• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Nicky The Hedgehog (WIP)

Floof

I'm making it happen.
Fully playable, but sprites are only 15% about 20% 48% done at the moment. Recolored Amy sprites are used as placeholders.
Special Thanks to Clairebun for VL_DropDash&DoubleJump-v1.3, upon which the first implimentations of what would become the Tumbledash were built.
Note: Nicky's properties change slightly with each Chaos Emerald collected.

Most recent file: https://mb.srb2.org/attachments/cl_nicky-v1-8-5beta-pk3.81959/

Attachments

• srb20021.png
    srb20021.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,160
  • CL_Nicky-v1beta.pk3
    656.5 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
I'm making it happen.
Fully playable, but sprites are only 15% done at the moment. Recolored Amy sprites are used as placeholders.
Special Thanks to Clairebun for VL_DropDash&DoubleJump-v1.3, upon which the first implimentations of what would become the Tumbledash were built.
Note: Nicky's properties change slightly with each Chaos Emerald collected.
Not gonna lie, His custom title screen Sprite looks cool! :wonderful:

Oh no,he is having the physics from Sonic 2 Nick Arcade prototype!
srb20001.gif

(Yes,im playing on phone)

Doesn't really seem like he sacrifices control when he hits the ground, but still a neat concept. I could see some cool things coming from this. Maybe it would be a god idea to give some sort of perk while being uncurled.

Attachments

• srb21042.gif
    srb21042.gif
    4.6 MB · Views: 84
Doesn't really seem like he sacrifices control when he hits the ground, but still a neat concept. I could see some cool things coming from this. Maybe it would be a god idea to give some sort of perk while being uncurled.
Most of your controls are outright locked for 5 * (10 - x) tics (where x is a variable storing the players current emerald count) as the tumbledash starts, while your angle is slightly shifted for the duration. Your camera controls aren't affected, but those shouldn't influence your movement unless...
Ah.
That's right.
Strafe controls.
Post automatically merged:

yeah, this fix works. Nicky is now compatible with the strafe playstyle.
Some new sprites have been added, btw.

Attachments

• CL_Nicky-v1.0.1beta.pk3
    655.8 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
After adding, adjusting, and scrapping 3 different features and adjusting Nicky's stats, I've ended up several versions beyond what I was at before without as many differences as the version number would imply. On the upside, now Nicky has a custom color.
And like way more sprites.

okay so that infinite double jump wasn't supposed to be a thing oops

Attachments

• CL_Nicky-v1.8.5beta.pk3
    650.2 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
I just realized what this was from, it is from the Japanese sonic the hedgehog manga

also i found the drop dash to be very hard to control.

I just realized what this was from, it is from the Japanese sonic the hedgehog manga

also i found the drop dash to be very hard to control.
nvm i realized that i never read the tips but now that explains it

Last edited:
Took a break but I'm still working on this. Since there's no updated download ready at the moment I thought I'd share the original intended front idle sprite from before I developed the much faster workflow that I'm using for the current spriteset. I personally like the way the head and shirt on it looks more, but there was no way I was gonna make 100+ sprites on its level. Maybe someday I'll change my mind, maybe someone better at working with sprites will offer to collab, or otherwise get inspired to make a sprite patch, or maybe we'll be stuck with the fruits of my inexperience forever. Who can say?

Attachments

• STNDA1_Old.png
    STNDA1_Old.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 94
Whoa, that one manga character that was like Clark Kent but Sonic? Oh Heck Yea! This seems like one of the most unique ideas for a addon because Surge and Tangle and Whisper are now more known because of their mod. THIS character specifically is so obscure that it is a really neat idea

no the nick arcade when you hit a wall to fast you get knocked back.
Interesting note about that, here it's actually triggered by colliding with a wall while in a spin state, provided you don't have many chaos emeralds. If you do it while moving slow enough (say, by bumping into a wall while spin jumping from a standstill), you can use it for a quick boost in height.
This bumpjump tech was a bug, the knockback was intended to be a mark of Nicky not having a handle of his potential, not to serve any useful purpose, but it's kinda fun to do these kinds of exploits so I've decided to leave it in until release in case anyone wants to keep playing with it.

Yo! It's me, the guy who cancelled my own Nicky Paralouzer mod.
This looks AMAZING, makes me wanna continue mine!
Anyways, this is outstanding. I'm speechless. Better than what I could've done around 2 years back.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back