Little lesson on socs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slash

There are many things i still need to learn about socs...

>>Can you bind keys to activating socs {meaning}
(lets say i wish to mimic ringslinger or another key with a bind key-
-like if H is pressed i could spawn a unused 245 - MT_FREESLOT01)

Im not new to this im just not as advanced as others when it comes to socs.

Also im not trying to chaos spawn, spawn a unused thing in the place of Painstate Raise state or anything. I simply want to how how to bind
keys to spawning unused things near of possibly the exact location
of MT_PLAYER using bind.

Due to my all methods of getting XWE to work on my computer failing...

I am trapped using socedit - so is there like some more advanced tutorial
other than whats on the wiki?

I'm wondering a bout the advanced tutioral too, but for reasons only known at this point as DrillaKilla.

To do the bind thing, put the SOC in some WAD.(you'll need a lump editor, and seeing as XWE doesn't work on your computer, you'll have to go lookc for some other one) (Also, make sure the lumpname isn't MAINCFG) Then, run a script on level load(You can find more about that on the Wiki's level header page) that has the following:
Code:
BIND H RUNSOC [insert the lumpname you chose]

Kaysakado said:
To do the bind thing, put the SOC in some WAD.(you'll need a lump editor, and seeing as XWE doesn't work on your computer, you'll have to go lookc for some other one) (Also, make sure the lumpname isn't MAINCFG) Then, run a script on level load(You can find more about that on the Wiki's level header page) that has the following:
Code:
BIND H RUNSOC [insert the lumpname you chose]

i completely understand this and i have done this before but thats not the issue....
im trying to make it so that while the soc is "ACTIVATED" i could bind a key to (H) to spawning a object near the player

glaber said:
I'm wondering a bout the advanced tutioral too, but for reasons only known at this point as DrillaKilla.
Explain this sentence, it doesent make sense to me...

It means that he is hoping for an advanced soc tutorial too because he is having trouble with making a custom enemy for the Christmas Revival wad.

well about that...

Well if you want i could make it for you, no prob.

Dunno bout the sprites but i could make it.

Just pm me the abilities it has...
weather it flies or not,
ect.

I need a complete description of it

PM please

Not totally following this exchange of dialouge, but in response to the first question of the topic, can't be done. Binds are scripts, SOCs are SOCs. The most you can do to a SOC with a script is use RUNSOC to... run a SOC, on the fly.

You could also use SOCs to A_LinedefExecute a Run Script Linedef Executor, if you wanted your things to run scripts. Of course, you'd need to design a level to go with that...

Ok thanks for the info
and after going over and over the wiki i have learned somthings that might help me but along side that.

Then i came apon disabling\Canceling out socs?

Like i add a soc *Abc.soc* with thing 245 used
but then i add a soc *Def.soc* also using thing 245 - i have notaced that this will cancel the other one out.

>>Another perspective<<

bind Q runsoc Abc.soc
Bind W runsoc Def.soc

So that you can constantly switch between them?
(i figure doing this will allow me to create characters with multi abilities)
(letting you simply change abilities on the go)

But i realized somethings.First this will be limited only to working on single player mode and will require having the socs just to workand,in multiplayer games, only the server and a admins will have the ability to add socs and such and since socs effect the whole game it will also efect all the players and not only be limited to just the person using it....
Is there a way to side step all that and alter the ability of only one player ,while running socs in a multi-player game?

FuriousFox said:
You could also use SOCs to A_LinedefExecute a Run Script Linedef Executor, if you wanted your things to run scripts. Of course, you'd need to design a level to go with that...
Alternatively, use aliases. They look a little like this:
Code:
bind 9 ohaythar
alias ohaythar "name person; color orange; wait 15; say hi"
And pressing 9 changes your name to "person", sets you as orange, and says hi for you, all in one button! Neat, huh?

Srsly?
im not retarted or new to srb2 i already know that stuff
im not askin simple ordinary questions so far

im askin things that i dont know and need to find out
and plus the whole alias - bind thing , you woulda realized that if you payed attention to my post

what im trying to figure out to do is

bind a key to SPAWNING objects,And or acting as a control button
BTW- how and what does taunt do? - can it be used to spawn objects?

anything else will be useless for the moment

Go play JTE.wad, zim.wad or any other crappy wad with taunts. Press the taunt key. You'll taunt, which plays a sound.

Noobs spam this. Reaaaal annoyying.

Can't spawn items though.-

Its about time you joined this discussion I'll begin.

So your saying i'll have to just make do with nothing...
nah im not givin up that easly...

i'll figure somthing out

Congradulations Slash, you've discovered the principle behind my inventory Script/SOC thingy.

You've also discovered the obvious flaw, netplay compatibility. Unfortunately, there's' really no way around it. No SOC-acessable flags are triggered during netplay, so you've just gotta tack on a "netplay is unsupported kthxbai" message to the download link.

To help you out a bit, you CAN spawn objects via slingitem, spinitem, and thokitem, standard character properties, and you CAN use RUNSOC binds to switch the effect of each item, that's about the best you can do though.

Sadly i know all that =( but as i said i will think of somthing...
Somtihng that will satisfy my creative desires.....

Draykon said:
Congradulations Slash, you've discovered the principle behind my inventory Script/SOC thingy.
Yadayadayadayadayada..
>>, you CAN spawn objects via slingitem, spinitem, and thokitem, standard character properties<<

What do you mean by that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back