Oldest mod/addon for SRB2?

Cranni

I was looking around but I couldn't find anything, but does anyone know when the modding community really started with this game? Does anyone have at least some some sort of timeframe or window, any information would be great.

pretty sure there was a few addons packed in with demo 2 or something.
Post automatically merged:

pretty sure there was a few addons packed in with demo 2 or something.
but they were made by ssn or sonniku or something

I was looking around but I couldn't find anything, but does anyone know when the modding community really started with this game? Does anyone have at least some some sort of timeframe or window, any information would be great.
Yes! Snooping in the Time machine for SRB2 history payed off!
So, in demo 2 SSNTails created a custom character. It was Mega man.
Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 8.36.06 PM.png

wait, the #srb2 is that old???? its a legal adult now!
The website, or the game itself? If your talking about the official website than yeah it is! I think it opened up before demo 1, not to sure though
Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 8.46.22 PM.png

You can probably do the math.

Sick dude, thanks! I just woke up one morning and decided I wanted to know as much SRB2 history as possible, this definitely helped!
I know this is 2-days late, but if you haven't I also recommend checking these too out with as well to get to know it's 20-year history,

(This one has nothing to do with characters but this does showcase a lot of stuff, if you haven't you should defiantly watch this and the other episodes!)

(While this episode doesn't, the next one only tells you the first 3 characters that were made too. Plus so much is covered but not as much as the first one, you should still watch this though.)

Otherwise no problem, if you want to know more, the srb2 wiki or wayback will help you a lot.

This was a utter bitch to research, and... hoo boy. This is going to be quite the quaint doozy.

Short story: It's a old tutorial WAD series made by none other than Sonikku.

Long story: It all starts back in 1999. Production of SRB2 in the Doom engine was just starting to become likely, and the first real glimpse people had of what could be began in October 31st, 1999 with the release of SRB2 Halloween. When I say it was primitive, it was very primitive. Sonic barely had proper sprites at this point except his Sonic X-Treme sprites.

Wanting some participation for the growing game, Sonikku drafted up a "how to create a SRB2 wad" guide on the White Glove Diaries, a proto-blog of sorts that dates back to September. The mod guides would be posted in December 15th and 16th respectively with example WADs to load up into SRB2WEEN, but in turn Sonikku would make history yet again; outside of Sonic Doom, a Doom mod SSNTails created before SRB2, these are the earliest example of the oldest addons for SRB2.

Pictured here for possibly the first time since 1999, tutr1_01.wad. It's quite literally a basic cube (since you were only meant to edit it and see your results in SRB2WEEN).

1634440305828.png

If you don't mind the presence and necessity of some rather archaic tools and files, you can acquire these ancient 22-year old files here.

This was a utter bitch to research, and... hoo boy. This is going to be quite the quaint doozy.

Short story: It's a old tutorial WAD series made by none other than Sonikku.

Long story: It all starts back in 1999. Production of SRB2 in the Doom engine was just starting to become likely, and the first real glimpse people had of what could be began in October 31st, 1999 with the release of SRB2 Halloween. When I say it was primitive, it was very primitive. Sonic barely had proper sprites at this point except his Sonic X-Treme sprites.

Wanting some participation for the growing game, Sonikku drafted up a "how to create a SRB2 wad" guide on the White Glove Diaries, a proto-blog of sorts that dates back to September. The mod guides would be posted in December 15th and 16th respectively with example WADs to load up into SRB2WEEN, but in turn Sonikku would make history yet again; outside of Sonic Doom, a Doom mod SSNTails created before SRB2, these are the earliest example of the oldest addons for SRB2.

Pictured here for possibly the first time since 1999, tutr1_01.wad. It's quite literally a basic cube (since you were only meant to edit it and see your results in SRB2WEEN).

View attachment 54811

If you don't mind the presence and necessity of some rather archaic tools and files, you can acquire these ancient 22-year old files here.
My god I already know that was absolute hell looking for all that info

...wow, I'm surprised that that's even still available to download at all after all this time, even through Wayback Machine. Good find!

Also, regarding the custom characters in Demo 3, yes SSNTails made the Megaman character, but the other two were made by other people. The Chao character was made by Rlan (the founder of SFGHQ) in June 2001, while the Cinossu character was made by Cinossu also in 2001. This is all stated on the wiki here: https://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Demo_3

Meadow Match is probably another good contender for one of the oldest mods; apparently it was created around the time that Demo 2 came out, and was known as "smatch.wad".

...wow, I'm surprised that that's even still available to download at all after all this time, even through Wayback Machine. Good find!
It's very underestimated just how much work was done to get to that point.

I couldn't find any other mirrors of the tutorial WADs online and there was almost no information on where the original White Glove Diaries were located. I had to spend about 8 hours trekking through old Sonic fansites just to find a link to the older SSRG STJr website, and then look into the website paths to find where they were. It's a damn miracle that the eight example WADs were saved, since almost nothing else except the WGD in the archives remained.

Preferably, these would be archived in the actual srb2.org website since it has a barely functional mirror of the WGD; although I don't know how feasible that would be since it isn't properly linked in the website.

Preferably, these would be archived in the actual srb2.org website since it has a barely functional mirror of the WGD; although I don't know how feasible that would be since it isn't properly linked in the website.
Probably feasible, just need to ask someone who can edit the website to do so. The WGD and a couple of other historical content used to have a page where they were directly linked, but it disappeared around the time 2.0 came out. (I made a list of them in my userspace on the wiki some time ago in fact.) I asked about that some years later, and it sounds like that was an accident apparently?

Otherwise, yeah, we should probably archive this somewhere!

I asked about that some years later, and it sounds like that was an accident apparently?
After thinking about it, I believe it should be somewhere in the Historic Downloads section. It definitely is a part of SRB2 history and needs to be widely accessible instead of... well, having to be like me with a knowledge of how to browse URLs and dead links. If we can have SRB1 in there, why not the rest of the WGD fixed up?

Last edited:
I do admit that I also found those old 1999 map editing tutorial maps back about 2 years ago. I wish I had mentioned it earlier.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back