• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Logan McCloud's WIP Thread

It's no problem! These are fair questions. Little history before the answer:

When I released the 2.1 pack I released it unfinished. Notably, the initial release didn't have Knuckles, instead it had a placeholder as a joke. However, after I updated it to include the proper model, people still thought Knuckles wasn't in it. And I got burnt out updating the pack and adding the missing models. I didn't like working in the old style either since it didn't match what I *actually* wanted from the model pack.

I want to finish every vanilla model I plan to make before I release it. Mod characters might get added with updates, but I also want to do the mod characters I care about most for the initial release, in case I get burnt out again. After I finish the model pack I also have to put more focus into Sonic Utopia, which I'm a key dev and the lead animator on. Having this pack be in the background while I work on that has slowed down production of *both*.
Utopia?! Man, that game was good.

So I'm guessing that after you finish the badniks, the vanilla cast is next?

Oh wait, I am missing something....
The bosses!

Also if you ever do mario and luigi, the only thing I have to say is "Good God, I hope you make it through that"

Utopia?! Man, that game was good.

So I'm guessing that after you finish the badniks, the vanilla cast is next?

Oh wait, I am missing something....
The bosses!
Yeah I'm pretty excited for it! Can't wait to be able to show off more of it.

Anyway, yeah the rest of the vanilla cast and bosses are next.

Progress for the day: Pyre Fly is done!!
srb20294.png
blender_2023-04-08_19-42-18.png
blender_2023-04-08_19-42-31.png

This badnik was tricky, not because it was hard to texture, but because I, unfortunately, needed to duplicate it in order to get the flashing to work. IF SRB2 allowed for animated textures this would be easier and less wasteful, but it doesn't so I had to do the brute force method. Fortunately, the badnik always faces the player so I was able to remove a lot of geometry the player will never see, which helped reduce the polycount. It's still the heaviest enemy in the game, though.

Wait, the pyrefly is the heaviest enemy in the pack? I thought it was the knight, oh well it still looks good, also, the enemies that didn't get their sprites updated in 2.2 keep their old sprite style Or did they get a revamped look to fit with the rest?

Wait, the pyrefly is the heaviest enemy in the pack? I thought it was the knight, oh well it still looks good, also, the enemies that didn't get their sprites updated in 2.2 keep their old sprite style Or did they get a revamped look to fit with the rest?
Would you believe the Knight is actually about *half* the polycount of the Pyre Fly? Most of the models in the pack are fairly low poly and most enemies are lower poly than the Knight. It's just the Pyre fly has issues with it being duplicated for it's animations.
1681009490082.png
1681009513984.png

Anyway, the final enemy I have to texture is Pterabyte:
blender_2023-04-08_19-58-09.png

Once I finish this enemy, I'll have modeled 40 enemies (not including recolored variants).

Yeah I'm pretty excited for it! Can't wait to be able to show off more of it.

Anyway, yeah the rest of the vanilla cast and bosses are next.

Progress for the day: Pyre Fly is done!!
View attachment 89134View attachment 89136View attachment 89135

This badnik was tricky, not because it was hard to texture, but because I, unfortunately, needed to duplicate it in order to get the flashing to work. IF SRB2 allowed for animated textures this would be easier and less wasteful, but it doesn't so I had to do the brute force method. Fortunately, the badnik always faces the player so I was able to remove a lot of geometry the player will never see, which helped reduce the polycount. It's still the heaviest enemy in the game, though.
Which one would you say is harder or more complicated to do? ( I don't think bosses would be hard cause there is like what? 7 bosses?)

Cause I would suggest doing that one first, so the easy part is left for last.

Y'know to make it easier for ya. 😁

After those are done, what is left to do?

One question, did you make models for the shields?
Yes! Sort of!
The standard green shield is modeled and textured. The rest of the shields are just a model that read from the sprite data. This way if you load shield graphics replacements the shield model should use those sprites instead. Saves on texture memory too.

Also I finished Pterabyte last night:
blender_2023-04-12_03-26-39.png
blender_2023-04-12_03-26-14.png

This means I have now finished every single enemy in the game, which is something the original model pack didn't accomplish.

What remains:
-Remaining vanilla cast
-Bosses (once I finish Eggman and the base Eggmobile this will be easier)
-A few misc things like the Castle Eggman statue and the small animals

Yes! Sort of!
The standard green shield is modeled and textured. The rest of the shields are just a model that read from the sprite data. This way if you load shield graphics replacements the shield model should use those sprites instead. Saves on texture memory too.

View attachment 89287View attachment 89288

This means I have now finished every single enemy in the game, which is something the original model pack didn't accomplish.

What remains:
-Remaining vanilla cast
Yes! Sort of!

What remains:
-Remaining vanilla cast
Doesn't seem that bad.

Yes! Sort of!

What remains:
-Remaining vanilla cast

You mean the eggman statue, the crawla statue, or the Lance-a-bot statue?
I'm guessing Eggman as the other to can pretty much be retextures.

Hey Logan, did you revamp the enemies that didn't get resprited for 2.2, or did you give them consistency with the pack?

Hey Logan, did you revamp the enemies that didn't get resprited for 2.2, or did you give them consistency with the pack?
Depends on the enemy. I kept the actual *designs* the same but chose to apply better shading here and there to certain enemies that I felt were especially crusty.

Here's how I handled most of those cases:

blender_2023-04-12_15-29-01.png
blender_2023-04-12_15-31-23.png
blender_2023-04-12_15-29-28.png
blender_2023-04-12_15-31-48.png
blender_2023-04-12_15-33-56.png
blender_2023-04-12_15-34-55.png

I think the pop-up turret and Jet Jaw are my favorites out of these 6.

Good to see you around Logan. Hope working on the model pack hasn't been too stressful. I've always been a fan of your low-poly models and I'm excited for the 2.2 release :)
Question: Will this version come with a WAD/PK3 for animated textures, like the 2.1 pack, or is it just a model pack by itself?

Good to see you around Logan. Hope working on the model pack hasn't been too stressful. I've always been a fan of your low-poly models and I'm excited for the 2.2 release :)
Question: Will this version come with a WAD/PK3 for animated textures, like the 2.1 pack, or is it just a model pack by itself?
Thank you! And excellent question.

No wad/pk3 this time.
As much as I'd love to have animated textures (this would let me do so many cool things tbh), the wad caused a lot of issues for the 2.1 release. People had a hard time getting it working, it caused issues with saves and multiplayer, and some people had significant memory issues because of how I had to structure the wad. Since I want the new pack to be much easier to use, I'm ditching the wad.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back