May/June 2010 Contest Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lost Paradise Zone - 5/10
Not really sure what to judge this since it's more or less a betatest, but it wasn't terrible for a big map. A group of 4-5 players was able to get relatively decent scores in 5 minutes, though I wouldn't try it in team match. But then, I had more fun with Astray Canopy a couple contests ago. If a Sonic player goes for the SRM in that giant pit, they can't escape.
Yes they can! Don't let go of jump and land directly on the monitor. Then, when you're back up at the correct altitude, you can thok back to land.

It's supposed to be a risk, because you're just begging to be shot into the pit while doing it.

Yes they can! Don't let go of jump and land directly on the monitor. Then, when you're back up at the correct altitude, you can thok back to land.

It's supposed to be a risk, because you're just begging to be shot into the pit while doing it.
Well that's a little less than easily apparent, but not many people have tried to make good use of monitor thokking as level design so I suppose it's clever.

Almost forgot, it's supposed to be like the Mystic Ruins jungle correct?

Last edited:
Well I definitely learned something out of the whole thing; keep it freaking simple! :P

That being said, I will be entering the next contest with a single player map that hopefully looks as good as IAZ, and I will definitely be remembering what to do and what not to do. Of course most of the complaints was due to it being a race map and NOT single player so hopefully I have enough sense to figure it all out.

Also what are deaf rings and how do I enable them?

Last edited:
Diamond Blizzard Zone - 6/10
Very pretty, very much potential, very problematic. It desperately could stand to be shrunk or have some redundant areas cut, and maybe a little better texture variation. Way too much auto ammo (my immedeate thought: Mystic will eat this place up).
Joke review much? In all seriousness, how could there be even more texture variation? There are also no redundant areas to be cut, because every room is necessary in some way. I really don't get why some find this too big, it's around the size of Tidal Palace.

Also what are deaf rings and how do I enable them?

undeafd1.png

Undeaf'd rings.

undeafd2.png

Right-click the ring in SRB2DB and this menu shows. Check this box.

undeafd3.png

Deaf'd rings. Ta-da.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joke review much? In all seriousness, how could there be even more texture variation? There are also no redundant areas to be cut, because every room is necessary in some way. I really don't get why some find this too big, it's around the size of Tidal Palace.
olol he didn't like the map it must be a joke review
most people tend to hang out around the SRM on the hill.
Really? When I tested in my (admitedly small) netgames, I almost only found people on the coast, but never on the hill. I can see your point, though; I did put Scatter and Explosion within easy access of the SRM :/

Well that's a little less than easily apparent, but not many people have tried to make good use of monitor thokking as level design so I suppose it's clever.

Almost forgot, it's supposed to be like the Mystic Ruins jungle correct?

No not really

Except that if you miss the trick, then Sonic's stuck down there with no choice but to suicide. And I don't even think you can do that without any kind of hazard down there. A small platform with a monitor over a death pit might be a little bit more effective for his purposes.

Except that if you miss the trick, then Sonic's stuck down there with no choice but to suicide. And I don't even think you can do that without any kind of hazard down there. A small platform with a monitor over a death pit might be a little bit more effective for his purposes.
I'm not sure what you mean anymore. What I have right now is a small platform in the middle of a death pit with a monitor on it. You're supposed to bounce on the monitor and return to the higher cliff, without landing on the platform itself.

If the platform and monitor weren't there, you'd die however you fell into the pit. Should I have just placed the monitor right on the pit itself? I wanted to avoid any kind of possible collision errors (dying even though you hit the monitor), thanks.

Maybe we're talking about different areas? I'm talking about the hole in the floor which leads to an open room with no way out except to change skin. I wasted a good minute or so looking for a spring in that room so if there IS a way out, its hidden.

...There's a set of stairs off to the side :|

We were talking about the monitor in the waterfall cave.

EDIT: The only skin-exclusive location is the frozen alcove in the waterfall cave, Sonic can't reach it. It was supposed to lead into the temple area, but I ran out of time (same reason why the cave exit in the temple area is a carbon copy of the forest exit).

Last edited:
In all seriousness, how could there be even more texture variation?
Fine, color variation - it can be confusing when every room uses the same textures. And when a group of 4-5 is having trouble scoring despite the amount of bounce/auto ammo, there is probably a layout problem.

Last edited:
Well, in my test netgames, no one had trouble scoring, even when we were with just 3 or 4 people. So I dunno what happened there, but as SpiritCrusher said, the level is comparable to Tidal Palace in terms of size, and I have never heard any size complaints about that stage.
Also, color variation is kind of impossible to do in ice stages without it looking ugly. As for texture variation, most of the building time was spent choosing textures that looked decent, and there's not a whole lot of ice textures either. Okay, I admit that the outside areas could've looked better, but most of the level is indoors anyway.

However, I do agree with your other complaint, I really need to put less auto and bounce ammo in stages.
And thank you for being the only one who has actually given me a decent amount of criticism on Diamond Blizzard.

Diamond Blizzard didn't have trouble with size per se, it had trouble with the use of its size. There's a lot of (too many?) nooks and crannies the players never go to and as such are useless clutter.

Then again, look who's talking. lol

Checking the levels out.

---------- Post added at 07:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 AM ----------

Metropolis Sprint: 7/10 I loved the textures from grand eggship and eggrock used very well. I can't really think of anything else but make the conveyor a little faster each time eggman is hit making it difficult to keep track each time to defeat him.

Hey, sorry about being late for ending contest judging, I've had a pretty bad headache the past few days. I'll get the votes calculated some time either tomorrow or Sunday; I just haven't been in the mood to mess with Excel lately.

New level spoiler:
It's my first progress on it in case you'd like to see it.
Yes, I know it's way too early to post this.
And it's now officially in my signature in case something happens to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you should try posting that in the Discussion topic
Yeah, that's probably a good idea.

the beginning looks extremely empty.
I know. I'm just kinda working with the concept for now, it'll be a lot less empty when it's done of course.

It also looks extremely flat.
There will also be a lot more features before I'm done with it. Specifically, I plan to have something in the factory-ish part. What that is I don't yet know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back