Oldest mod/addon for SRB2?

i meant the downloads section of srb20ya.neocities.org
Considering that the last downloads section listed here WAS the official SRB2 website one AND there was a mention of that beforehand, can't exactly blame me for thinking you meant the official SRB2 website download section.

This was a utter bitch to research, and... hoo boy. This is going to be quite the quaint doozy.

Short story: It's a old tutorial WAD series made by none other than Sonikku.

Long story: It all starts back in 1999. Production of SRB2 in the Doom engine was just starting to become likely, and the first real glimpse people had of what could be began in October 31st, 1999 with the release of SRB2 Halloween. When I say it was primitive, it was very primitive. Sonic barely had proper sprites at this point except his Sonic X-Treme sprites.

Wanting some participation for the growing game, Sonikku drafted up a "how to create a SRB2 wad" guide on the White Glove Diaries, a proto-blog of sorts that dates back to September. The mod guides would be posted in December 15th and 16th respectively with example WADs to load up into SRB2WEEN, but in turn Sonikku would make history yet again; outside of Sonic Doom, a Doom mod SSNTails created before SRB2, these are the earliest example of the oldest addons for SRB2.

Pictured here for possibly the first time since 1999, tutr1_01.wad. It's quite literally a basic cube (since you were only meant to edit it and see your results in SRB2WEEN).

View attachment 54811

If you don't mind the presence and necessity of some rather archaic tools and files, you can acquire these ancient 22-year old files here.
digging in the website, almost all of the tutorial maps are archived and downloadable, except tutr6_1.....

i don't think it will be found tho, as i doubt someone even has it

digging in the website, almost all of the tutorial maps are archived and downloadable, except tutr6_1.....

i don't think it will be found tho, as i doubt someone even has it
I do have it. I'm messing with the 20YA site at the moment. I'm only missing tutr3_01.

I do have it. I'm messing with the 20YA site at the moment. I'm only missing tutr3_01.
I poked around in the HTML code... and it turns out that tutr3_01 literally does not exist.
No, I'm not fucking with you. The HTML code deliberately references part 2 here.

1637467435715.png

So... mystery solved?

This was a utter bitch to research, and... hoo boy. This is going to be quite the quaint doozy.

Short story: It's a old tutorial WAD series made by none other than Sonikku.

Long story: It all starts back in 1999. Production of SRB2 in the Doom engine was just starting to become likely, and the first real glimpse people had of what could be began in October 31st, 1999 with the release of SRB2 Halloween. When I say it was primitive, it was very primitive. Sonic barely had proper sprites at this point except his Sonic X-Treme sprites.

Wanting some participation for the growing game, Sonikku drafted up a "how to create a SRB2 wad" guide on the White Glove Diaries, a proto-blog of sorts that dates back to September. The mod guides would be posted in December 15th and 16th respectively with example WADs to load up into SRB2WEEN, but in turn Sonikku would make history yet again; outside of Sonic Doom, a Doom mod SSNTails created before SRB2, these are the earliest example of the oldest addons for SRB2.

Pictured here for possibly the first time since 1999, tutr1_01.wad. It's quite literally a basic cube (since you were only meant to edit it and see your results in SRB2WEEN).

View attachment 54811

If you don't mind the presence and necessity of some rather archaic tools and files, you can acquire these ancient 22-year old files here.
oh so tutr1_01.wad was the first mod or addon in srb2... epic

It's possible there were more that existed before it (Maybe there were mods for Sonic Doom?), but at that point we're beginning to delve into indev STJr territory which is notoriously tricky to keep track of.

srb2 halloween 1.0 is still pretty different to doom, i loaded doom 2 on srb2 halloween 1.0 and its gone pretty different

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back