• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Should I or Should I not (try to) make...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virt

Trollerskates
Should I or should I not try to make a Perfect Chaos Boss Battle? Would it be too hard to make or what?

Hm. I would have to edit the level a bit to make it so that there's a giant Perfect Chaos scenery and then... yeah.

I really don't think that matters in game design. SRB2 was made with pixels. I'm sure if you download blender or another game engine, you can make a 3d image of chaos and turn him into pixels. You can probably download a C editor or maker to program it into the game. I'm sure you can do pretty much do all of that in SOC edit but I'm not sure how anything of that works.

Perfect Chaos, in SRB2?

That's probably not a good idea... but if you're insisting on continuing to work on that, you'd need to consider few things, such as:
  • Perfect Chaos is a giant, maybe even to the current ERZ boss in SRB2! You're going to need to use huge sprites, or shrink Sonic to make Perfect Chaos look much bigger like with ERZ's boss.
  • Just how are you going to be able to hurt him? If you're going to use the method to hurt him from Sonic Adventure, you may need an EXE for that.
  • If you're going to shrink Sonic, you're going to need to shrink the rings and the whole stage too.

With good enough game editing skills you can do anything. I would love to see that.
This is completely incorrect. There are several things SRB2 is completely incapable of doing, and some things that while it's capable of, aren't going to work well.

Brak Eggman is a large boss in SRB2. Notice all the problems that that causes in the engine, such as a lack of visibility and a somewhat disproportionate hitbox. Perfect Chaos, being bigger, would require you shrink the player even MORE to work, as well as having a far more screwy hitbox than Brak has. Sure, I guess it's possible with an EXE modification, but I highly doubt it would be worth it.

SRB2 engine is pretty limited and i doubt you can make this level without a new EXE.
Ps: Making a new EXE is not very complicated but it's a LONG work .

Virt let your games be an extension of your personality. Don't be afraid to color outside the lines, color outside the page if you want. Don't box yourself in. We are all born with a crayon box, some have 8 others have 16 but it's what you do with the colors that you are given that makes the difference, not how many you have. Take this advise well.

I don't think Supertails knows what limitations are.

Remember, this may be MUCH different from it, but this is still Doom deep down. A game that's ridiculously old and with a lot of limitations. Most have been broken, especially by SRB2, but there are still things you simply cannot do in Doom, or SRB2. This is one of them. This would require so much, it'd probably require it's own EXE just to do, and even THEN, you'd have to work forever just to do it. And for something that ultimately isn't worth it. Don't do this Virt. The sky is the limit, not space.

What if instead of virt making it a giant, he could increase the amount of hits, that way he could have giant like straight without really being a giant. Virt could make it super strong like with Brak but a lot smaller with different ways of attacking. If Virt still wanted to make it bigger, would it be really difficult to make the boss the entire room or stage? Chaos could show his face in a wall and shoot missiles, cannons, lasers, and even the glue attack. To kill him you could ride missiles into him just like with brak. How easy could that be?

"I don't think Supertails knows what limitations are."
I know what limits are. If it can't be done one way, try another way. It's that simple. Just learn to see possibilities, not limitations. I may not be a programmer or a graphic designer but I'm a thinker, an ideas man. I like to help people by the use of thinking. I just thought of some real possibilities that Virt could try without maxing out srb2, I think. But if those are too difficult in srb2. I could think of more ways to make it hard. If worst came to worst, he could simply make it a text base level. I don't think it'll be too difficult to make a text base level in srb2. I've enjoyed many text base games, never beaten any but it's a big change from graphics. But still fun.

Last edited:
Seems, somewhat possible if you ignore the fact that Perfect Chaos would have to be Smaller than usual, the fact that He'd look weird rotated, and that you'd have to find some way to get to the top from that low, hit him, and warp somewhere else on the map.

I'd say you could have some floating water FOFs and possibly some polys (well coordinated polys) to make the movable parts of Perfect chaos, assuming you don't see them from top or bottom. The inside of Perfect chaos could use some wind or water currents (instead of scripted events) calculated well enough that if you're holding forward during the whole sequence, you go from current to current to hit a sprite lodged in the head FOF! Or possibly some invisible diagonal spring like objects... (This is how I thought up the whole shebang some years ago, when pondering exactly how Perfect chaos could be made with supersonic's "run on water" ability. Of course, the polyobject part was added just now)
Now, this sounds horribly complicated and despite possibly working, it would look and surely play atrocious and would be painfully hard and frustrating to pull off properly.
My two cents? Don't do this.

I may not be a programmer or a graphic designer but I'm a thinker, an ideas man. I like to help people by the use of thinking.
Have any of your ideas ever been brought to reality? If not, then you know you're expecting too much. Having an idea is easy enough, but implementing it is a lot more work.

What if instead of virt making it a giant, he could increase the amount of hits, that way he could have giant like straight without really being a giant. Virt could make it super strong like with Brak but a lot smaller with different ways of attacking.
That might've been justified with some of Chaos's other forms, but Perfect Chaos is the kind of monster that dwarfs skyscrapers and shrinking him would kinda defeat the point of it all. You might as well be fighting an uglier Chaos Zero.

If Virt still wanted to make it bigger, would it be really difficult to make the boss the entire room or stage? Chaos could show his face in a wall and shoot missiles, cannons, lasers, and even the glue attack.
That's feasible I guess, but probably too much effort to be worth it. That's a hell of a lot of moving sectors we're talking, and for that matter it'd bear no resemblence to the genuine article in addition to looking uglier. Not to mention, just giving an ingame enemy the ability to move a sector in the first place takes a fair bit of thinking and planning ahead - anything even vaugely resembling a great big boss is the equivalent of a whole SP campaign's worth of work, and I think we've already gathered Virt isn't keen on that.

To kill him you could ride missiles into him just like with brak.
Uh, problem? Chaos does not fire missiles.

I know what limits are. If it can't be done one way, try another way. It's that simple.
No, it's not that simple, and I don't think you're even trying to consider that. SRB2 is built from an engine that is... how many years old, now? 10? Whatever the exact number is, it simply isn't built to handle things on this kind of scale. As already hinted apon, the fact remains that you can't make enemies beyond a certain size, and the only reason Brak Eggman exists is through petty parlour tricks (shrinking the player, namely) - and even then it's barely within the realms of standard boss fare in today's Sonic games, let alone anything approaching final boss scale. If this was the Unreal Engine or something equally sophisticated, you'd be perfectly right, but this is an incredibly dated gaming engine with strict physical restrictions as to what it's capable of - not everything is possible with it. Fact.

If worst came to worst, he could simply make it a text base level. I don't think it'll be too difficult to make a text base level in srb2. I've enjoyed many text base games, never beaten any but it's a big change from graphics. But still fun.
Ignoring the fact that it would completely suck, the irony is that even that isn't possible without a source code modification. I mean really, who would want a climax in text form anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back