July/August 2010 Contest Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Race votes.

Azure Night Zone - 3/10
Sonic players have nothing more interesting than a complete and utter thokfest, while Tails And Knuckles can both skip large portions of the level, making this level uninteresting for all characters.

Super Sonic Starway Zone - 2/10
And immediately afterward, we've got a level that's unplayable by two of the three characters. I did not enjoy this level, especially the part where you were navigating a maze while adjusting your floating position to go through gates. It's not fun trying to navigate that with Super Sonic Float. :<

Cyan Caves Zone - 7/10
Fairly enjoyable. Not a complete thokfest, as the ice and fire everywhere makes it dangerous to try. Though, Knuckles easily breezes past this level with no problems.

Aqua Palace Zone - N/A
My level. Created from concept to completion in little over 2 hours. It doesn't look like anybody found the secret easter egg though. If I decide to fix this level, the only thing that I'd really do is make taking the staircase at the beginning in its full required, instead of letting you jump over the whole thing.

Sky Cliffs Zone - 5/10
The springs in the beginning are murder. Other than that, it's a fairly solid level except that Knuckles makes it incredibly easy. I think you need a star post on that upper platform near the beginning, or else Knuckles can avoid that section completely if he wanted.

Um, so what level is SLZ anyway? Oh and Kyasarin, people don't need to give reviews, not to mention good ones.

EDIT: Nvm about that SLZ thing, since you corrected it.

If you want to give an extreme rating, you probably are going to want to offer a review though. If my level was getting sevens and then someone gave it a two, then I'd like to know what they were missing. And if I were tallying the scores and saw somebody give ridiculous numbers without any kind of explanation, I might wonder if they were just trolling.

Ok, UNIMPRESSED with Sapphire Coast?!?!?
What about it? I'm not "impressed" by Sapphire Coast either. It's a pretty good level, but that doesn't mean I should consider it the fucking second coming.

Single Player Votes/Reviews

Golden Palace Zone – 7/10

I certainly enjoyed this wad, but there’s also quite a bit wrong with it. As has been stated numerous times before in this contest, the texturing needs work. Many of the rooms are just too bright and are painful on the eyes as a result. The yellow needs to be offset with a darker colour at least.

As far as game play goes, I had quite a bit of fun. The map had a decent length and kept on surprising me with interesting visuals (For example, the TV) and gimmicks. However, the stage was also extremely linear. Without any alternate paths for the player to take, the stage was not very interesting the second time around. Another point of note is that if the player brings an attraction shield to the following room, they can take enough rings for an unintended extra life.

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/1360/srb20013.png As you can see from this screenshot, I have been able to remove most of the rings from this room and take roughly 200 rings.

Another point of issue is the music, while the use of a high quality soundtrack was fine for the most part, it is important to remain consistent with your musical style and as a result. The change to a 16-bit chiptune when I reached the boss encounter was very odd.

But, overall, I quite enjoyed this level. It certainly isn’t perfect and there are some things that could be changed for better, but it was good fun.

Emerald Lake Zone, Act 1 – 3/10

What immediately strikes me about this level is that you took the time to use a custom sky and create sprites for the motobugs. But you didn’t take the time to replace the THZ wall textures.

Visuals aside, the gameplay here is also lacking, I won’t bother mentioning the fences as they have been covered more times than I dare to count, but the rest of the game play was interesting and bland. The motobugs simply being resprited crawlas that did little to make the stage more interesting while the platforming was nothing interesting. The water sections were also extremely dull to play through and the darkness gave the player little sense of direction.

The visual design here was also quite dull, with about 4/5 different textures being used to decorate the entire map. I understand that not much could be done with a stage so small, but the underwater areas especially looked extremely boring.

Lava Reef Zone – 2/10

Jump, jump, jump and then jump again. That is what makes up a significant part of this level, leaping from static platform to another static platform. Another serious point of issue is that the rising lava section cannot be completed by Sonic due to bad design, but there is no indication that this room cannot be completed by Sonic until he is already in it. At which point, the only way to escape is for the player to loose a life.
Furthermore, the path splits that are designed for each character are not very well balanced as both Tails and Knuckles can easily pass through the crushers intended for Sonic only.

There were also a few points in which the player was given a poor sense of direction. For example, at the start of the level I have seen players go in a loop and at the end of the level, I was initially unsure of where the exit was as I found myself back at the start of the level.

Aqua Relic Zone – 5/10

This zone was… Functional, but uninteresting. There was very little that succeeded in separating it from Deep Sea Zone, or any other water level for that matter. There were no extraordinary or particularly memorable pieces of level design and for the most part the visuals were standard, with effort taken to make the larger walls appear pleasing on the eyes (The entrance to the final room for example, with its waterfalls and pillars) and suitable geographical detail scattered throughout the level.

There are a few level design issues that need to be worked on though, for example there was one room which served as a dead end and only had a crawla and a single item monitor to find in it. Another is in a section where the player must run along a curving pathway to leave the room, but falling off would result in the player backtracking through water. In this section, I felt that the curving pathway was to narrow.

Sapphire Coast Zone, Act 1 – 9/10

This map is fantastic, I loved it to bits and I’ve had a blast emblem hunting and messing around with the mechanics of the new enemies while exploring it to seek out the 6 emblems. The secret area is very much a high point of this level as well. (Seriously, if there’s anyone reading this who hasn’t found the secret area yet. Go find it) although there are still a few flaws worth pointing out.

This something I pointed out during testing and I understand your reasoning for keeping it this way, but opaque water sitting underneath platforming sections disguises the threat of failure from the player and so, in the lily-pad leaping sections, as a result, the player will not know what the penalty is for falling into the water until he does so. To illustrate this point, when I first played this stage, I thought I would be dropped into an underwater section of some kind if I fell off of the lily-pads. Turns out the player is just waist high in water if they mess up.

The custom badniks are also nicely tuned for a first level, while they are tougher than the Crawlas used in Greenflower Zone, when Lost Worlds is released, it is safe to assume that players will at least be used to the controls so they can handle badniks that shoot and have defence mechanisms.

Match:
MAPM1 - Secluded Woodland Zone by Spherallic - 7/10
The level looks VERY good, but it can sometimes be hard to find out where you are going, and the level is a bit on the large size.

MAPM2 - Random Valley Zone by nightmare cenz - 4/10
Well, you got the basic layout down okay, now you just need to work on the size.
The level is to big and confusing, you also made the mistake of using more then 1 grande ammo, because of this I could get a load of grande with ease, and did a epic shot by knocking a Tails out of the sky with one :3. Anyways, work on your size and item placement.

MAPM3 - Cold Canyon Zone by RedEchidna - 4/10
Okay, I tested this when you first made it and I told you it was to small, and it still is. I also hate the death pit, it drives me crazy when I fall in it and lose points because of clag x.x'.

MAPM4 - Sparkling City Zone by Neo Chaotikal - 8/10
I got to hand it to you, the Sonic head was awesome! Not just that, but the other parts are awesome, like the City Escape part, the one construction yard was also nice. Only gripes is that it's sorta hard to find all the weapon rings, and that you only did a Sonic head. :<

MAPM5 - Midnight Park Zone by KO.T.E - MINE/NOT URS FEWLS
Yay for another old map that returns! was originally called "Kitty Park" and was made way back in 1.09.4, maybe before I started Chaos Domain, but idk. Anyways, I ported it over and made it better, didn't get much time to add in scenery since I had only a few minutes to send it in.

MAPM6 - Rocky Mesa Zone by Brawl - 3/10
Rings, do they live here? I don't think so. Like most of your other maps, you are skimpy on your rings, on a 1 on 1 match, I was hunting for rings most of the time. I also noticed that you used a "?" monitor, BAD idea. Also you don't have a color map, and the level is super cramped in parts.

CTF:
MAPF1 - Slime Stronghold Zone by RedEchidna - 6/10
Pretty good, but the bases can be camped very easily, and it is also hard to chase them out even when you are there to do so, also, ERZ textures clash much.

MAPF2 - Disrepaired Sanctuary Zone by Mach - 4/10
Eh, the level looks okay, but it is way to wide open, and it is easy to just hide behind stuff at the bases to camp, not really a problem when you can bomb/rail/scatter them into a death pit though. Also, I dub this map Nimbus Ruins Zone Bad Future, or maybe Past, idk.

MAPF3 - Spaceport Warfare Zone by KO.T.E & Spherallic - collabs/are fun
Old map I started, I did the base layout, sphere touched it up and made a center. not really much to say that I haven't said already, save for the fact we only tested it 2 times or so.

MAPF4 - Flood Forest Zone by glaber - 3/10
Okay, first of: you have WAY to much ammo again, I could get a load of grenades within seconds. You also made it sorta confusing on how to get out of the bases, I also note how you put the flag away from where you are supposed to put it to get a point.

Circuit:
Not gonna do it, since I don't have the time.

Last edited:
Single Player:
Golden Palace Zone by Internet Explorer - 4/10
Too flat, too boring, too linear, too long, too yawn.

Emerald Lake Zone, Act 1 by glaber - 5/10
Looked nice, but why am I stopped for no reason? Also a little plain.

Lava Reef Zone by WEREHOG - 2/10
I died once because the lava rose too fast without warning and wouldn't let me get to the platform. The map's also otherwise full of problems.

Aqua Relic Zone by furythehog - 5/10
A bit boring to play, but it looked nice and I liked some of the little bits here and there.

Sapphire Coast Zone, Act 1 by Blade - 7/10
First level naturally means it's a bit stale, so I can forgive that. Looked pretty, but iirc there was this one part on I think the left path where you have to bounce off a spring badnik. What if you destroy him first? :x

Match:
MAPM1 - Secluded Woodland Zone by Spherallic - 4/10
I am disappoint. All browny-brown and I couldn't tell where I was.

MAPM2 - Random Valley Zone by nightmare cenz - 4/10
See above. Also, the ice platforms scattered willy-nilly seemed kinda silly, doncha think?

MAPM3 - Cold Canyon Zone by RedEchidna - sup
Remind me to put more effort into these things next time kk?

MAPM4 - Sparkling City Zone by Neo Chaotikal - 7/10
The rail was hard to get to, and the whole level seemed a wee bit laggy on my end. Otherwise, I hate you for ruining my chances of ever winning ;-;

MAPM5 - Midnight Park Zone by KO.T.E - 6/10
I liked the panel locations and it looked purty, but I'd like it just a bit more broken up.

MAPM6 - Rocky Mesa Zone by Brawl - 3/10
Too hard to get to the good stuff, and the map as a whole is layed out bad.

CTF:
MAPF1 - Slime Stronghold Zone by RedEchidna - yo
Sphere actually changed some textures once and showed me, but I thought it looked too dry, so I kept what I had. I know the ERZ textures don't work all that well but I couldn't find a good replacement in time. :(

MAPF2 - Disrepaired Sanctuary Zone by Mach - 0/10
You're joking, right?

MAPF3 - Spaceport Warfare Zone by KO.T.E & Spherallic - 4/10
That was a nice-looking slideshow you have there. Unfortunately it just doesn't play well. :U

MAPF4 - Flood Forest Zone by glaber 3/10
<RedEnchilada> liked the sector layout kinda, but the weapon placement was awful, not to mention the bases

Circuit:
MAPR1 - Azure Night Zone by Kaysakado - 4/10
Too much thokfest. Looked decent enough though.

MAPR2 - Super Sonic Starway Zone by RedEchidna - hi
EVERYBODY SUPER SONIC RACING
TRY TO KEEP YOUR FEET RIGHT ON THE GROUND
WHEN YOU'RE SUPER SONIC RACING
THERE'S NO TIME TO LOOK AROUND
or however it went

MAPR3 - Cyan Caves Zone by Blade - 4/10
Am I the only one who doesn't like mondy's rush job maps? This one was kinda boring, not to mention that silly fire either came out of nowhere or missed you completely.

MAPR4 - Aqua Palace Zone by simsmagic - 4/10
I lost two lives in the first lap because I couldn't see the deathpits early enough to react to them. Otherwise, it was just a boring little thokfest. :(

MAPR5 - Sky Cliffs Zone by darkbob1713 - 3/10
That start was the most retarded thing I have ever seen. Also, why does the water suddenly stop before it hits the bottom? This isn't Minecraft, and if it is, I see no sponges.

Last edited:
If anyone cares, I was listening to Pandora while judging, so I wasn't commenting on any music choice for the scores. After I finished typing the following, I went back and listened to the music choice for each level. Really, two levels with Jade coast music? What have we come to?

Golden Palace by Internet Explorer - 5/10
The good thing is you don't really have any bad things. The bad thing is you don't really have any good things.

The handful of gimmicks you institute are boring. I just ran over the 9 digits until the door opened. Killing all of the enemies in order to progress doesn't work in SRB2. The lifts which raised into position were nothing special.

I know you don't like SRB2's default graphics and sound effects. Just don't force change on me just to play your level.

Emerald Lake 1 by glaber - 3/10
Glaber, you're confusing me. If I can see it, I want to be able to walk on it. Outside of that, congratulations on moving up from cramped to too big... ?

Lava Reef by WEREHOG - 6/10
I can't spot any fundamental flaws here aside from the 2D sections. Your route structure here is confusing at spots, but the core gameplay is functional. The entire level only reuses old ideas from other people's maps, so you don't get any points for originality.

Aqua Relic by furythehog - 7/10
You've got a somewhat original theme going for you, and some moments echo of a centerpiece. Your gameplay is completely satisfactory, but your map is average.

Sapphire Coast 1 by Blade - 8/10
Your map is good. It really is. You've been around so long that I know you can take a thorough list of flaws, and I really want you to get better at mapping. I'm pointing out all these flaws to help, honest.

You're building levels for Sonic, with lots of room to run. Which is great, if I'm playing as Sonic. When I play Knuckles, I crave a denser level design with the content packed more closely. Also, your bouncy shrooms are too low for Knuckles to jump on easily.

I thought we were above transition tunnels. I really did.

Your alternate route which begins on a tree branch is hard to find. I only found it because I went through the route backwards and came out on the branch and discovered I was back where I started.

Oh, and you know WHY I was going backwards? I walked right past your exit sector because I was hugging the coastline. I spent the longest time trying to find forwards right near the exit sector before I saw the Eggman sign.

What about it? I'm not "impressed" by Sapphire Coast either. It's a pretty good level, but that doesn't mean I should consider it the fucking second coming.
For me, the score represents how close a level comes to achieving what it wants to achieve. Sapphire Coast is not an ERZ in terms of gameplay, but it comes pretty close to being the perfect introduction level. I don't consider the short length and basic platforming a flaw or a reason to rate it lower, because the level was made that way on purpose. I wouldn't have a problem with giving an "unimpressive" level 10/10 as long as it's flawless. But yeah, everyone has a different opinion on ratings.

Sapphire Coast Zone, Act 1 by Blade - 7/10
First level naturally means it's a bit stale, so I can forgive that. Looked pretty, but iirc there was this one part on I think the left path where you have to bounce off a spring badnik. What if you destroy him first? :x

Then you go and look for the yellow spring instead. =P

For me, the score represents how close a level comes to achieving what it wants to achieve. Sapphire Coast is not an ERZ in terms of gameplay, but it comes pretty close to being the perfect introduction level. I don't consider the short length and basic platforming a flaw or a reason to rate it lower, because the level was made that way on purpose. I wouldn't have a problem with giving an "unimpressive" level 10/10 as long as it's flawless. But yeah, everyone has a different opinion on ratings.
I get this, but I didn't comment on any ratings, did I? A level doesn't need to be ERZ2 in order for me to call it "impressive", but it does need to be something really, really awesome. Something which, bleh, causes an impression!

Sapphire Coast 1 is a good stage. However, it is not a great stage. It's very pretty, and has a lot of characteristic and unique design, but there are enough small tidbits that I don't particularly enjoy for me to consider it "pretty good" instead of phenomenal. To be perfectly clear, length and difficulty are usually not part of this judgment, unless the level pushes it to an extreme (incredibly short, long, easy or hard, or a combination thereof).

Sapphire Coast 1 is a good stage. However, it is not a great stage. It's very pretty, and has a lot of characteristic and unique design, but there are enough small tidbits that I don't particularly enjoy for me to consider it "pretty good" instead of phenomenal.
Now that is something else, and I can perfectly understand that. I personally enjoy all of it, but I think I can see why one wouldn't.

Except that every room looks totally different from each other.
that doesn't matter if I have no clue where to go

when I played his map, I had no clue where to go

well, except if I wanted to run around in a circle around maybe half the map, but you get the point

Also, is my idea of a good Match map size smaller than everybody else's? :x

that doesn't matter if I have no clue where to go

when I played his map, I had no clue where to go

well, except if I wanted to run around in a circle around maybe half the map, but you get the point
This is a Match map, you aren't supposed to go anywhere. There are three rooms, one big one and two smaller ones. The smaller ones can be reached through exits in the big one. That's everything.

Also, is my idea of a good Match map size smaller than everybody else's? :x
Let me put it that way: You know something's wrong when your maps are usually smaller than everyone else's, including the official ones.

Let me put it this way. When I'm playing a match map, I'd like to be able to know that the grenade room is that way, the SRM is that way, etc. I had no clue of any relative locations when playing that map, so I got lost.

Also, Sapphire Falls is about as small as or smaller than my map iirc. :<

Last edited:
Let me put it this way. When I'm playing a match map, I'd like to be able to know that the grenade room is that way, the SRM is that way, etc. I had no clue of any relative locations when playing that map, so I got lost.
You mean you didn't even have a clue after playing for a few minutes? Because you can't expect to know the locations from the first second you load the map.

Also, Sapphire Falls is about as small as or smaller than my map iirc. :<
Yeah, but that's like the only one of the official ones (excluding Meadow Match for obvious reasons).

EDIT:
Otherwise, I hate you for ruining my chances of ever winning ;-;
But you won against me :< Only because you got the Elemental Shield twice in a row, but you won.

Last edited:
*headdesks* I totally forgot you made a Match map too. I blame it on the forgettableness of your map :V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back