Problem with master server - error 503: <!DOCTYPE html>

TailsXHeeroes

Oh, uyh... Well hi.
In general, the problem is with the master server error, and it's not a error 403: <!DOCTYPE html>, it's a error 503: <!DOCTYPE html>.
The master server in the config is specified correctly, and for example, when I go manually through the browser, I can perfectly see all the rooms and the servers in them.
I could deal with this, but when I want to play with my friends, I just can't create a server in the room because an error occurs.
Tried several solutions, made a rule in the firewall for srb2win did not help...
I also tried it on an old laptop (now I have a new PC), and again the same error, although before that (about a month ago everything worked).
Opened and closed ports, also error 503: <!DOCTYPE html>.
I even reinstalled windows (not on purpose, did it for another reason), and well, also error 503: <!DOCTYPE html>.
This has been happening since last week and still has this error.

I don't know if the log file will help, but just in case, I'll leave it here.

Fast preview, idk maybe it's help:
"masterserver" is "https://mb.srb2.org/MS/0" default is "https://mb.srb2.org/MS/0"
HMS: connecting 'https://mb.srb2.org/MS/0/versions/18'...
Binding to 0.0.0.0
Network system buffer: 64Kb
ERROR: There was a problem contacting the master server...
Master server error 503: <!DOCTYPE html>
HMS: connecting 'https://mb.srb2.org/MS/0/rooms'...
ERROR: There was a problem contacting the master server...
Master server error 503: <!DOCTYPE html>

Attachments

• log-2022-10-25_14-39-37.txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
What countries are you guys connecting from, by chance?
I'm from Russia, and now I understand your hint, most likely the problem is due to the situation with some country.
Well, anyway, with something else.
I would use vpn, but he does not want to install normally on my PC. (if mean client side, not browser extension).
However, it is still very strange, when I try to go to the site https://mb.srb2.org/MS/0/servers through the browser, for example, I see the server name, and without the VPN itself.

I cannot say for certain that was the problem, but it was just revealed in the official SRB2 Discord that the MS was blocking connections from Russia. The given reason was "art thieves." If you're familiar with community drama you probably know what that entails.

I cannot say for certain that was the problem, but it was just revealed in the official SRB2 Discord that the MS was blocking connections from Russia. The given reason was "art thieves." If you're familiar with community drama you probably know what that entails.
Unfortunately I haven't heard anything about "art thieves" since I'm not on the official srb2 discord. But as I understand it, it can't be fixed.
But at least I hope it goes away soon.

Update (May 20, 2023): STJr has released SRB2 version 2.2.11. In preparation to this version, they've done some work which they claim should fix this in-game Cloudflare interception issue. The following is STJr's announcement of version 2.2.11; if anybody is still experiencing this issue using version 2.2.11 or any later version, then see the previous update from December 24, 2022. (And if anybody from STJr reads this: Thanks!)

Update (December 24, 2022): If you experience this problem, follow the instructions in the following post:

Hello, I sent STJr the details about this problem through the MS "banned" Google form more than a week ago but haven't heard back. TL;DR: The problem is caused by Cloudflare, which intercepts the connection to the mb.srb2.org subdomain and subjects certain clients to a JavaScript challenge. (I've confirmed this with Wireshark.) Obviously, since SRB2 doesn't understand HTML and JavaScript, it fails with an error that it doesn't understand what "<!doctype html>" means. I'm connecting from Israel and my IP address isn't in any spam blacklists (confirmed with bgp.he.net and check.spamhaus.org). I doubt there's a reason to subject me to a JavaScript challenge.

The person from Sonic Team Junior who registered the srb2.org domain should be the only person who can solve this. There are 3 possible solutions:
(1) Log in to the Cloudflare customer dashboard and use it to either contact a Cloudflare representative to help resolve the issue, or manually add an exception to the user agent string which SRB2 uses to not be subjected to JavaScript challenges (EDIT: you can also except the '/MS' path and everything under it, since it is sent in the HTTP header before Cloudflare responds with the challenge); or
(2) Reconfigure the authoritative nameservers of the mb.srb2.org subdomain to be something different from Cloudflare's (currently it uses the same nameservers of the srb2.org top-level domain, which are lily.ns.cloudflare.com and james.ns.cloudflare.com); or
(3) You can also resolve this by running the master server's endpoint for clients and the SRB2 forums separately on two different subdomains instead of one for both, so you could keep the Cloudflare protection for the forums and let clients connect to the master server without issues.

(The srb2.org domain is registered through NameCheap and was last updated on January 30, 2019. The member of STJr who registered the domain is the one who can resolve this issue.)
Post automatically merged:

2 other reports of this issue, one from as early as July 2021:

Sorry for making a lot of posts but actually I did a search and found two other reports of the same issue:
From April 2021: https://mb.srb2.org/threads/i-am-having-a-problem-with-connecting-to-the-masterserver.31836/
From October 2020 (that's two years ago!): https://mb.srb2.org/threads/i-may-b...i-do-if-i-keep-getting-a-doctype-error.29515/

Also one more thing: I didn't check SRB2Kart, but from what I understand it uses the same master server.
Solving this issue could potentially solve many users' past problems with joining and hosting servers, both in SRB2 and SRB2Kart.
(Edit: Now tested SRB2Kart. Its master server's address is ms.kartkrew.org, which doesn't use any CDN and is unaffected by this issue.)

Last edited:
I have not logged into SRB2 for a long time, but now (11/29/22) the error has disappeared.
Finally!
Good for you. This "obsession" by Cloudflare of subjecting clients to anti-bot challenges seems to be happening on other Cloudflare-powered websites (but not on every one). It's something that Cloudflare changed on their end, which most probably accidentally solved your problem (most Cloudflare installations, I would guess, are on websites and not on special server endpoints like the SRB2 MS). You may begin to experience the error again anytime until it would be officially resolved by STJr.
I have just checked SRB2 on my computer: it still fails with the same error. I have posted privately to STJr; while they have acknowledged the issue, they haven't specifically addressed it. Also, the WHOIS records show no change.

STJr has just released version 2.2.11 which should no longer experience this issue.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back