Question regarding using Zone Builder

Hello, everyone! I'm new here, but I've frequented this site a lot for downloads and other things. I've been playing SRB2 since 2000-ish, but only recently started trying my hand at things like creating maps and getting into digital software in hopes of creating some character mods/wads.
Anyway, I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this....And maybe I should have looked around more carefully, but I really wanted to ask this question before I forgot again: Are there suiting parts in Zone Builder to properly re-create Blue Marine Zone from Sonic Blast for the Game Gear? ALSO, I apologize if this wasn't the proper place to post such a question.

Last edited:
You can make pretty much anything in Zone Builder these days. Is there something about that zone in particular you're worried about recreating? The hardest part (if you're going for a direct port) will be managing all the FOFs you'll need to stack, but I'd recommend jumping into our Discord and helping test the UDMF build of SRB2 and its accompanying newer version of the editor for that.

You can make pretty much anything in Zone Builder these days. Is there something about that zone in particular you're worried about recreating? The hardest part (if you're going for a direct port) will be managing all the FOFs you'll need to stack, but I'd recommend jumping into our Discord and helping test the UDMF build of SRB2 and its accompanying newer version of the editor for that.
I guess it's just everything in general. I've been messing with Zone Builder, but while looking around, I didn't see any silver pipes while I was browsing through the different map items. I may have seen some pillars, but will need to take a second look through everything again. I wanted to try to make it as close to Blue Marine Zone as possible! What would a direct port be, exactly?
Well, I may join your Discord, then.

I didn't see any silver pipes
Double check the list of textures on the wiki. You can probably Ctrl+F and use keywords to find what you're looking for. I thought we had some silver pipes, but I could be wrong. If there aren't any, you'll need to add some yourself using SLADE. A tutorial to do this is on the wiki, but it's sorely outdated if I remember correctly.

What would a direct port be, exactly?
I just meant as close to the original as possible like you're trying to do :p

Double check the list of textures on the wiki. You can probably Ctrl+F and use keywords to find what you're looking for. I thought we had some silver pipes, but I could be wrong. If there aren't any, you'll need to add some yourself using SLADE. A tutorial to do this is on the wiki, but it's sorely outdated if I remember correctly.

I just meant as close to the original as possible like you're trying to do :p
I looked through the textures again, and completely passed over Techno Hill Zone. There's silver pipes on that! Do pipes function the same as they would on Sonic Blast or Sonic the Hedgehog 2?
I once considered trying to rip the whole Blue Marine Zone map using Slade, but I wasn't even sure if I could do something like that. I'm currently a novice with a lot of softwares, and I'm still learning how to use things, even Slade.
Thank you for all the help! Once I get a few zones I've been working on finished up, I'm going to try and attempt Blue Marine Zone. If I can create a complete recreation to it, I'm pretty sure people are going to hate playing it, haha! It was a pretty frustrating zone, but I still loved it and it's music was amazing.

We have what are called zoom tubes, which you can use to make characters go through your pipes. Check the wiki for the details on how to set them up. They're not very intuitive, so definitely check out the example map linked in the article.
You should probably use an external image editor (Glimpse, for example) to get your texture work done. You could use rips, but you'll probably need to scale them up to get them looking okay ingame, and even then, I doubt they'll look very good. I would suggest trying to make your own if you're willing, or using base game textures as placeholders for the time being.

We have what are called zoom tubes, which you can use to make characters go through your pipes. Check the wiki for the details on how to set them up. They're not very intuitive, so definitely check out the example map linked in the article.
You should probably use an external image editor (Glimpse, for example) to get your texture work done. You could use rips, but you'll probably need to scale them up to get them looking okay ingame, and even then, I doubt they'll look very good. I would suggest trying to make your own if you're willing, or using base game textures as placeholders for the time being.
Well, that should work. I'll certainly check that out, thank you!
I might just go ahead and try to make my own Blue Marine Zone. It shouldn't be as complex and frustrating as making other zone recreations, at least I wouldn't think so. Thank you for all the help! Hopefully I can come up with some good creations to offer to the community here!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back