Out of curiosity what is everyone's opinion about Arid Canyon Zone 1

Lumi154

Arid Canyon 1 is by far my favorite stage in the entire game. It feels so open, it's got a number of paths you can use and of course the music. The only thing I would not mind removing are the rope hanging sections since they just take too long.

What is the general opinion of ACZ1

Very good, my fav 2.2 remake followed by DSZ1 and CEZ2. last rope hang section was a little annoying at first but after some practice I can now get past it without any issues.

ACZ1 is a pretty nice stage,as great music and the atmosphere make you feel like on Wild West canyons. The last rope hanging section is quite tricky (i do agree),but with mastering it,you can go through it pretty well. Not to mention, the level design is un-linear like in Sonic CD,with multiple pathways and secret areas.

I know this may not be an official level,but im also gonna mention Encore Mode's ACZ1 (mod made by @TwinsR'Okay ),as its a nice challenge going through multiple times with diffrent characters.

Overall,its the 2nd best stage in the game (after RVZ1, 'cus the 2.2 version is goated IMO, and its 12/10),so im ranking it 10/10.

ACZ1 is a pretty nice stage,as great music and the atmosphere make you feel like on Wild West canyons. The last rope hanging section is quite tricky (i do agree),but with mastering it,you can go through it pretty well. Not to mention, the level design is un-linear like in Sonic CD,with multiple pathways and secret areas.
I agree, and despite the it not being linear I personally find it pretty easy to navigate around the map.

i don't like it because i'm just not good at it lmfao
the aesthetic, music, and level design is fun though!

I agree, and despite the it not being linear I personally find it pretty easy to navigate around the map.
Its kind of a mixed level design,as its easy navigation is a mix of Sonic 1/Sonic 2, while the level is un-linear like Sonic CD.

It's generally fine, but personally I feel like the level that has a similar structure but better execution is Red Volcano Zone. Both are similar in regards to death hazards being close by more often than not, but RVZ gives you a little bit of a buffer of protection with the lava hurting you first before eating your rings rather than just killing you on contact. The general flow of the stage is also very friendly for veteran players who can skillfully navigate through for speedrun times, while I still find myself sometimes getting lost trying to speed my way through ACZ1.

However, what I will give ACZ1 credit for is that between the two levels, it's the more beginner friendly one. While its death hazards are more punishing to those who fall into them, they're generally more avoidable for those who are taking their time whereas doing so is more tricky in RVZ. I also have higher compliments in regards to the theme, as it feels much more complete in 2.2 while RVZ still feels like its missing something. It would probably benefit a lot delving a bit more into the "Tropical Island" theme, with tribal torches scattered about, maybe even a bonfire around somewhere. And of course, adding in more dinosaur themed badniks would go a long way as well.

In general I love the level as well!... But ever since I got into trying Time Attack with mod characters, I now find the last section with the ropes to be boring. It's probably me being impatient, but if I can find a way to skip that part in some way (unless it's too frame perfect) I try doing it because otherwise it feels slow and unfun.
I get to experiment quite a lot with the rest of the level, but said freedom vanishes for the most part when I get there.
I know this thread is about Act 1, but I want to say that I feel pretty similar with Act 2 because of how automated the end can be unless the character(s) can break the minecart doors. Kinda feels like a drag after playing it enough, y'know?

I know this thread is about Act 1, but I want to say that I feel pretty similar with Act 2 because of how automated the end can be unless the character(s) can break the minecart doors. Kinda feels like a drag after playing it enough, y'know?
I mean,when minecarts returned,it was their new debut after SRB2 TGF,so my probabal guess is they had to make the ending section be with use of minecarts.

I mean,when minecarts returned,it was their new debut after SRB2 TGF,so my probabal guess is they had to make the ending section be with use of minecarts.
Ah, I had no idea. I can respect it if that's the case, but doesn't change my opinion much, to be honest! 😅

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back