Official Level Design Contest: May/June

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course they are, just keep in mind that they are buggy and will activate if you are above them as well as on them. Any and all linedef and sector specials are allowed, AKAIK.

I said:
That I said:
WADS IN PROGRESS:
May Flowers (MTA)

I am giving May Flowers a complete overhaul and renaming it to May Mudpools. Think of it as a sequel to April Showers when you play it.

Another overhaul. It's going to have a forest look to it.

FuriousFox said:
http://www.geocities.com/furiousfox1988/gmz2.JPG

I hope that at least one of you are planning on making a single-player level this time. I don't want to just win by default again.

That won't happen. Hotdog's making a submission.

Hotdog said:
Can we release our unfinished maps for debug/error testing?
EX. WinCrash98 doesn't work, the textures are all fudged up and the flats are crazily unusable. Can I release my map so you guys can fix it for me?

There are 3 problems with this: The pink line through the recycle bin, the tiled start menu (supposed to be 224f. wide, looks to be 128f. wide), and the red noise through the flat just above the start menu. It's supposed to be solid white.

The size of the icon texture is 128x512, the start menu is 224x32, the flat is 64x64, and the last bit of the start menu texture is 4x32. Are they supposed to be square or something? 'Cause, it would really speed up my design if they didn't have to be.

*sigh*
Boy, I thought that Windows was bad, but it even hates me enough to not let me edit windows-themed levels!!!
*switches to Linux*

Assuming the Recycle Bin is the 128x512 one, make sure that you have split up the height into four different patches. Anything higher than 255 can get a little weird.

Tiled start menu: texture width must be a power of 2. So, make it a 256-pixels-wide texture and fill in the extra space with stuff (like, say, another instance of the patch). It's not like it'll be visible as long as the linedef is 224 units long, anyway.

Red noise through the flat, huh? Make sure it's saved as a DOOM flat (ie: displays in the top-left when viewed in XWE, NOT in the center). That's about all I can say on that.

Textures don't need to be square; they can have irregular heights (though you WILL need an extra patch every 128 pixels), but width must remain a power of 2.

As a reminder, the deadline is in just over a week. This would be a good time to finish up your work, or if you're the last minute type, get started ^_~

I've got a Match stage mostly finished (just need to change the music in the map header) and a SP stage that I'm currently texturing. With any luck, that latter one will be done by the deadline... Although, my current vision for it involves custom enemies - more or less like Crawlas, except they stop and shoot at you (and a few elite ones, used sparingly, shoot turret fire). That could take time, seeing as I've not experimented with SOC editing before.

Incidentally both stages are just ports from DOOM stages so yes, for now, I'm being very unoriginal. At least the Match stage works fairly well. The single-player stage... well, I've yet to finish it so I can't say how well it'll work. Let's just say that if you like flat, you'll be interested. But then, I wasn't shooting for "superb", I was shooting for "unique" and "example of how to put custom textures to good use" and "making it so that FuriousFox doesn't win by default again".

Holy Cr*p, WED is Not-so-Finished right now, but I need to know something.
Is there any topic that teaches how to make custom things?

UPDATE : I am now complete with all of my wads. I will send them to Mystic tomorrow; I don't have time today.

P.S. Sorry for the double post.

JetKrazy said:
I just noticed FuriousFox is an admin...
Don't worry, you aren't a stupid... Yesterday (or at least the day before yesterday) he was a moderator still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back