Rule suggesting for SRB2 on Game Banana

Basic Bronze Sonic

Barely active MB member, active on Discord/Twitter
As some (but not much) of y'all may know I recently was granted with the GB permits of being a Game Manager for Sonic Robo Blast 2 on Game Banana and I of course updated the extremely outdated rules and about section but I want Sonic Robo Blast 2 on Game Banana to at the very least be hated a little less and in order for that to happen a lot needs to be changed which primarily consists of adding new rules, all rules that are already there will still apply but I'm not the best at rule making so I decided that getting help from the SRB2 message board is the best choice but keep in mind that after the suggestions have been givin they won't be added immediately as I'll need to discuss it with the other Game Banana staff.

first off just because rules are being added making SRB2 on Game Banana a lot better doesn't mean you'll be able to link anything Game Banana on the SRB2 message board and if you have a problem with that then bring it up the the SRB2 message board staff who have a pretty good reason for not allowing Game Banana links on the SRB2 message board, second off I will not just be making SRB2 on Game Banana have the SRB2 message board rules because I still want people to not have as many restrictions on SRB2 Game Banana edit: I forgot the rules were changed around so I'll be working on adding them but that means that there's no point of suggesting it.

Next up don't ask for me to change anything about SRB2Kart or SRB2Persona on Game Banana as I am not a Game Manager for those two games on Game Banana, lastly yes I will be adding restrictions on recolor mods but I will not be making a rule against having recolor mods on Game Banana entirely.

Last edited:
I personally think it should kinda have the same submission rules as the message board

Aka: https://mb.srb2.org/threads/1-submissions-guidelines-updated-july-2-2021.30989/
While I... oh yeah they were changed around 😐, I thought they were extremely strict but thanks for snapping me back to reality but I'll keep this thread open still if anyone has any good suggestions but I'll start discussing adding new rules to SRB2 Game Banana with the GB staff now.

Make it a requirement to specify what version of SRB2 your add-on works with. That way if you host mods for multiple versions you can have a better idea if the mod will work or not.
Now that is a good idea and I'm glad you came up with that... but I preemptively added that with the mod prefixing rule (yes mod prefixes are now required for GB mods) alongside an extra mod prefix too, here's the mod prefixes and such I added.
W = work in progress mod
This is a prefix added with other mod prefixes like X, F, and the others.

D1 = version 1.0 mods
R2 = version 2.0 mods
U3 = version 2.1 mods
O4 = version 2.2 mods
These prefixes are added before the mod type prefixes and are separated by a underscore _.

Here's an example of all in use and the template-

O4_SLW_MyMapWIP_v1.1.wad
————————————————————
(SRB2 Version Prefix)_(ModType Prefix)_(Addon Name)_(version number).(filetype)

While I am considering adding more I feel like there's already enough for things to be alright on Game Banana

I would replace D1 with FD as we know the 1.0 era as the Final Demo era.

I would also suggest making the version prefixes more clear on the other versions. Like this for example:
V2 = 2.0 era
V2.1 = 2.1 era
V2.1S = 2.1 slope era (has slopes not compatible with version 2.1.14 and below)
V2.2 = 2.2 era/current
D4 = Demo 4
D3 = Demo 3
D2 = Demo 2
D1 = Demo 1
X = Christmas Demo
H = Halloween Tech Demo

The reason why I make this suggestion is because your version prefixes are not clear with D1 being the worst case. I look at O4 and how am I suppose to know that's for 2.2?

Or I try to load a U3 mod into 2.1.0 and it doesn't fully work because it has slopes in it that weren't introduced until 2.1.15

Last edited:
I would replace D1 with FD as we know the 1.0 era as the Final Demo era.

I would also suggest making the version prefixes more clear on the other versions. Like this for example:
V2 = 2.0 era
V2.1 = 2.1 era
V2.1S = 2.1 slope era (has slopes not compatible with version 2.1.14 and below)
V2.2 = 2.2 era/current
D4 = Demo 4
D3 = Demo 3
D2 = Demo 2
D1 = Demo 1
X = Christmas Demo
H = Halloween Tech Demo

The reason why I make this suggestion is because your version prefixes are not clear with D1 being the worst case. I look at O4 and how am I suppose to know that's for 2.2?

Or I try to load a U3 mod into 2.1.0 and it doesn't fully work because it has slopes in it that weren't introduced until 2.1.15
Alright then, I'll get to work on applying that so thanks for bringing that up since that is something very useful to know before loading in a mod.

I would not ask for prefixes on 2.2 mods, thats the current version of the game and would clash with the MB's own prefixes. The prefixes for older version do serve the niche of mods created for old version, which we do not accept, but anything past that would cause major conflicts with the MB, which is what you do not want happening. Keeping things consistent among users was half the point of the filenames! Doing that would really drive a knife into the idea, and further confuse things for those looking for files for the current version. Also, W isnt really needed as a prefix, version numbers could just be like "Beta#" or something.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back