Sonic 06 is not actually that bad

Aah Sonic 06... I knew this thread was gonna get controversial but not in this respect.

Project 06 is pretty fun but the original 06? Nah its real bad lol.
And don't tell me I didn't play it, I played it when it first came out. I've played through it multiple times. It's bad.
It's more than being "buggy", the basic mechanics of the game just aren't finished. Like, Sonic's jumping speed is literally always the same regardless of how fast or slow you were running before you jumped, it looks and feels ridiculous.

Last edited:
If we assume that you can remember things from 4 years of age and he played the game at that age, he was born in 2002. Like myself, that would make him at least 19 years old and not that old
let me correct it then; *you're pretty old

As someone who plays like JRPGs a lot, even ones with jankier stories like Tales and Star Ocean (which I still like because I'm a simple idiot, Eternia and Second Story 4lyfe) I feel like the plot of Sonic 06 has much grander problems aside from just The Kiss, like The Kiss is the least of the game's problems, it's very silly that it's taken seriously but like it's nothing Roger Rabbit hasn't done, not to say 06 is that good. Heaven forbid.

I feel like to, make 06 good you'd have to rework a lot of things like level layouts, story beats, characterization, even just give it a new development cycle to avoid rushing for the 15th birthday and the multiple times the team got split, to the point that it wouldn't be 06 anymore outside of having the same cast. And I'm not saying this as someone who prefers Pontaff's storytelling. I'm more of a OVA and Adventure 1 person. I don't really like SatAM or the pre-Flynn Archie runs or StC for one.

I feel like a good story isn't out of place in Sonic or even Mario it's just that, while Mario's case is more Shiggy being avoidant of the idea for fear of watering down the game (which is extremely ironic once you consider Star Fox Zero and whatnot), Sega's case is more... A lot of their writers are really bad at it or don't have the "real estate" necessary to write good, and I feel the rushed development doesn't help.

Forces had the issue of Sega pushing hard with Sonic Wars but then getting cold feet, resulting in stuff like plot points being lost and Mephiles being excluded from the game for one. Aaron Webber even gave his critique on a lot of the original plot (and current plot at points, see: Tails)'s use of clichés and strange decisions to the Japanese team and a lot of it was just cast aside, likely due to time.

A lot of 06's plot problems seem to come from a troubled development resulting in so much hitting the chopping block. In an ideal world where 06 was actually good I feel we would still get Sonic dying and being revived by a human kiss, but again, I feel that speaks to how much of a non-issue The Kiss was, comparably. All the big story issues are in the rest of the game, the emerald's placements in time, the characters acting in a contrived manner, the messy time travel usage... They bit off much more than they could chew.

Anyway I personally don't feel like 06 is very good, it's overall too buggy and unrefined, and I'm the type that enjoys jank games like Romancing SaGa 1 SNES. I'd rather just play Adventure 1&2, Heroes or Unleashed PS3/360. Speaking of which, PS3 emulation can't become more accessible any sooner, like Sega will ever port HD Unleashed to PC ;w; At least there's Generations mods.

Sorry if I'm stepping on anyone's toes wrt this. It's just my two cents (two dollars really, look at this wall of text)

I feel like a good story isn't out of place in Sonic or even Mario it's just that, while Mario's case is more Shiggy being avoidant of the idea for fear of watering down the game (which is extremely ironic once you consider Star Fox Zero and whatnot), Sega's case is more... A lot of their writers are really bad at it or don't have the "real estate" necessary to write good, and I feel the rushed development doesn't help.

Forces had the issue of Sega pushing hard with Sonic Wars but then getting cold feet, resulting in stuff like plot points being lost and Mephiles being excluded from the game for one. Aaron Webber even gave his critique on a lot of the original plot (and current plot at points, see: Tails)'s use of clichés and strange decisions to the Japanese team and a lot of it was just cast aside, likely due to time.
In my opinion, Sonic is the perfect place to put a complex story. There are elements of good storytelling in the Adventure series, Battle, Rush and Rush Adventure, the Storybook series, etc. However, I feel like SEGA lately don't really know what a good Sonic story looks like. Forces tried to go the hardcore edgy route, but like you said couldn't fully commit. This decision wasn't entirely misplaced, they probably at some level realized that while it's okay to have edgy elements to a Sonic story, it's best to keep it as elements rather than sinking in too deeply with it. However, they still in the process ended up misunderstanding what Sonic storytelling looks like at it's best, and even struggled to understand each of the individual characters. Everything in Forces feels off in some way, and the only character to truly experience any development is the playable Avatar, which even then is only just barely.

A well written Sonic story should feel big, grand, epic, adventurous. At times light hearted, at times a little edgy. There should be mysteries to solve, threats to overcome, character arcs to experience, vast landscapes to explore, etc. This was what I feel the Adventure series was trying to capture with it's story, and also what 06 tried and largely failed to amp up. The feeling of going on a big, grand adventure alongside the characters is Sonic storytelling at it's peak.

Sonic and Shadow are kind of like Superman and Batman in a sense. Sonic as a character from the beginning has always been about rebellious angst, he's a teenager. However, while his angst is a big part of his personality, his storytelling doesn't revolve around it, but rather as I mentioned above more about the grand adventures he and his friends are going on together. He is a character that allows for great amounts of character depth in regards to being able to go from cracking silly and light hearted jokes to getting really serious as needed.

Shadow, like Batman, is a character who's stories are more able to explore into the edgy side of what's going on. His personality is more blunt, to the point, and morally ambiguous. He is a character that is believably able to tread back and forth between darkness and light. He can be a shield to protect the weak, or a sword to mercilessly cut down his enemies. His inner battles with his own morality allow him to go on adventures unlike the ones Sonic goes on.

This, I think, is the crux of Forces' failure, and to a certain degree 06 as well. They tried to have it both ways, capturing the adventurous spirit of a Sonic story with the edge of a Shadow story, and it doesn't blend very well together for the franchise.

Sonic and Shadow are kind of like Superman and Batman in a sense. Sonic as a character from the beginning has always been about rebellious angst, he's a teenager. However, while his angst is a big part of his personality, his storytelling doesn't revolve around it, but rather as I mentioned above more about the grand adventures he and his friends are going on together. He is a character that allows for great amounts of character depth in regards to being able to go from cracking silly and light hearted jokes to getting really serious as needed.

Shadow, like Batman, is a character who's stories are more able to explore into the edgy side of what's going on. His personality is more blunt, to the point, and morally ambiguous. He is a character that is believably able to tread back and forth between darkness and light. He can be a shield to protect the weak, or a sword to mercilessly cut down his enemies. His inner battles with his own morality allow him to go on adventures unlike the ones Sonic goes on.

This, I think, is the crux of Forces' failure, and to a certain degree 06 as well. They tried to have it both ways, capturing the adventurous spirit of a Sonic story with the edge of a Shadow story, and it doesn't blend very well together for the franchise.
Yeah TL;DR Forces' biggest failure was that, even as a simultanously Classic enthusiast and an Adventure and some Modern enthusiast as I am, it tried too hard to please most parts of the Sonic fandom, which is an already problematic fandom with regards to unity, everything has it's own little subculture.

I honestly feel like the closest thing to an ideal story in Sonic was Unleashed. Going for a breather episode with Colors made sense but with each passing game it's just getting more tiring, not that stuff like Shadow and 06 weren't ridiculous but, sometimes it'd be fine to have another solid attempt at a storyline to give flavor to the adventure.

Yeah TL;DR Forces' biggest failure was that, even as a simultanously Classic enthusiast and an Adventure and some Modern enthusiast as I am, it tried too hard to please most parts of the Sonic fandom, which is an already problematic fandom with regards to unity, everything has it's own little subculture.

I honestly feel like the closest thing to an ideal story in Sonic was Unleashed. Going for a breather episode with Colors made sense but with each passing game it's just getting more tiring, not that stuff like Shadow and 06 weren't ridiculous but, sometimes it'd be fine to have another solid attempt at a storyline to give flavor to the adventure.
Unleashed does a pretty good job, but I'd also like to give a shoutout to Sonic and the Black Knight. I feel like it actually manages to blend the edgy elements in perfectly for the kind of storytelling Sonic belongs in, and did so in a way that doesn't make Sonic himself come off as edgy, but rather gives his more heroic attributes a chance to shine brilliantly.

Unleashed does a pretty good job, but I'd also like to give a shoutout to Sonic and the Black Knight. I feel like it actually manages to blend the edgy elements in perfectly for the kind of storytelling Sonic belongs in, and did so in a way that doesn't make Sonic himself come off as edgy, but rather gives his more heroic attributes a chance to shine brilliantly.
Yeah I haven't played BK yet, I heard the gameplay is really jank, but the story is pretty good.

Yeah I haven't played BK yet, I heard the gameplay is really jank, but the story is pretty good.
It's a wii game, so it kinda depends on how well your setup decides to work with you in regards to getting the motion controls to respond. Personally though, I was lucky enough to have a setup that cooperated, so I actually enjoyed BK quite a lot. As much as I also enjoyed Secret Rings once I got through it's rather slow start, BK actually improves on the gameplay formula substantially, such as actually letting you plug in the stick to move instead of forcing you to tilt the wiimote.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back