• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

PAINv2.0.pk3

Tarregor

I'm making a mod called PAIN that makes SRB2 get more and more painful to play the further into the game you get. This is accomplished by editing the game's maps to add environmental hazards and add and change enemies, while taking care to make as few changes as possible to each level's geometry so that you don't get thrown off after getting used to this for some reason and then going back to vanilla. I'm mainly posting this here in order to motivate me to work on the mod more often.

You might've played a much earlier version of this mod in netgames before, wherein all I'd done was change the enemies, mostly by putting bees everywhere and pterabytes in "fun" locations, and was made for laughs; this updated version of the mod that I'm working on, however, has far better enemy placement and includes environmental hazards, and is far more painful overall. I'm taking this version of the mod I'm working on far more seriously than the version before it.

Currently, I plan to submit version 2.0 of the mod to the MB when maps 1-27 are complete, and I'll add bonus stages for 2.1, and challenge stages for 2.2, but I don't plan to change the special stages since I'm only good enough at NiGHTS to consistently get 7 chaos emeralds in a casual playthrough. Maybe if someone else could volunteer to do the special stages for me with no compensation beyond the credits, but I kinda doubt that that'd happen.

All affected stages feature the Pain-o-Meter, which is a subtitle for the stage that tells you how painful the stage is gonna be on a scale of 1-10. Heres what you can expect for each scale of the Pain-o-Meter, except different rules are followed for boss levels and underwater levels:
1/10: sparse environmental hazards added, sparse pterabytes and hive elementals are added, and pre-existing enemies are generally upgraded
2/10: 1/10, except all rings that aren't near starposts or the start are removed from the stage, with superring monitors replaced with 1000 point monitors; green springshells weren't necessarily upgraded into yellow ones, however
3/10: sparse environmental hazards added, sparse pterabytes and hive elementals are added, pre-existing enemies are changed around, and all rings that aren't near starposts or the start are removed from the stage, with superring monitors being replaced with 1000 point monitors, and 1up monitors are replaced with 10000 point monitors
4/10: 3/10, but with more environmental hazards, pterabytes, and hive elementals
5/10: 4/10, but with more environmental hazards
6/10: 5/10, but with more environmental hazards; these hazards may or may not require rubbing your brain cells together
7/10: 6/10, but with more pterabytes and only 1 ring near each starpost
8/10: 7/10, but with more environmental hazards, less starposts, and environmental hazards may or may not be sadistic
9/10: 8/10, but with even less starposts, and all shield monitors are replaced with 1000 point monitors, and environmental hazards may or may not be even more numerous or sadistic
10/10: 9/10, but with no rings or starposts
The Pain-o-Meter starts at 1/10 in GFZ1, and slowly increases as you progress through the levels, hitting 10/10 when you enter BCZ1.

This mod will also have several other features come release:
-Turrets fire far more often than before
-Amy won't be able to give players her Rosy Shield anymore because it'd make the mod too easy in netgames
-You can no longer mash jump to escape the grasp of a Pterabyte
-There are no Continues in PAIN; getting a Game Over will IMMEDIATELY send you to GBJ unless you're in a netgame, playing on ultimate, or have completed your save file; custom gamedata users are advised to use a new save file to play PAIN, though a completed file will also be safe to use.
-The mod will have its own save files, and its own unlockable system; everything but pandora's box and secret characters will be unlocked by beating campaign levels, pandora's box will be unlocked by beating ultimate mode, and secret characters will be unlocked by default. Unfortunately, this means that emblems will be meaningless, though I plan to eventually make them mean something long after the mod's release.
-Players won't be able to respawn during boss fights in netgames; if you die, you've gotta wait till everyone else is dead or someone beats the level to respawn, even if starposts aren't set to teamwork
-and more
-Egg Rock Zone 3
this video was made before I decided to double the boss' HP, which'll intentionally also affect DSZ3, and it was also made before I decided to make the player have 0 starting rings in ERZ3.

Currently, the mod is finished, and awaiting approval or rejection.

P.S.: In example2.gif, you can also jump between the cacti.

Attachments

• example1.gif
    example1.gif
    6.2 MB · Views: 120
  • example3.gif
    example3.gif
    8 MB · Views: 136
  • example4.gif
    example4.gif
    6.2 MB · Views: 102
  • example2.gif
    example2.gif
    4.2 MB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Oh hey, I remember you making this! Its been awhile since you hosted it. But I'm glad you're planning on putting this in the MB! Can't lie that this would basically be if the SRB2 Zones are realistic. Very hard and like a Kizo vibe to it. Though.. what happened to only doing the bees? Don't get me wrong, I loved what you did but the bees were good also. Other than that I wish you good luck on release!

I agree! This is basically SRB2 equivalent of the Lost Levels.

Last edited:
Arid Canyon Zone 2 has finally been completed; this stage, due to its myriad alternate pathways, took even longer than CEZ2 to complete, and now I'm moving onto Red Volcano Zone. This zone registers at an 8/10 on the Pain-o-Meter.

P.S.; the metal bridge at the end is doable as Sonic without rolling, thoking, jumping, or making contact with the fireballs; you've just gotta time it right.

Last edited:
jesus christ this is kaizo level nuts

i love it so much, can't wait to see more lmao

-TNT barrels will respawn after 15 seconds... if I figure out how to make it work
Ok so if you want to do this then:
First you will want to store X Y and Z Coords on the player who hit it when the object just spawned. Then
check when it dies(MobjDeath) and make a timer somewhere(maybe on the player)
and then when it runs out spawn 1 barrel where you stored them. and done you have some sort of respawning.

or you can:

when object dies: spawn a new barrel that is nocliping everything and is invisible and you cant hit it. put a timer on this invisible barrel.
when timer`s time has come. you just put all normal flags on the barrel(barrel.flags = mobjinfo[barrel.type].flags)

Arid Canyon Zone 2 has finally been completed; this stage, due to its myriad alternate pathways, took even longer than CEZ2 to complete, and now I'm moving onto Red Volcano Zone. This zone registers at an 8/10 on the Pain-o-Meter.

P.S.; the metal bridge at the end is doable as Sonic without rolling, thoking, jumping, or making contact with the fireballs; you've just gotta time it right.
Man… we got a gamer here! Literally has 0 rings and didn’t even get swooped by the birds. The level looks so good as well, great job on that!

Ok so if you want to do this then:
First you will want to store X Y and Z Coords on the player who hit it when the object just spawned. Then
check when it dies(MobjDeath) and make a timer somewhere(maybe on the player)
and then when it runs out spawn 1 barrel where you stored them. and done you have some sort of respawning.

or you can:

when object dies: spawn a new barrel that is nocliping everything and is invisible and you cant hit it. put a timer on this invisible barrel.
when timer`s time has come. you just put all normal flags on the barrel(barrel.flags = mobjinfo[barrel.type].flags)
ultimately, I settled for replacing the TNT barrels on minecart tracks and most nearby scenery TNT with big maces(which I forgot to reflect in the OP) since I know very little about SOC/lua
if I reconsider before release, then I'll see about doing this, however

also, that .gif took me alotta tries to record, A'dilla

since early October, I've lost my computer, bought a new one, recovered all but one of my files, and brushed up the non-boss levels before RVZ
I'm back to working on RVZ now

don't mind the misplaced slope vertex(if you can see it); fast ZenNode(pictured) misplaces it, but regular ZenNode puts it in the right spot

Last edited:
RVZ turned out to be much more painful than I thought it'd be, but it's finally done; work has begun on ERZ1, where gravity does whatever the hell it wants

srb20093.gif

the purple lasers are instant kill sectors

Last edited:
ERZ1 is complete

unfortunately, I couldn't do much to the conveyor belt room since the FoF limit was of concern in this level, to the extent that I had to remove lighting FoFs from one of the rooms to keep the loading lag below CEZ2 levels
now, I'm gonna go back through the previous levels to make sure that nothing makes the players feel like they died for a reason that wasn't their fault; this'll ultimately mean making existing hazards easier to assess without pausing the game(which might involve removing bees), as well as replacing some pterabytes in RVZ with pyre flies, and I'll make the earlier levels a bit harder too

Last edited:
I've finished polishing up the levels before ERZ1 to comply with what I mentioned in my previous post, as well as hopefully fixing the ridiculous lag that happens at the start of ACZ2 that makes it unplayable for toasters and netgames that was caused by the oil and rock spawners. Many parts of this level pack still won't be friendly to software mode, however, mostly due to the sheer number of objects that'll be onscreen in some parts of some levels, such as the little particles constantly spawn and rise up from firebars, and the rock from rock spawners, and bees.

With that out of the way, work finally has begun on ERZ2. This hazard here was particularly difficult for me to figure out, given that the lights being off at the start meant that you couldn't be expected to know what added hazards are in front of you until it's too late(until I changed it), and that this speedrun skip allows you to, well, skip a starpost's worth of stuff. I'll probably make the lighting around the lasers look better before release, but the lighting of the big sector right in front of the lasers being as it is due to the light of space from beneath it and having a gradient light effect or however upon the surrounding area might compel me to not bother doing that.

I'll also mention that I fixed up the disco room's windows at the start, because I felt like it; apparently, the window FoF had its floor and ceiling above the ceiling of where it was tagged to, and after fixing that, I had to move around the external parts of that part of the disco room so that you could actually see space out of them.

Furthermore, I've decided to re-name the upcoming version from 1.1 to 2.0 since it's so different from v1.0.6, which'll be included alongside v2.0 as a legacy version.

Attachments

• srb20162.gif
    srb20162.gif
    917.1 KB · Views: 88
  • srb20145.gif
    srb20145.gif
    4.6 MB · Views: 85
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    255.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
It's gonna be a while until ERZ2 is done; I'm something like 40% of the way through it by now, though it's been going somewhat faster since multitagging came out.

Also, I've decided to make pterabytes hurt you immediately upon grabbing you.
You might also notice that I cleaned up some textures. I also fixed 2 more after posting this.
That is all.

Last edited:
Sonic Kaizo Blast 2. I love it!
It's gonna be a while until ERZ2 is done; I'm something like 40% of the way through it by now, though it's been going somewhat faster since multitagging came out.

Also, I've decided to make pterabytes hurt you immediately upon grabbing you.
You might also notice that I cleaned up some textures. I also fixed 2 more after posting this.
That is all.

I made a few decisions about the mod's Lua.
First off, I couldn't figure out how to make pterabytes let go of you after you get hurt, so I made it impossible to escape from their grasp by mashing jump instead.

Secondly, I decided that allowing the player to have continues would make this mod not really be so PAINful, so I decided to send the player to GBJ upon game overing unless you're playing a netgame, are playing on ultimate mode, or have completed the save file.

And thirdly, I actually decided this a while ago and finally got around to saying it, but this mod will have its own save files; everything but pandora's box and secret characters will be unlocked by beating campaign levels, and pandora's box will be unlocked by beating the game on ultimate mode, while secret characters will be unlocked by default.

Furthermore, players won't be able to respawn during boss fights in netgames; if you die, you've gotta wait till everyone else is dead or someone beats the level to respawn, even if starposts aren't set to teamwork.

Last edited:
I have now completed every single part of the mod except for the rest of ERZ2; this includes 6 demos(why don't more lvl packs have these?), a new Lua script that adds a boss rush mode, level select icons, unlockable definitions, brushing up the boss levels & BCZ1, and more... but not ERZ2; it'll still be a while till that's done.

Last edited:
just went on a trip down memory lane through the start of this thread. ah sweet memories :) this mod is gonna be great i can feel it and i mean it genuinely no matter how much pain it will cause me, im being genuine cause your putting alot of effort into this i can tell. good luck on the last few touch ups and whatnot!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back