Magic Metal Sonic

Magic Metal Sonic v2.0.1

BuggieTheBug submitted a new resource:

Magic Metal Sonic - This makes no sense.

The Magic Metal Sonic is here!
*insert high quality recolored metal sonic CSS art here*

He has a weird moveset so i recommend reading this spoiler.
Magic Switch: Press 1-7 or Weapon Next/Prev to switch magic.
View attachment 56306

Jump Magic: Double Jump to use your Jump Magic!
(Changes depending on Magic)
View attachment 56307

Spin Magic: Press Spin to use your Spin Magic!
(Changes...

Read more about this resource...

There's some cool stuff going on in here. I will admit, having more context on what each ability does when active on the release post would help this mod out as well as how to replenish your magic (by the way, for anyone reading this post, it's collecting rings). From what I played with and messed around with in Greenflower, this is genuinely a cool concept. Welcome to releases!

I think you should add a sound to indicate you switched Magic types. It's small, but extra details like these tends to help.
There's a lot of weird control quirks with this. If I'm on Fire magic (1) and I press 3 to switch to Water, it just switches to default and I have to press 3 a second time. I kinda expect to go back to default if I hit 1 while already on fire magic, but having to hit 3 twice to switch to water feels off.

You seem to be able to use spin-magic whenever you want. Like, whenever you want. Including when you're stunned. With default magic's energy blast, you can get right out of the stun-state easily.
Also, both shield abilities and spin-magic activate when you have a shield, leading to oddities like trying to use the magnetic shield's homing ability only to have default-spin-magic make you stop spinning, getting you hit. Might be a good idea to disable shield abilities with this character.
Finally, momentum is not adjusted underwater. It's a common thing I notice, but it leads to stuff like the default spin spell letting you swim upward or going faster than expected with the ice dash.

Finally, I typed out a lot of stuff regarding individual spells. Like, a lot.

The default abilities are already pretty strong, mostly because you can chain the double jump with the energy blast to gain LOTS of height, and using the energy blast lets you use the double-jump no matter what state you were in previously. Not using any magic is a bonus. Somehow, the second most powerful set of spells.
Fire is fine. A straightforward long-ranged projectile and a close-range fire spin, though the smaller fireballs in the double-jump ability gives you no points. Maybe change the sound for the double-jump spell to the fire shield one?
Not sure how to use the small ice blocks. They don't hurt anything, and they break so fast. I guess using them as cover for projectiles is what you use them for, but they are so small that some projectiles can just go around them.
I feel like the water spell's greatest asset is the passive underwater breathing, though when I used it after the drowning music played, it kinda stopped the music. The bubble projectile and the bounce are a little underwhelming in practice, though the projectile trapping enemies is unique.
The quicker you use the wind jump, the farther you go, as it stacks with vertical momentum. Maybe there should be an upward speed cap. Also, if you're falling fast enough, it just kinda slows your fall a bit, which is underwhelming considering the standard no-cost spin-spell energy blast exists. Finally, not having the ability to use this particular jump-spell in the air multiple times just makes the next jump-spell feel more absurdly powerful. And while I think having the second wind-spell just put you into a spinning state is fine enough on the ground(and even necessary for getting past certain parts of certain stages), I think making Magic Metal Sonic lighter when it's used in midair for a while would be more interesting.
The jumping bomb spell is by far MMS's most powerful spell. You go higher up the faster you were falling beforehand, and you can use it multiple times in the air. Combining that with the ability to just switch back to default between bomb-jumps and you have a character that can fly forever. Neither bomb spell breaks what Amy's hammer could break, though, and without being able to spin-dash either I got stuck in Deep Sea Zone act 2. Maybe make these cost more MP? Maybe make it deal 2 damage to bosses as well? I mean, they use the Armageddon shield icon, and that shield outright goes away from using it because its ability is so powerful, so perhaps these spells should be high-cost high-power to keep the Armageddon theme.
The magnetic spin-spell is funny to me. You just kinda push away anything close to you, unless there's nothing close to you, in which case you fire an electric ball.
Finally, the lightning spells feel backwards to me. I almost feel like the quick-dash should be on jump and the lightning bolts should be on spin. I also don't like how double-jumping without an enemy in range makes you dash forwards, especially since the Magnetic jump-spell is already an air-dash + homing attack combo.

Magic Is One Thing I Personally Don't Like I Like Technology
We Need To Advance Not Use Folktales

well i was gonna make a alt metal sonic but u beated me to it!
still pretty good mod though

I think you should add a sound to indicate you switched Magic types. It's small, but extra details like these tends to help.
There's a lot of weird control quirks with this. If I'm on Fire magic (1) and I press 3 to switch to Water, it just switches to default and I have to press 3 a second time. I kinda expect to go back to default if I hit 1 while already on fire magic, but having to hit 3 twice to switch to water feels off.

You seem to be able to use spin-magic whenever you want. Like, whenever you want. Including when you're stunned. With default magic's energy blast, you can get right out of the stun-state easily.
Also, both shield abilities and spin-magic activate when you have a shield, leading to oddities like trying to use the magnetic shield's homing ability only to have default-spin-magic make you stop spinning, getting you hit. Might be a good idea to disable shield abilities with this character.
Finally, momentum is not adjusted underwater. It's a common thing I notice, but it leads to stuff like the default spin spell letting you swim upward or going faster than expected with the ice dash.

Finally, I typed out a lot of stuff regarding individual spells. Like, a lot.

The default abilities are already pretty strong, mostly because you can chain the double jump with the energy blast to gain LOTS of height, and using the energy blast lets you use the double-jump no matter what state you were in previously. Not using any magic is a bonus. Somehow, the second most powerful set of spells.
Fire is fine. A straightforward long-ranged projectile and a close-range fire spin, though the smaller fireballs in the double-jump ability gives you no points. Maybe change the sound for the double-jump spell to the fire shield one?
Not sure how to use the small ice blocks. They don't hurt anything, and they break so fast. I guess using them as cover for projectiles is what you use them for, but they are so small that some projectiles can just go around them.
I feel like the water spell's greatest asset is the passive underwater breathing, though when I used it after the drowning music played, it kinda stopped the music. The bubble projectile and the bounce are a little underwhelming in practice, though the projectile trapping enemies is unique.
The quicker you use the wind jump, the farther you go, as it stacks with vertical momentum. Maybe there should be an upward speed cap. Also, if you're falling fast enough, it just kinda slows your fall a bit, which is underwhelming considering the standard no-cost spin-spell energy blast exists. Finally, not having the ability to use this particular jump-spell in the air multiple times just makes the next jump-spell feel more absurdly powerful. And while I think having the second wind-spell just put you into a spinning state is fine enough on the ground(and even necessary for getting past certain parts of certain stages), I think making Magic Metal Sonic lighter when it's used in midair for a while would be more interesting.
The jumping bomb spell is by far MMS's most powerful spell. You go higher up the faster you were falling beforehand, and you can use it multiple times in the air. Combining that with the ability to just switch back to default between bomb-jumps and you have a character that can fly forever. Neither bomb spell breaks what Amy's hammer could break, though, and without being able to spin-dash either I got stuck in Deep Sea Zone act 2. Maybe make these cost more MP? Maybe make it deal 2 damage to bosses as well? I mean, they use the Armageddon shield icon, and that shield outright goes away from using it because its ability is so powerful, so perhaps these spells should be high-cost high-power to keep the Armageddon theme.
The magnetic spin-spell is funny to me. You just kinda push away anything close to you, unless there's nothing close to you, in which case you fire an electric ball.
Finally, the lightning spells feel backwards to me. I almost feel like the quick-dash should be on jump and the lightning bolts should be on spin. I also don't like how double-jumping without an enemy in range makes you dash forwards, especially since the Magnetic jump-spell is already an air-dash + homing attack combo.
I was actually going to mention all these bugs lol, but yeah these were the bugs I encountered.

The Ice Blocks is some sort of platform you can use, but it... Doesn't give you that much height. I was thinking that it could sorta work like the Ice Wall from Megaman & Bass, being slighty taller and wider while also being able to be pushed and something you can actually stand on... So effectively, a better version of what it is already.

The Aero-Jump spell does have funky bugs, but with different ways: Even after you've used the jump spell entirely or partially, Magic, despite not being in a spin state, can still land on (Or launch towards) enemies as if he was in a spin state. Also, using the jump state only briefly and then landing on the ground puts you in, what I would refer to as a "Super Jump state". Basically, if you stop the wind spell as soon as you use it (Or midway through), then... Well I may not be a coder at all, but the game seems to think you're still "Using" the jump spell. This replaces your normal jump with the Aero-Jump (Aka Wind's jump spell), and if that doesn't sound funny enough... You can still use another wind jump mid-air, giving you more height (Mind you, the wind jump replacing the normal jump gives you way more height than using it normally would do). Alternatively in this state, you can use other jump spells instead of the second wind jump. If you've mastered this, it ends up becoming your most powerful tool. (I feel like the two gifs I'll be posting will help a lot.
srb20008.gif
srb20001.gif

Regarding the wall problems, Thunder's spin spell doesn't break it either, and it's a bit inconsistent for me... It either allows Magic to slide under the spindash holes, or it just doesn't... At all. Also, it's only brief... But if you're on the ground, then Magic can jump during Thunder's spin state. I said "Brief" because the jump doesn't do much and it seems to only be a split second, but I did managed to catch a gif of it. It also seems to follow Kirby's Fireball ability where hitting a spring while using the ability seems to stop all momentum that the spring gives.
srb20006.gif
srb20013.gif

Lastly, his Normal Jump actually stops all falling momentum... You fall too fast? Use the normal jump spell, it'll stop all movements.
srb20012.gif

Also, Water's Jump Spell sucks, especially because it doesn't have the stomp ability, which makes using the ability redundant unless you're using it to gain height boosts as soon as you hit the ground while using the ability like you usually would gain from jumping on badniks.

I personally would change some stuffs: Mainly removing Magic's spin ability (Aka making him more grounded like Amy and Fang), because it's not like he needs it when he has all these spells, one of them already being able to fling him pretty high in the air. Of course this means changing some spells, and I think I have a couple ideas for them...

Fire Jump Spell: It would be more similar to the Jump Dash, specifically from the Advance series. Basically giving Magic a huge burst of speed while burning anything in his path much like the fire shield.

Ice Jump Spell: The Ice Surf would be replaced with the Ice Stomp, which is exactly what it says: Magic jumps down to the ground, crashing into it and releasing a burst of cold wind (Or shockwave, depending on how you portray it as) that freezes nearby enemies. Although the ice surf is useful, I thought he needed something that would help him get down to the ground easier and deal with situations that involve having to fight off a lot of enemies.

Water Jump Spell: Magic summons a bubble shield. Although it functions similar to what it is right now, it lasts around 5 seconds and also allows Magic to bounce off of walls, ceilings and floors. As a bonus, it could reflect projectiles like how the shields would in Sonic 3.

Wind Jump Spell: Make it a normal double jump that launches you up twice your normal jump height, generating a gust of wind that pushes any nearby enemies.

Magnet Spells: I'd have the spin spell pull in enemies rather than pushing them, because Magic is using... Well, a magnet, pulls stuffs in. His jump state would make him suspended in the air, being able to float around all Magneto style... Yknow, like a 3 second version of Metal's double jump.

Of course I don't really expect all this to be added, just spit balling some ideas.

Some small nitpick (I apologise-), Magic shares the same exact color scheme as metal. Meaning that if you change his skin color to blue, he would look just like Metal with sparkles... I feel like giving him shields depending on the magic he changes to would help (More of a visual thing, so the shields are just there and don't actually give you extra defense), and maybe make him glow a bit to differentiate from Metal's color scheme.

Since there's a total of seven magics, I feel like it'd be a bit more rewarding if he gets more magic the more emeralds he (Or the server if you're playing on Multiplayer) has rather than having them from the get-go... Sorta like Samus. His super form would alternate between colors and allow him to use Chaos Magic; Aside from using rings as cost for the magic instead of mana, the jump spell would allow Magic to teleport around like Shadow. His spin spell would be releasing a burst of chaotic forcefield from his body, reflecting away any projectiles and destroying any enemies closeby.

That being said, he is a pretty fun character and does remind me of both Metallic Madness (Which follows a similar gameplay mechanic with Sonic having elemental forms) and Chrono Adventure (Where Sonic can switch between items he finds throughout the game). Turns out, both Wind and Magnet became my favourite spell, the latter because now I can push players around... Mostly if they're AFK.

First criticism here, hope it's not too bad to the creator-

I was actually going to mention all these bugs lol, but yeah these were the bugs I encountered.

The Ice Blocks is some sort of platform you can use, but it... Doesn't give you that much height. I was thinking that it could sorta work like the Ice Wall from Megaman & Bass, being slighty taller and wider while also being able to be pushed and something you can actually stand on... So effectively, a better version of what it is already.

The Aero-Jump spell does have funky bugs, but with different ways: Even after you've used the jump spell entirely or partially, Magic, despite not being in a spin state, can still land on (Or launch towards) enemies as if he was in a spin state. Also, using the jump state only briefly and then landing on the ground puts you in, what I would refer to as a "Super Jump state". Basically, if you stop the wind spell as soon as you use it (Or midway through), then... Well I may not be a coder at all, but the game seems to think you're still "Using" the jump spell. This replaces your normal jump with the Aero-Jump (Aka Wind's jump spell), and if that doesn't sound funny enough... You can still use another wind jump mid-air, giving you more height (Mind you, the wind jump replacing the normal jump gives you way more height than using it normally would do). Alternatively in this state, you can use other jump spells instead of the second wind jump. If you've mastered this, it ends up becoming your most powerful tool. (I feel like the two gifs I'll be posting will help a lot.
View attachment 56340 View attachment 56341

Regarding the wall problems, Thunder's spin spell doesn't break it either, and it's a bit inconsistent for me... It either allows Magic to slide under the spindash holes, or it just doesn't... At all. Also, it's only brief... But if you're on the ground, then Magic can jump during Thunder's spin state. I said "Brief" because the jump doesn't do much and it seems to only be a split second, but I did managed to catch a gif of it. It also seems to follow Kirby's Fireball ability where hitting a spring while using the ability seems to stop all momentum that the spring gives.
View attachment 56342View attachment 56343

Lastly, his Normal Jump actually stops all falling momentum... You fall too fast? Use the normal jump spell, it'll stop all movements.
View attachment 56344

Also, Water's Jump Spell sucks, especially because it doesn't have the stomp ability, which makes using the ability redundant unless you're using it to gain height boosts as soon as you hit the ground while using the ability like you usually would gain from jumping on badniks.

I personally would change some stuffs: Mainly removing Magic's spin ability (Aka making him more grounded like Amy and Fang), because it's not like he needs it when he has all these spells, one of them already being able to fling him pretty high in the air. Of course this means changing some spells, and I think I have a couple ideas for them...

Fire Jump Spell: It would be more similar to the Jump Dash, specifically from the Advance series. Basically giving Magic a huge burst of speed while burning anything in his path much like the fire shield.

Ice Jump Spell: The Ice Surf would be replaced with the Ice Stomp, which is exactly what it says: Magic jumps down to the ground, crashing into it and releasing a burst of cold wind (Or shockwave, depending on how you portray it as) that freezes nearby enemies. Although the ice surf is useful, I thought he needed something that would help him get down to the ground easier and deal with situations that involve having to fight off a lot of enemies.

Water Jump Spell: Magic summons a bubble shield. Although it functions similar to what it is right now, it lasts around 5 seconds and also allows Magic to bounce off of walls, ceilings and floors. As a bonus, it could reflect projectiles like how the shields would in Sonic 3.

Wind Jump Spell: Make it a normal double jump that launches you up twice your normal jump height, generating a gust of wind that pushes any nearby enemies.

Magnet Spells: I'd have the spin spell pull in enemies rather than pushing them, because Magic is using... Well, a magnet, pulls stuffs in. His jump state would make him suspended in the air, being able to float around all Magneto style... Yknow, like a 3 second version of Metal's double jump.

Of course I don't really expect all this to be added, just spit balling some ideas.

Some small nitpick (I apologise-), Magic shares the same exact color scheme as metal. Meaning that if you change his skin color to blue, he would look just like Metal with sparkles... I feel like giving him shields depending on the magic he changes to would help (More of a visual thing, so the shields are just there and don't actually give you extra defense), and maybe make him glow a bit to differentiate from Metal's color scheme.

Since there's a total of seven magics, I feel like it'd be a bit more rewarding if he gets more magic the more emeralds he (Or the server if you're playing on Multiplayer) has rather than having them from the get-go... Sorta like Samus. His super form would alternate between colors and allow him to use Chaos Magic; Aside from using rings as cost for the magic instead of mana, the jump spell would allow Magic to teleport around like Shadow. His spin spell would be releasing a burst of chaotic forcefield from his body, reflecting away any projectiles and destroying any enemies closeby.

That being said, he is a pretty fun character and does remind me of both Metallic Madness (Which follows a similar gameplay mechanic with Sonic having elemental forms) and Chrono Adventure (Where Sonic can switch between items he finds throughout the game). Turns out, both Wind and Magnet became my favourite spell, the latter because now I can push players around... Mostly if they're AFK.

First criticism here, hope it's not too bad to the creator-
Woah that's a long one. But when I'm gonna be home Imma start update.
Post automatically merged:

Ok so i made him be Transparent(just added blendmode lol)
srb20200.gif

Would it lag?(For me it doesnt)
srb20211.gif

Ok i`m gonna go test the v1.0.1

Last edited:
Maybe you could move the two different magic attacks to custom 1 and 2? On top of that, i feel like he should keep his dashmode.

I have found a bug for some reason i cannot switch to other magic. Hopefully you can fix this.

Pressing prev weapon and next weapon don't change it and on computer pressing 1-7 only changed it for a split second before changing back to normal for me

Pressing prev weapon and next weapon don't change it and on computer pressing 1-7 only changed it for a split second before changing back to normal for me
you need emeralds to get abilitys

I have no idea why but whenever I turn MMS on, his magic always defaults to magic 1 and I'm unable to change it for whatever reason. Do you know what could be causing the issue?

EDIT: Found out you needed the chaos emeralds just to get the magic abilities. Nothing in the game tells you this is required though so I genuinely thought this was a bug because when I pressed the number keys, I could see split-second icon flickering. :worry:

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back