multiple 3D model packs (help)

Bloxxy_B0X

hey there, is there a way to use two separate 3D model packs in SRB2 with different mods for the same character? I'm trying to use a certain model for Tails and another for Blue Shoes / XMomentum Tails, is there a way to assign the models separately for the two versions? it would be a huge help if someone helps with this :]

the model packs I'm trying to assign in question are:
Tails - Kandrum's 3D Models
Blue Shoes / XMomentum Tails - Saturn Dreams model pack

The models have to use the same names as the sprites, so if you want to mix and match, you're going to have to make clone characters with slightly different sprite names and rename the models. Possibly their animations too, but I'm not sure as I don't know how to put an MD2/3 together.

The models have to use the same names as the sprites, so if you want to mix and match, you're going to have to make clone characters with slightly different sprite names and rename the models. Possibly their animations too, but I'm not sure as I don't know how to put an MD2/3 together.
yeah uh, I heard that it's possible to assign different models to different characters if it's possible via the .dat file or sumn
but I wonder if it's possible with what I mentioned above

This is possible, you just need to add a custom model definition to your models.dat file.

A character model definition has three key components:

1. The skinname of the character.
2. The filepath to the MD3 file and textures.
3. Values relating to model scale.

For example, Metal Sonic's default model definition is "METALSONIC PLAY/METAL_SONIC.md3 3.0 0.0". Note how it's METALSONIC and not Metal Sonic. This is the skinname the game uses internally, not the name used for the HUD or CSS. Xmomentum Tails has the skinname BLUESHOESTAILS.

The filepath starts from within the models subfolder. Metal Sonic's MD3 file is stored under "SRB2 2.2/models/PLAY". Therefore, the model definition simply says "PLAY/METAL_SONIC.md3" because it being within the models subfolder is assumed. If there is an additional folder in the way, it needs to be included.

The scale values should only be messed with if the model ends up being too big or small. Otherwise, don't mess with it.

This is possible, you just need to add a custom model definition to your models.dat file.

A character model definition has three key components:

1. The skinname of the character.
2. The filepath to the MD3 file and textures.
3. Values relating to model scale.

For example, Metal Sonic's default model definition is "METALSONIC PLAY/METAL_SONIC.md3 3.0 0.0". Note how it's METALSONIC and not Metal Sonic. This is the skinname the game uses internally, not the name used for the HUD or CSS. Xmomentum Tails has the skinname BLUESHOESTAILS.

The filepath starts from within the models subfolder. Metal Sonic's MD3 file is stored under "SRB2 2.2/models/PLAY". Therefore, the model definition simply says "PLAY/METAL_SONIC.md3" because it being within the models subfolder is assumed. If there is an additional folder in the way, it needs to be included.

The scale values should only be messed with if the model ends up being too big or small. Otherwise, don't mess with it.
OH SWEET, this is great to know, thank you so much dude! :D
...wait so if I wanted to assign Blue Shoes to the Saturn Dreams model would I have to change the model & texture name for it to work? then assign it to Blue Shoes in the .DAT file?
aka, so I can use both Tails textures as I'm pretty sure the Saturn Dreams one overwrites the default model if there's no changes done to it

OH SWEET, this is great to know, thank you so much dude! :D
...wait so if I wanted to assign Blue Shoes to the Saturn Dreams model would I have to change the model & texture name for it to work? then assign it to Blue Shoes in the .DAT file?
aka, so I can use both Tails textures as I'm pretty sure the Saturn Dreams one overwrites the default model if there's no changes done to it
No problem. I don't know if Saturn Dreams does something special, but if you overwrote the default Tails model, you have an entirely separate problem. You can assign any compatible model to any character regardless of filename, just change the filepath in models.dat to reference the different MD3 name.

No problem. I don't know if Saturn Dreams does something special, but if you overwrote the default Tails model, you have an entirely separate problem. You can assign any compatible model to any character regardless of filename, just change the filepath in models.dat to reference the different MD3 name.
perfecto, again, thank you for the help :D

Has someone submitted a Guide for this yet? If not, it would be pretty cool if you did, Dylan.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back