= Metroid Vanguard = Samus Aran in SRB2 [v1.5c]

= Metroid Vanguard = Samus Aran in SRB2 [v1.5c] v1.5c

i really like this mod, however, as much as i like it i cant play it because when i try to be samus my game crashes (sigsegv: invalid skin color 385), altho funny thing is that you can walljump off of players in co-op
srb20022.gif

Actually, quick question, you ever plan on making a separate mod for just the Samus character just like with SMS? Been playing on a few servers here and there that have had it and I always note that whenever anyone has the character restriction turned off the engine wishes for death. It's that, or maybe it was the netcode killing it, but either way, is that gonna be a possibility in the future or nah?

MK on the SRB2 Discord went digging in the PK3 and found something interesting...
In MAINCFG.SOC there's an unused level header for Red Volcano Zone Act 4. Is it simply leftover from development or is this hinting at something?

Is the Spider Ball meter meant to reset every time you boost off the wall? It lets you infinitely climb (though it's often awkward to do) and I'm not sure if that's intended.

Is the Spider Ball meter meant to reset every time you boost off the wall? It lets you infinitely climb (though it's often awkward to do) and I'm not sure if that's intended.
It is completely and absolutely intended. It's no worse than IBJ and Wall Jumping, but it makes an easier alternative for newer players!

There's major potential for map packs based around this, could we get permission to use it and certain things like the stuff from DSZ4 and ACZ4 for example?
Of course! Anything here is reusable. It's only fair to the creators of Metroid Dreadnought, which this mod even now still lends some assets from. If I wasn't allowed to start off with those, this mod probably wouldn't have happened either.

with a mod like this it has me wanting more, especially in the vein of some Hunters content.
A Fully fledged Class-based metroid fps in the vein of Mega Man: 8-Bit Deathmatch with hunters like Sylux or Weavel would be absolutely amazing. Especially if you got shit like Dark Samus, Rundus, and some other bounty hunters/antagonists thrown into the mix
Man it makes me wanna try my hand at modding If I knew how to code in the DOOM/SRB2 engine
Hell, something like that with all these crazy character mods thrown in as well, like Duke and Tailsguy, would make for a very interesting fps mode.
if a campaign isn't possible, then by god, I'll still be hoping for some more metroid characters at the very least, because this mod is and will always be fun for me
Samus does have mild compatibility with both Duke and Tailsguy if you wanna give that a shot. It's not 100% balanced, but the most skilled player will still likely win so long as you use the default settings.

I feel like the powerup system already lends to a sort of "class" system. There's the one madlad you wanna be careful of because you know they have powerbombs, there's one dude somehow got a billion super missiles, while the other guy's only got missiles and the Plasma Gattling Vortex.

...not quite the same.
i really like this mod, however, as much as i like it i cant play it because when i try to be samus my game crashes (sigsegv: invalid skin color 385)
Using any custom skincolor mods? Adding Samus before adding those may fix your issue.

Actually, quick question, you ever plan on making a separate mod for just the Samus character just like with SMS? Been playing on a few servers here and there that have had it and I always note that whenever anyone has the character restriction turned off the engine wishes for death. It's that, or maybe it was the netcode killing it, but either way, is that gonna be a possibility in the future or nah?
There's no need. The levels don't interfere with any vanilla assets and the in-ship settings allow you to have Samus while everything else is vanilla SRB2. Levels and campaign progression included.
There was a bonus goal to do RVZ4 if the sprite artist found any extra time. It didn't happen. Which may have been for the better anyway. Samus would've only been released somewhere this month if I did actually get to that.
Hey I keep getting invalid skin color #120, any idea what I should do to fix it?
If you use custom color mods, try adding Samus before adding those. If that's not it, uhhh...what version of SRB2 are you using?

Ok, this may just be me for some reason but Samus’ items tend to break at random
Most of the mobility stuff (ex. space jump, speed booster) gets disabled when everything starts to break and it feels like I’m moving underwater without the gravity suit
If I manage to complete the stage I just end up being unable to switch beams or... do anything other than move or jump, really
Any possible reason why this happens? It’s been most common in netgames, but it’s happened once when I entered Pipe Towers too

Of course! Anything here is reusable. It's only fair to the creators of Metroid Dreadnought, which this mod even now still lends some assets from. If I wasn't allowed to start off with those, this mod probably wouldn't have happened either.

Samus does have mild compatibility with both Duke and Tailsguy if you wanna give that a shot. It's not 100% balanced, but the most skilled player will still likely win so long as you use the default settings.

I feel like the powerup system already lends to a sort of "class" system. There's the one madlad you wanna be careful of because you know they have powerbombs, there's one dude somehow got a billion super missiles, while the other guy's only got missiles and the Plasma Gattling Vortex.

...not quite the same.

Using any custom skincolor mods? Adding Samus before adding those may fix your issue.

There's no need. The levels don't interfere with any vanilla assets and the in-ship settings allow you to have Samus while everything else is vanilla SRB2. Levels and campaign progression included.

There was a bonus goal to do RVZ4 if the sprite artist found any extra time. It didn't happen. Which may have been for the better anyway. Samus would've only been released somewhere this month if I did actually get to that.

If you use custom color mods, try adding Samus before adding those. If that's not it, uhhh...what version of SRB2 are you using?
That's the weird thing, I'm not using any custom color mods

Samus Aran and Metroid needs so much more love since Nintendo is only working on a game 10 years after her last true appearance...

From a gameplay standpoint I think this absolutely trumps Metroid Dreadnaught. The fast paced style of classic 2D and 3D Metroid games combined into one fluid style works perfectly well especially combined with the large open zones of SRB2 which were already made for exploration. Secret hunting is well rewarding with energy tanks and early upgrades, making taking your time playing a very necessary thing to keep in mind (No more speed running GFZ1, sorry). Abilities such as the shine spark are implemented well and are extremely fun to use once you get the swing of it, helping to clear large portions of levels in short periods of time. Of course it has its flaws as anything does, but overall this is an easy 9/10 mod and holds a lot of replayability for its secrets to be found and 100% completion ending.

A couple personal gripes that I hope are addressed, as well as some bugs Ive encounter and some questions if you'd be willing to answer them.

Issues:
-Some enemies (In Hyper mode and upward) can have more unique attacks besides "They can shoot fire now" or "They go faster now" especially in the case of Robo-hoods, which just doesn't make a lot of sense altogether. (Red Crawlas can be very unfair to fight against early in-game with not a lot of upgrades, especially in numbers)
-Missile fire rate can be a tad bit faster, would make the weapon a lot more effective later in-game once you have super missiles as well (Maybe some sort of faster fire or faster charge upgrade?)
-Some sprites are inconsistent, specifically Samus's feet, which appear more rounded and very large in some sprites and smaller in others, as well as Samus not actually holding her arm cannon

Bugs:
-Samus can be forced into a Super form if you have all 7 emeralds and attempt to wall climb with the Spider Ball after collecting 50 rings
-Only a small portion of Samus's health will be reduced by this, usually stopping over 50 hp drained, possibly leading to an infinite super if out of rings (still need to test this to confirm)
-Samus can sometimes get stuck in boost panels in Morph Ball form, only being freed uncurling
-One is currently able to keep reloading a stage from the first checkpoint to farm upgrades and pickups early in-game (More than likely not a bug but I figured I would mention it anyway) You can only do it with "lives" you have that you can still track by the sound in the background when getting enough points for one, but the actual count isn't shown albeit them still being used for Retries.

Questions (You don't have to answer these, but it would be greatly appreciated):
-Will MV receive any more gameplay content in the future besides bug fixes? Enemies, upgrades, levels, etc
-How do you think Samus would fare with having a 3D model (if somebody made one for her)
-Do you think farming items by resetting the stage could be halted in some way? Falling into a pit to reset it might be unavoidable, but can something like the default SRB2 Live system be done away with entirely so she cant force respawn as long as she has vanilla lives?
-Are you open to ideas or suggestions regarding content for the mod?

Thanks for reading my text well lol

Last edited:
My question: Is there full compatability with the following?:
Sol Sestancia
I hope there is. Sol Sestancia is my favorite level pack, and seeing this makes me wonder the possibility of a full extra story, where Samus crashes from the Egg Fleet 3.5 defense system, and makes her way through Sol Sestancia. Otherwise, this is way past cool!
:wonderful: Keep it up!

My question: Is there full compatability with the following?:
Sol Sestancia
I hope there is. Sol Sestancia is my favorite level pack, and seeing this makes me wonder the possibility of a full extra story, where Samus crashes from the Egg Fleet 3.5 defense system, and makes her way through Sol Sestancia. Otherwise, this is way past cool!
:wonderful: Keep it up!
Ive tested that, you can play the map pack perfectly fine from what Ive seen

Samus works in most map packs flawlessly based on what I've tested out just you don't see the vanilla game cutscenes and special bosses, and usually start off with the radar scanner

Back