So... wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll Begin said:
I mean that I think Sik used the wrong term. What could a Linedef executor possibly do? You mean a linedef action like a FOF or a fake floor, right?
Oops, yeah, wrong term x_X The linedef angle would be the only thing I could see to determine the horizontal angle of the slope honestly. The floor and the ceiling would determine the vertical angle (the slope itself). Er, I think I've just described how to implement a slope using a linedef special...

How many times I mentioned that >_>

And anyways that's an OpenGL screenshot with filtering disabled. Remember the last April Fools :P

Sik said:
And anyways that's an OpenGL screenshot with filtering disabled. Remember the last April Fools :P
Nice remembering, although I don't think it was on April fools.

I made another hoax for the last April Fools. The quarter-loop with Tails running in it :P

*Clears Throat*

shot0040.png

It's SRB2,
and yes, IT'S REAL!!!!!

That's cool, but those slopes seem very randomly placed. A few questions:

• -Antiporcupine code used?
    -Slope physics?
    -Would you contribute it to the STJr. staff to add to regular SRB2?
    -Are they difficult to make? Explain how you made them (not in programming, but in map).
    -Do they lag?

Also, even though I clearly see slopes, you have to remember that a gimmick like slopes wont make up for poor level design. =|

Ash, that's a test map, not a real level that will have such a gimmick >_> And slope gimmicks can be useful if you make, for example, speed runs from a mountain or something :)

Yes, I know that's a test map, Sik; I was simply stating the obvious. (IE, slopes overused in noob maps, people that suck at level design, etcetera) Was it really worth the list diversion?

@dash
List is on the last post of the previous page.

._.

No physics as of yet (By the way, that is a very old screenshot, the level has dramatically changed)

To code in detection for a slope seems like it won't be to hard, but I have no idea how to do it.

All you have to do is assign a linedef in the map to slope to a tagged sector,
but the determined point that the floor actually slopes to needs to be dependent on the way the linedef is facing and it's actual height instead of the ceiling, which I haven't figured out how to do yet. Slopes aren't treated the right way, they seem to have a draw distance limit instead of being part of the actual map structure.

It's only for OpenGL
The screenshot required only one linedef inside the map with a tag of zero
I don't know what I should have the action number to be (it's 243 now)
Also, no lag at all!

DashFox2007 said:
All you have to do is assign a linedef in the map to slope to a tagged sector,
but the determined point that the floor actually slopes to needs to be dependent on the way the linedef is facing and it's actual height instead of the ceiling, which I haven't figured out how to do yet. Slopes aren't treated the right way, they seem to have a draw distance limit instead of being part of the actual map structure.

wat

You're not very good at explaining this. Last time I checked, linedefs don't have heights. I don't understand why it wouldn't work just like an FOF whereas the height is determined by the ceiling AND floor heights, and just sloping in the direction of the linedef from floor to ceiling, or ceiling to floor (it would be a good idea to have both because if you didn't, ceiling to floor would involve floor heights higher than the ceiling). If it doesn't work that way, then I suppose SOF (slope over floor) and SOS (slope over slope) is impossible, thus making it kinda useless for advanced SRB2 mapping techniques where stairs would work just fine.

No slope physics? Useless.
No slope detection? Utterly useless.

Also, I believe you didn't answer all of my questions.

Sorry, I'm not so good at explaining this.

To answer all your questions:

Incomplete slope system with simple code
No physics or detection
As for contributing, this isn't my code, it's been in SRB2's source, I'm just trying to see if I can make them usable.
It's unclear how to properly make slopes where you want them, that's why
they're everywhere in the screenshot
They don't lag

DashFox2007 said:
As for contributing, this isn't my code, it's been in SRB2's source, I'm just trying to see if I can make them usable.
Which explains why they're OpenGL-only and without detection. I thought they were definitely deleted from the source code through o_o'

The Dark Fox said:
What's the point of having slopes? It won't be needed much in a 3D game anyways.

If I remember the original points of the arguments for having slopes completely, its so we could have loops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back