Multiple equally spaced constantly falling sectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuriousFox

AKA FuriousFox
fallingplatforms.jpg

(Please excuse the poor quality, I screencapped a YouTube video.)

Basically, I'm trying to make something like this. I need to make multiple falling platforms, equally spaced from each other. The problem is that I don't know how to set the starting position of each FOF to be different than the position it goes to when it resets. Without being able to do that, I can't keep the platforms spaced out properly.

Is it possible to set a starting position that is seperate from the restarting position? If so, how?

Does a system like this work?

blockdiagram.gif

Time progresses from left to right, individual FOFs are color-coded.

I told Ash how to do something exactly like this a while back, so let me dig it up and copy paste it here...

BlueZero4 said:
IIRC, continuously falling platforms know how far they need to fall (or rise) because of an adjacent control sector. Start all of the rising platforms by making them only rise 1 fracunit before reseting to their original position. Essentially, they'll be vibrating up and down reaaaally fast.

Next I would use a gargoyle box to move the sectors that tell the continuously rising platforms how far they need to rise. Try using linedefs 106 and 107; they change the heights instantly so there's no bugging up.

Does a system like this work?

blockdiagram.gif

Time progresses from left to right, individual FOFs are color-coded.
Hm, this might actually work.

I'm going to have to look into this more.

EDIT: Unfortunately, it seems that the player is locked to the floor when it resets (The platform is reset, but the player doesn't go to the next platform. He stays on the first one.). The platforms in DSZ2 don't seem to have this problem, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. It could have something to do with the fact that I've got them set to go upwards instead of downwards, I don't know.

EDIT2: Actually, it seems the DSZ2 platforms ARE affected by this. To the bug reports topic!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back