So when SRB2 will Be on Steam

Its literally obvious on why it isnt on steam but you can add it yourself by pressing the "add non-steam games" button

I'm just asking, When SRB2 will be on steam.
Welcome to the forums. SRB2 cannot be listed on Steam primarily because it is not being developed by the holders of the Sonic the Hedgehog intellectual property: Sega and Sonic Team. SRB2 is developed by Sonic Team Jr, which has no affiliation with either group. Putting SRB2 on Steam would likely cause legal problems for us and for Steam, so even if we tried to put SRB2 on Steam, the game would likely be rejected or promptly taken down.

(You may have figured this out already, but I thought I might take a moment to explain since no one else has yet :p)

The Future is now.
steam_EyPOoWvvi8.gif

hmm, I see you have Portal and Among Us. :threat: :threat::threat:
Post automatically merged:

Welcome to the forums. SRB2 cannot be listed on Steam primarily because it is not being developed by the holders of the Sonic the Hedgehog intellectual property: Sega and Sonic Team. SRB2 is developed by Sonic Team Jr, which has no affiliation with either group. Putting SRB2 on Steam would likely cause legal problems for us and for Steam, so even if we tried to put SRB2 on Steam, the game would likely be rejected or promptly taken down.

(You may have figured this out already, but I thought I might take a moment to explain since no one else has yet :p)
sure, but can't you just, say, ask Sega and Sonic Team about permission to sell the game with their own IPs? or does that require a license or so? curious. 🤔

It would require more than a license from sega. you'd need one from ID software and the people behind Doom Legacy too.

If you're desperate to have SRB2 on steam, use the add a game function found at the bottom left corner!

Not quite, Cosmix.
For id Software, GNU GPL covers that, as it allows for commerical distribution of projects branching off of DOOM Legacy, and is the license attached to the DOOM Legacy source code, which SRB2 branches off of... but, and here's the issue that would make SEGA NEVER take the deal, even if STJr wanted to do it (they wouldn't, because it would erode their creative freedom over their own project)...
Any licensee who adheres to the terms and conditions is given permission to modify the work, as well as to copy and redistribute the work or any derivative version. (...) The fourth section for version 2 of the license and the seventh section of version 3 require that programs distributed as pre-compiled binaries be accompanied by a copy of the source code (...) This means that users cannot be held liable for circumventing DRM implemented using GPLv3-licensed code under laws such as the U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).

Last edited:
Ok but honest question

How well *does* SRB2 do on the Steam Deck?

I imagine it'll probably need some tweaking to work properly on it but I wanna hear people's thoughts

Ok but honest question

How well *does* SRB2 do on the Steam Deck?

I imagine it'll probably need some tweaking to work properly on it but I wanna hear people's thoughts
i was just trying a while ago, works pretty well if you use the right mousepad to move the camera

steam tends to not have fangames due to legal troubles and stuff
it's more likely to get on sites like itch.io or gamejolt if anything

The only real fan games that tend to get on steam are those based on Valve's projects. Some of them are even allowed to be sold too, but if it's based on an IP valve doesn't own it doesn't go on steam.

A good example, if you can consider it one, would be Black Mesa. A bad example would be Hunt the Freeman.

Putting SRB2 would be a waste of time and money in general. Considering to put a game on Steam is roughly $50 USD (sad), and considering SRB2's open sourced nature,
being branched originally from Doom, ported to Doom Legacy, then worked on from there,
and due to it being a fan project, with intellectual ips, it would be pretty risky to have a game be sold based on someone else's properties, especially if copyrighted. A bad example to follow would be Tetris for Two.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back