LOGMAPS

LOGMAPS V1

Mr.Logan

loggers dude
Mr.Logan submitted a new resource:

LOGMAPS - log maps for logger people!

View attachment 129179
Introducing: LOG MAPS!
Hi, Mr.Logan here. Its been a long time since I've posted any kind of updates here on the MB huh? I think many of you are familiar with my previous work that I have made back when SRB2K was popular. I'm glad the enthusiasm for some of those maps are still there, so I was inspired to keep cooking in secret for these last 2 years or so. Hopefully...​

Read more about this resource...

Chemical Chateau is certainly a pretty map. You've done a very good job in terms of making a faithful take on it.

There's a few points of feedback I'd like to give from some small experience in netgames as well as drivearounds:

The map's pillars are not solid for most of the level until the path split. Having the rule change on the player midway through the map when they thought they were safe on a corner doesn't feel good to drive on.

I'd personally say keep them all consistent, whether it's solid for visual consistency, or transparent so the walls can be flush.

The map's directionals occasionally blend into the rest of the level, or are absent when they're honestly needed. Several of the turns in this level feel like they lack sufficient directioning, especially on siteread.

ringracers0008.png
ringracers0009.png

In a situation like this first screenshot, the chevrons work because it's a cool color against a warm background and relatively close to the play area. Not so much in this second screenshot; they're far away and the player's eyes are going to generally be on the road ahead. Once they're up at the turn, these are not within the main view.

Two examples of turns that I think could use arrows are below. The second of these feels like it'd help out a lot in particular.
ringracers0041.png
ringracers0045.png

I would say utilize Ark Arrows where necessary as well, especially for the u-turns.

I think most of the shortcuts in the level are either too weak or not at the right position to make the best impact.
ringracers0042.png

The early shortcuts in this level are next to each other; one is after a trick panel which already puts the player into a charge state or lets them Voltage Drop, so the amount of actual gain from it is marginal.

The next shortcut is in the middle of a cycle hazard - so a player can attempt it with a sneaker and get hurt, causing them to bounce off of the tripwire. I get the intent, but I think the shortcut should be away from the spikeballs.

There are two shortcuts at the end after the last item set - the first is so close to the first item set that the player often has to panic mash to get an item to use it, though it doesn't save a huge amount of time. The final shortcut is quite strong, however, and I don't really know if it needs to be present due to it being an end of lap shortcut.

There are no shortcuts present between the spikeballs and the final two near the end, and as a result the map is honestly pretty hard to play the catchup game (something that I think the original Toxic Palace had a problem with, IMO). I think the level could use some kind of shortcut midway to help players out, maybe skipping one of the u-turns?

Also here's this stray missing texture I saw, small thing but it's there.
ringracers0046.png

Looking forward to your future work nonetheless! This is quite promising.

Chemical Chateau is certainly a pretty map. You've done a very good job in terms of making a faithful take on it.

There's a few points of feedback I'd like to give from some small experience in netgames as well as drivearounds:

The map's pillars are not solid for most of the level until the path split. Having the rule change on the player midway through the map when they thought they were safe on a corner doesn't feel good to drive on.

I'd personally say keep them all consistent, whether it's solid for visual consistency, or transparent so the walls can be flush.

The map's directionals occasionally blend into the rest of the level, or are absent when they're honestly needed. Several of the turns in this level feel like they lack sufficient directioning, especially on siteread.

View attachment 130969View attachment 130970
In a situation like this first screenshot, the chevrons work because it's a cool color against a warm background and relatively close to the play area. Not so much in this second screenshot; they're far away and the player's eyes are going to generally be on the road ahead. Once they're up at the turn, these are not within the main view.

Two examples of turns that I think could use arrows are below. The second of these feels like it'd help out a lot in particular.
View attachment 130971View attachment 130972

I would say utilize Ark Arrows where necessary as well, especially for the u-turns.

I think most of the shortcuts in the level are either too weak or not at the right position to make the best impact.
View attachment 130975
The early shortcuts in this level are next to each other; one is after a trick panel which already puts the player into a charge state or lets them Voltage Drop, so the amount of actual gain from it is marginal.

The next shortcut is in the middle of a cycle hazard - so a player can attempt it with a sneaker and get hurt, causing them to bounce off of the tripwire. I get the intent, but I think the shortcut should be away from the spikeballs.

There are two shortcuts at the end after the last item set - the first is so close to the first item set that the player often has to panic mash to get an item to use it, though it doesn't save a huge amount of time. The final shortcut is quite strong, however, and I don't really know if it needs to be present due to it being an end of lap shortcut.

There are no shortcuts present between the spikeballs and the final two near the end, and as a result the map is honestly pretty hard to play the catchup game (something that I think the original Toxic Palace had a problem with, IMO). I think the level could use some kind of shortcut midway to help players out, maybe skipping one of the u-turns?

Also here's this stray missing texture I saw, small thing but it's there.
View attachment 130974

Looking forward to your future work nonetheless! This is quite promising.
Thanks for the feedback Gunla! I do think all of this information is valid, especially issues in regards to the latter half of the map. Im generally just thinking about redoing the final section of the map since that is the area with most of the issues described here as well as how it generally feels to play is kind of awful (at least in my opinion.) As for the issues with shortcuts, ive been work-shopping some ways to be able to alleviate those issues; ive been talking with some of the ripple realm crew to come up with solutions for shortcuts as well.

If theres any more feedback, feel free to let me know, im always available to discuss ways to improve!

Back