure DX a lot and it has a special place in my heart, even though I recognize its problems and age. I think the thing about it I like the most nowadays is that this game expands heavily on the lore of S3K. I also think Chaos is a great villain and Perfect Chaos is the best Super Sonic boss of all the dreamcast era (1998-2006).

Today I'm more attatched to the classic games, I love the exploration in Sonic CD and S3K. But Sonic Adventure DX will aways be my
special thing.

1615292747942.png

Last edited:
The first Sonic game I owned was SADX on pc. I knew Sonic since I was a baby, my older sister, who is pretty older than me, used to play Sonic with a friend of hers, so I met Sonic a an early age. When I got SADX I already knew about other Sonic games, for example, I had to choose between SADX and Heroes, I chose the former because I already knew Heroes and had played it in a friend's house. I think I also knew about the classics and the modern games, but I didn't know about the Adventure games. The first thing that caught my eyes was Chaos, a being made out of water and a smug looking Sonic. Then when I turned the cover to the back I saw Tails, a robot and Amy being playable characters, that sealed the deal.

I played Sonic Adventure DX a lot and it has a special place in my heart, even though I recognize its problems and age. I think the thing about it I like the most nowadays is that this game expands heavily on the lore of S3K. I also think Chaos is a great villain and Perfect Chaos is the best Super Sonic boss of all the dreamcast era (1998-2006).

Today I'm more attatched to the classic games, I love the exploration in Sonic CD and S3K. But Sonic Adventure DX will aways be my
special thing.
I've always wondered if SADX 2004 was a 1:1 port of the Gamecube version while SA HD and Steam's SADX was a modified build of it.

I feel like those are different versions of the same game in the same way as Japanese SA1 was different from the western release and the International version of the JP one.

I've always wondered if SADX 2004 was a 1:1 port of the Gamecube version while SA HD and Steam's SADX was a modified build of it.

I feel like those are different versions of the same game in the same way as Japanese SA1 was different from the western release and the International version of the JP one.
SADX '04 isn't really 1:1, it had more bugs and visual glitches.

SADX '04 isn't really 1:1, it had more bugs and visual glitches.
I wish there was an actual video comparing every versions of SA instead of just making a "SA1 DC vs SADX GC" as usual (Cybershell's video was good for the comparisons)
Take the PC version of CD for example.
What do you mean? Are there differences (not talking about the 2011 remaster).

I know that 3D Blast PC had different special stages and effect removed (like the fog in Rusty Ruins) but overal it was basically the same as the Saturn version.

I wish there was an actual video comparing every versions of SA instead of just making a "SA1 DC vs SADX GC" as usual (Cybershell's video was good for the comparisons)

I know that 3D Blast PC had different special stages and effect removed (like the fog in Rusty Ruins) but overal it was basically the same as the Saturn version.
The SFX in the PC CD was lower quality, but otherwise nothing too different.

The SFX in the PC CD was lower quality, but otherwise nothing too different.
Sonic & Knuckles' Collection's sfx were also low quality because they used recorded files instead of using MIDI samples from the console (this may explain why Sonic Jam's sfx were as well).

Speaking of which, I modded Sonic R to change most sfx with their 3D blast equivalent as both were made by Traveler's Tale and because the original ring sfx were ear-piercing.

Sonic & Knuckles' Collection's sfx were also low quality because they used recorded files instead of using MIDI samples from the console (this may explain why Sonic Jam's sfx were as well).

Speaking of which, I modded Sonic R to change most sfx with their 3D blast equivalent as both were made by Traveler's Tale and because the original ring sfx were ear-piercing.
I'm aware of that one in Sonic R..... ouch....

I just want to share some videos to show how different those PC releases were compared to the usual console ones.

Sonic & Knuckles Collection:

Sonic 3D Blast / Flickies' Island:
Post automatically merged:

I'm aware of that one in Sonic R..... ouch....
That's why the launcher and the mods are a blessing:

The original Saturn version had an aliasing and a really short draw distance but also was more colorful and had a better sound balance compared to the 2004 PC and the Gems Collection builds.

While I found out about Sonic from having Sonic Adventure 2 Battle for Gamecube (and soon enough, Sonic Advance on GBA, Rush/Rush Adventure...and of course, the internet), I'd say that one of my fondest old memories was finding out the Sonic Adventure DX Demo and playing it over and over and over...until I eventually got the full SADX game. Only it was the "every song is Windy Valley" version but we can leave it at that :shitsfree:
Eventually I got the proper game, and at that time I was real hooked to whatever mods came out for it, and at one point I made my own mod project to replace the textures with the Dreamcast version textures back in 2016. The whole history about stuff with modding and SADX is a long journey and I wrote about it in my site since there was a LOT of stuff to cover (including that mod I made which ended up influencing the creation of Dreamcast Conversion).

Oh god xD
fastest reply on earth
also someone had uploaded a video of that in action so...behold :wow:

Is there a special reason about why every musics were that one (as much as I love it and consider it as one of the best and "classic-esque" theme of the game it would be annoying to always have to hear it).
I guess it's to make it less heavy for the download.

The 3D Blast PC special stage look likes a scratch game

The 3D Blast PC special stage look likes a scratch game
You mean a Flash game? Because it looks like one of those early Sonic fangame you see on the internet.

I don't hate them but they're just bland. You can also gain more just by taking one mine (that removes like 5 rings) to slow down and snag even more while you'd get less if you were at full speed.

Also: you can jump to the moon in them.

You mean a Flash game? Because it looks like one of those early Sonic fangame you see on the internet.

I don't hate them but they're just bland. You can also gain more just by taking one mine (that removes like 5 rings) to slow down and snag even more while you'd get less if you were at full speed.

Also: you can jump to the moon in them.
They're actually easy.

They're actually easy.
I never mind when they're easy instead of being frustrating (yes, Sonic 2's special stages with Tails were frustrating) like Colors DS for exemple but when the special stages are bland and too easy it's not good either.

There's a reason why the Saturn special stages are often considered to be one of the best one in the entire series

The Genesis ones were fine and easy as well (but not as much as PC).

Going back to the main subject: Sonic Heroes was the very last major Sonic game to be on PC (if you see Riders as a mere spin-off and don't count Mega Collection Plus as it was just a compilation of the Genesis Sonic games with some Game Gear ones) until Generations and the HD ports of SADX and SA2 (which strangely never saw any physical PC releases unlike the first).

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back