Metal Sonic Ability Design Contest (MSADC) Discussion Thread

lnferno

Blazing Creator
Some of you may remember the SADC, which was a contest for designing and coding a new ability for Sonic.

Recently, someone (GentlemanOctopus) proposed a Metal Sonic Ability Design Contest.

As some of you may know, the developers seek to change the ability of Metal Sonic, since Hover doesn't really help with maintaining Dash Mode as much.
This hasn't really been controversial, but a good discussion is a good discussion.

What is this, you ask?
- As with the SADC, this is a 2 month-long contest intended for people to design a new ability for Metal Sonic which either helps to maintain Dashmode or reimagines the Dash Mode dynamic altogether.
- Anyone who knows Lua or SOC is allowed to join.
- After one month, entries should be submitted to me via DMs either on the Message Board or Discord (Inferno#9355). These will later be released in a ZIP onto the Message Board, like the SADC.
- After I recieve and review all entries, the package will be released. After this, a thread SEPERATE from the release post will be set up, for voting on these trophies:
-- First place
-- Second place
-- Third place
-- Most fun ability
-- Easiest ability to pick up and play
-- Most OP ability
-- Silliest ability
- Some of these trophies may naturally overlap depending on number of participants.

Here's some guidelines to follow:
- The ability must be for Metal Sonic, and replace the Hover.
-- YOU CAN replace Dashmode with something like it, but you cannot remove it. If it is truly needed to remove it, let me know.
- The ability's activation should ideally only require pressing the jump button in midair. I'm fine with more complex two button activations involving Jump and Spin if necessary though.
- The ability shouldn't behave exactly like a pre-existing ability. If the ability is revamped enough, though, I'll allow it.

The deadline is one month from now, April 3rd, at 12 PM EST. Please have your entries submitted to me before then! Feel free to discuss your ideas and post GIFs here.

I finally ask, just like Rumia did, that you remain civil and professional in this thread.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Is there a thread or some page or somewhere where the need for this change was discussed/stated? If someone could refer me to it, please and thank you.

I really like hover though, I think it would be a shame for it to go away from vanilla gameplay (excepting Super Sonic of course).

Just for the sake of clarity I want to ask: When Sonic and Metal Sonic receive the changes to their movesets, is it fairly safe to assume that their new movesets will be something from or a variation of something from the SADC and MSADC?

Just for the sake of clarity I want to ask: When Sonic and Metal Sonic receive the changes to their movesets, is it fairly safe to assume that their new movesets will be something from or a variation of something from the SADC and MSADC?

These contests are unofficial, so they could be very different, but you never know...

at the very lest, these contests give us a way to try out possible replacements and give our opinions on them.

And this is where my lack of ability to code comes to bite me in the butt. I got a nice idea that is true to character but I have no way of implementing it.

Gotta learn how to code

And this is where my lack of ability to code comes to bite me in the butt. I got a nice idea that is true to character but I have no way of implementing it.

Gotta learn how to code

Then feel free to share it.

Even if they don't use their idea, it'll at least stimulate discussion, and inspire some.

Last edited:
Then feel free to share it.

Even if they don't use their idea, it'll at least stimulate discussion, and inspire some.

Oh sweet. It basically stems from this move, the V. Maximum Overdrive Attack featured primarily in CD, Generations, and Mania. Obviously, Boost Mode is this attack, but the function that I propose would be quite different.

Metal would achieve Boost Mode the same as he does now, by gaining a ton of speed and charging a spin dash. The VMOA would essentially act like a peelout. Metal can stop and charge it up for a couple of seconds by pressing jump after spin (like Junio Sonic) or pressing spin the air (yes he can charge it in midair) and then blast off, the main difference being that the size of the attack is much larger, more akin to Generations’ version of the move. While Metal can still retain his hover when using regular Boost Mode or just to help out with platforming with the jump button, he can also use the VMOA to travel up and down at high speeds to essentially fly by using jump and spin respectively for up and down movement like Tails.

I can elaborate more on this if anyone’s curious, but I feel like I’ve covered everything about this move

I've had a number of different takes on how VMOA could work in SRB2 in the past in other threads, but the mindset I'm at right now is that it would work something like this:

-Metals Hover is replaced by slow fall instead.

-VMOA replaces spindash. It can be charged while on the ground or in the air.

-When used in the air, VMOA has the same slow fall properties as double jump aside from much more restricted horizontal mobility. When released, Metal zips forward in a straight line, maintaining his current height unless he hits an upward slope, which then puts him into a grounded state and maintains the VMOA.

-When used on the ground, it acts the same as in the air except it remains grounded, allowing him to go down downward slopes.

-VMOA can be jumped out of to be canceled, but momentum is preserved.

-It's very hard to turn left or right while using VMOA, only able to nudge a little bit in either direction.

-Hitting a wall while in VMOA causes Metal Sonic to bounce off, maintaining the VMOA but being forced into a new direction based on the angle he hit the wall at. This can be done three times, then the fourth collision causes metal to get knocked back as if he took a hit, but without losing his shield/rings.

-VMOA can plow through most enemies that would normally cause other characters damage or that have a shield and can destroy spikes. It can also go under tight spaces.

-Metal has a power meter that determines his abilities, including VMOA. Going fast while not in VMOA charges the meter. If there's no charged meter, VMOA cannot be charged.

-Being underwater, in a vacuum, or standing on lava all drain the meter at different speeds, with water draining the slowest and lava draining the fastest. Metal can breath in water or in a vacuum as long as he has meter, and can stand on lava without taking a hit. This overall amounts to keeping up speed to survive as long as possible, with breathing underwater or in space being potentially infinite as long as you keep going fast. Going fast can prolong taking a hit on lava for a few seconds, but the meter will quickly drain so this can't be done for long at all.

-Going Super gives Metal infinite meter, a higher jump, and a speed shoes effect, but not full invincibility. VMOA can be used with much better turning mobility. This effectively amounts to invincibility if the player maintains control over Metal and their ring count.

Overall, this would make Metal a challenging but rewarding character to play as. VMOA would replace the hover for keeping your height, but would be committal due to it's speed and lack of turning ability while not Super. Metal's double jump being slow fall instead would still give Metal a safety net from falling hazards without being as abusable as the current hover. Bouncing off walls with VMOA would allow Metal the ability to turn somewhat if the player can bounce off at a favorable angle, determined by skill and level design. The meter would also provide a way for Metal to deal with certain hazards better than his fleshy counterpart so long as he maintains his speed.

I just made an ability for the MSADC (is it too early?) called the Jump Thrust. Basically, you press jump in the air and it puts you into spring state, then when you fall, you can press jump again and go into dashmode. Here's a GIF:

Attachments

• srb20020.gif
    5 MB · Views: 136
It isn't too early, submit via Discord. You have a month to do any bugfixes you wish to then, now.

I can't go on servers that aren't approved by my mum/dad, so can somebody submit it for me? (also give full credit) I can try submitting it for the MB so someone can access those files that way.

I can't go on servers that aren't approved by my mum/dad, so can somebody submit it for me? (also give full credit) I can try submitting it for the MB so someone can access those files that way.

Try submitting it through PMs on the MB.

How do I do that?
t40JXGw.png

Clicking somebody's username brings a menu.
One of the options is to send a Private Message. Click that.

You can't upload attachments on private messages, but you can share a link if you happen to upload the file somewhere first.

t40JXGw.png

Clicking somebody's username brings a menu.
One of the options is to send a Private Message. Click that.

You can't upload attachments on private messages, but you can share a link if you happen to upload the file somewhere first.

Perhaps Google Drive. Embedding images is harder though.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back