Sonic Adventure 2: Blast

Sonic Adventure 2: Blast v2.3

whats in it that makes it over 100md!?
my computer might explode
:dramahog::devastation:
edit: just checked the new video from the channel since the one on here don't work and, THEY ADDED WHAT FEELS LIKE MOST OF THE ENTIRE GAME, THE CHAO GARDEN, AND A EXTRA HARD MODE!
 
Last edited:
the reason it's so big is because the music files aren't compressed enough. they're all over 900kb apiece so it adds up to way more than it needs to be

tip for devs (both this mod and in general): .ogg files compress really well, so if you crank the quality all the way down, the only thing people will notice is a way smaller download size. that's how i cut pikachu's file size in half for v2
 
the reason it's so big is because the music files aren't compressed enough. they're all over 900kb apiece so it adds up to way more than it needs to be

tip for devs (both this mod and in general): .ogg files compress really well, so if you crank the quality all the way down, the only thing people will notice is a way smaller download size. that's how i cut pikachu's file size in half for v2
All the music files are OGGs at the lowest quality, though.
 
Garrean updated Sonic Adventure 2: Blast with a new update entry:

v2.1 - Hotfix

A bunch of fixes for problems in the initial release.

- The commands "spindashtype" and "sa2abilities" are no longer saved if you are playing on a server. For some reason, trying to make this multiplayer compatible actually just caused desyncs and lag, so I decided to make these only save in single player.
- The same goes for collecting Chao. You have your own personal Chao collection for single player, but every time a server is created, a new Chao collection will be generated for that...

Read the rest of this update entry...
 
Garrean updated Sonic Adventure 2: Blast with a new update entry:

v2.2 - Optimizations

Some more fixes:

- Optimized some of the Hard Mode stages.
- Changed some of the Hard Mode music.
- Made the Green Forest timer more robust.

This probably doesn't do much to fix the nil key errors/resynching issues people have been experiencing in servers. This might just be an SRB2 problem, and we'll have to wait until 2.2.16 for it to get better. But just in case it isn't, if you've run into these problems, let me know what exactly what maps it happens on, so I can see if there's maybe...

Read the rest of this update entry...
 
whats in it that makes it over 100md!?
For some reason, all of the music and textures from stages that aren't in the current demo are in the files of the mod, instead of just the ones that are used in-game. Every stage also includes its own copy of the textures, so for example Green Forest and White Jungle contain duplicate versions of the same textures, even though they could just use one set of textures. The music situation isn't helped by the Hard Mode variants of the songs effectively doubling the amount of used music, either. A few of the songs are indeed unoptimized MP3s, but there aren't enough of them to make a major difference.
 
For some reason, all of the music and textures from stages that aren't in the current demo are in the files of the mod, instead of just the ones that are used in-game. Every stage also includes its own copy of the textures, so for example Green Forest and White Jungle contain duplicate versions of the same textures, even though they could just use one set of textures. The music situation isn't helped by the Hard Mode variants of the songs effectively doubling the amount of used music, either. A few of the songs are indeed unoptimized MP3s, but there aren't enough of them to make a major difference.
Yeah. I actually did consider cutting out all the unused stuff, but when I tried, I found out that it only cut out about ~30 MB from the filesize, which means it's still far above 100 MB, so I decided to just leave it be.
 
@Garrean When I tested this on netgames as for v2.1, the constant resynchs happened for us on Green Forest, Radical Highway, White Jungle, and Metal Harbor. Still we gotta test on v2.2

But it's true that the nil table key stuff is more a srb2 issue so nothing you can't do there I guess :worry:
 
srb20028.gif

This might be a Rookie mistake but you should never use sprites with the same name as the Skins Sprites or you see stuff like this. Rename the sprites to prevent any source of conflicts

In this situation, my suggestion is to change DASH to DHPN
 
The only thing I wanted to criticize is the physics of Sonic/Shadow because I have a feeling they're slow (but apart from that, the mod is wonderful).
 
hey, so, Idk if I'm just loading add-ons wrong to my server, but whenever I try to add this on, even by itself, it spews out a BUNCH of errors. I tried to snag where it goes wrong, and this seems to happen when a level is loaded after the add-on is loaded:

[...]Current map 1 replaced by added file, ending the level to ensure consistency.
WARNING: ...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:139: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:139: in function 'itemBoxSwitching'
...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:296: in function <...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:274>
WARNING: ...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:139: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:139: in function 'itemBoxSwitching'
...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:296: in function <...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:274>
WARNING: ...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:139: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:139: in function 'itemBoxSwitching'
...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:296: in function <...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:274>
WARNING: ...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:139: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:139: in function 'itemBoxSwitching'
...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:296: in function 'P_MonitorThinker'
...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:609: in function <...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:606>
WARNING: ...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:139: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:139: in function 'itemBoxSwitching'
...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:296: in function <...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:274>
WARNING: ...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:139: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:139: in function 'itemBoxSwitching'
...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:296: in function <...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:274>
WARNING: ...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:139: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:139: in function 'itemBoxSwitching'
...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:296: in function <...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:274>
WARNING: ...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:139: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:139: in function 'itemBoxSwitching'
...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:296: in function <...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:274>
WARNING: ...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:139: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:139: in function 'itemBoxSwitching'
...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:296: in function <...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:274>
WARNING: ...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:139: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:139: in function 'itemBoxSwitching'
...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:296: in function <...t_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Styles/entities/DC_models_itembox.lua:274>
Added file .\addons\Levels\Level Packs\SA2 SRB2\SCL_SA2-Blast_MP-Patch_v2.3.pk3 (5 lumps)
Loading Lua script from .\addons\Levels\Level Packs\SA2 SRB2\SCL_SA2-Blast_MP-Patch_v2.3.pk3|Lua/allchars_mp.lua
Added command "sa2abilities"
Loading Lua script from .\addons\Levels\Level Packs\SA2 SRB2\SCL_SA2-Blast_MP-Patch_v2.3.pk3|Lua/babymode.lua
Added command "sa2babymode"
Loading SOC from .\addons\Levels\Level Packs\SA2 SRB2\SCL_SA2-Blast_MP-Patch_v2.3.pk3|SOC/MAINCFG
[Monitor Checker] 42 Monitors Types Found!
No maps added[...]

[...]Speeding off to level...
WARNING: ...B2\SCL_SA2-Blast_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Miscellaneous/chao.lua:804: attempt to index global 'displayplayer' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
...B2\SCL_SA2-Blast_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Miscellaneous/chao.lua:804: in function <...B2\SCL_SA2-Blast_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Miscellaneous/chao.lua:802>
WARNING: ...B2\SCL_SA2-Blast_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Miscellaneous/hunt.lua:416: attempt to index upvalue 'FIRST_HUNT_PLAYER' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
...B2\SCL_SA2-Blast_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Miscellaneous/hunt.lua:416: in function <...B2\SCL_SA2-Blast_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Miscellaneous/hunt.lua:415>
[C]: in function 'sort'
...B2\SCL_SA2-Blast_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Miscellaneous/hunt.lua:481: in function <...B2\SCL_SA2-Blast_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Miscellaneous/hunt.lua:447>
Map is now "MAP02: Wild Canyon"
WARNING: ...B2\SCL_SA2-Blast_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Miscellaneous/chao.lua:827: attempt to index global 'displayplayer' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
...B2\SCL_SA2-Blast_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Miscellaneous/chao.lua:827: in function 'renderCollectedChao'
...B2\SCL_SA2-Blast_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Miscellaneous/chao.lua:853: in function <...B2\SCL_SA2-Blast_v2.3.pk3|Lua/Miscellaneous/chao.lua:851>
DEDICATED: No players for 10 seconds, idling...

The first bit is after the add-on seems to load into my dedicated server, and the second chunk is when wild canyon was loaded.

I am an amateur at running dedicated servers, I'll admit to that, but I haven't had any problems like this in the past. it also has made playing on maps with loops aggravating as the game resyncs every time someone completes a loop, getting this error in the process.

srb20014.png

I've been able to narrow it down so far to the fact that the way that srb2 loads Add-ons for dedicated servers kinda sucks, cause they start the game before adding things, which I know causes problems already, but the way it happens here is egregious when trying to play the game.

In tandem, I'm kinda trying to find a way to load this without having to start up the game and run a server myself. I feel like I'm doing everything right when it comes to running a dedicated server, but this seems to be a consistent issue. Anyone know what might be going on?
 
For some weird reason, when I tried the multiplayer patch it said "Error: MAP81 could not be found!" and closed the game. Is there anything going on in MAP81? Because it would be REALLY helpful if I knew what was wrong. I haven't tested it out with the regular one because I wanted to test this out with the Sonic Standalone from Project Junio and my unreleased character mod.

EDIT: So I found out you're meant to load the regular version with the multiplayer patch...
 
Last edited:
Back
Top