New to forums and would like opinions and news on the thok being replaced

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already shared my thoughts on this on another thread. But I'll repost it here

I recently watched a video on YouTube tackling this debate, and I will come to my own conclusion. While I understand STJr's reasoning to change it to be more friendly to new players, looking at how the unique replacement ability was described (and what little of it was shown) was mind-numbing. Like it took me a moment to understand. The best way I can describe it is something like X-Treme Sonic's ability but not really. It feels like an overcomplicated double jump that shouldn't even be that complex. Also, the fact that it looks SLOW and BORING.

The Thok in my eyes is irreplaceable, even though I haven't played SRB2 for years like some, Thok is the most balanced ability in the game. It's rewarding for people who know how to use it and punishing for players who spam it. You just have to and I'm putting this nicely, GET GOOD. As someone who's played and beaten several map packs as just Sonic, the fun in Sonic is using your simple move pool to beat stages quickly and to just have fun. No characters need complex, extra abilities for no reason. Take characters like StephChars and RushChars, even though these characters don't have much, if you master them they're just as good as Sonic.

If STJr wants to continue with this ability they can stick it on an OC character or something. There are like 82746582376952 types of animals.

Tldr: They should keep the Thok, not just for old fans but for fact that it doesn't need to be changed.

I already shared my thoughts on this on another thread. But I'll repost it here

I recently watched a video on YouTube tackling this debate, and I will come to my own conclusion. While I understand STJr's reasoning to change it to be more friendly to new players, looking at how the unique replacement ability was described (and what little of it was shown) was mind-numbing. Like it took me a moment to understand. The best way I can describe it is something like X-Treme Sonic's ability but not really. It feels like an overcomplicated double jump that shouldn't even be that complex. Also, the fact that it looks SLOW and BORING.

The Thok in my eyes is irreplaceable, even though I haven't played SRB2 for years like some, Thok is the most balanced ability in the game. It's rewarding for people who know how to use it and punishing for players who spam it. You just have to and I'm putting this nicely, GET GOOD. As someone who's played and beaten several map packs as just Sonic, the fun in Sonic is using your simple move pool to beat stages quickly and to just have fun. No characters need complex, extra abilities for no reason. Take characters like StephChars and RushChars, even though these characters don't have much, if you master them they're just as good as Sonic.

If STJr wants to continue with this ability they can stick it on an OC character or something. There are like 82746582376952 types of animals.

Tldr: They should keep the Thok, not just for old fans but for fact that it doesn't need to be changed.
Well I mean the thok is good for instant speed, though the thok is terrible for platforming unless you are a god at using it since it launches you faster than a bullet at mach 10 making you slam your face into a wall and probably killing you, Now dont get me wrong the thok is good in most levels due to its ability to turn instantly and a potential to skip sections of levels (if you're good enough), But it is terrible for later levels where you just thok yourself into death pits because of its overwhelming speed (at least for beginners). and saying: "GET GOOD" is a bad argument because of the skill floor required to master it and "GET GOOD" is high enough so srb2 better be one of your main games or you aint mastering it.

Honestly the thok has been around for too long to be replaced because if it is replaced people will complain about it, making a new character solution a good idea (maybe making it an option can also help), the way i see the new ability is that it adds more control to sonic, making a drop dash that can cause you to go pretty fast (like the thok?) and possibly another way to reverse momentum mid-air without flying into lava.

However nothing can be justified before we actually get a way to play with the new ability. So nothing is super duper clear on how it will actually work, however from what we have seen makes the new ability more platforming and beginner friendly. I would say for STjr to make the option for either ability since people have already mastered the thok to the point where it is a part of themselves since the thok has been around for so many years.

Keep the thok but do this, when standing still you thok it's a very little speed boost and when you get to max speed the thok has a lot of speed boost and when you get the speed shoes YOU GET A LOT AND I MEAN A LOT LOT SPEED BOOST

when i first saw to power spin, i decided to make lua called “the power thok”. it’s like a homing thok but when there’s nothing to home onto, it’s a jump thok. After homing onto an enemy,

hi, i am very new to the forums and would love to know the news about the thok being replaced, or pretty much any news about srb2 thats interesting.
Personally, I LOVE the Thok, it's super rewarding to get right. I can understand wanting something new, but the Thok is too iconic to change imo

I mean, I kinda have love hate relationship with the thok itself, but it's a shame it's gonna get replaced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back