Jelly Tails

Jelly Tails v1.1.5

SweetCoffy

get real
Sebo2205 submitted a new resource:

Jelly Tails - he's Tails, but really bouncy

Something i decided to make, was originally just a lua that messes with vanilla tails, until i decided to add squash and stretch

Abilities:
  • Flight
    Press and hold jump in mid-air to fly, press spin to cancel
    View attachment 55822

• Recurl
    Press spin in mid-air in a not spinning state to spin

• Stomp
    Press spin in mid-air to perform a stomp, this will launch Jelly Tails to the ground, making him bounce up
    [ATTACH...

Read more about this resource...

First there was Crystal Sonic, then there was Rose Gold Amy and now we have Jelly Tails. what's next? Iron Knuckles. In all seriousness though, I love the concept.

Yet another in the series of "OP versions of vanilla SRB2 cast made out of strange things"!
I adore the idea of a version of Tails that is both ridiculously OP while being uncontrollably bouncy. Even getting hit by an enemy sends you flying, and it's just funny to me.
That said, I do have a few gripes with the execution. The biggest one is that holding spin as you land from a bounce puts you in the dreaded spinstate, forcing you to move at the pace of a snail until you land/bounce again. When close to the ground, it may be a bad idea to bounce when it may leave you uncontrollable for a while.
Also, perhaps my understanding of theoretical gelatinous creatures is simply inferior to yours, but I expected the direction I bounce off walls to be different. Every time you bounce, you go in the exact opposite direction you were going. I kinda expected the direction to be more like the Metal Sonic fight, where you moreso reflect off the wall. I wanted to charge a spindash, hold spin right after flying off, and just see where I bounce, but as is, that just sends you between two walls in a straight line, no matter what angle you hit them both at.
Dashmode only growing stronger on the ground is odd, considering you bounce around so much you barely touch the ground, nevermind stay on it.
Finally... I feel like the afterimages are a bit much. I mean, you jump one millimeter and you leave behind an entire army of afterimages.
That said, even conceptually, Jelly Tails is just absurd fun! Bouncing around like a madman going anywhere BUT forward, all the while refusing to land anywhere is just entertaining to me. The stretching and squashing of the Jelly Tails sprite just adds to the amusement.

This character's pretty neat, though I've got some stuff to report on.

- The code that allows him to walk through spikes seems to not work properly if the spike is upside down (that one section of Black Core 1 in particular.)
- Don't know if it's intended, but recurl does not seem to work from swimming in water.

Other than that, he's pretty solid aside from minor bugs here and there.

well I was already gonna ask jelly tails dev but icezer is here so. You should add an option to team up with jelly tails icezer!
Considering that Sonic & Tails are a vanilla teaming, it's very probable.

... CSS art just needs to be made, really.

If a teamup between Crystal Sonic and Jelly Tails is going to be a thing, I think one thing should be fixed: If both Crystal Sonic and Jelly Tails are added, Jelly Tails' transparency effect doesn't work.
Also... Walk through spikes? Is that a thing he can do?

If a teamup between Crystal Sonic and Jelly Tails is going to be a thing, I think one thing should be fixed: If both Crystal Sonic and Jelly Tails are added, Jelly Tails' transparency effect doesn't work.
Also... Walk through spikes? Is that a thing he can do?
I am aware of the transparency issue, and will hotfix it as soon as possible.
Also yeah, do jt_spikeinv in console to give it a try.

Alright, went through the game as Jelly Tails with one goal: Go fast! (Stopped at the Metal Sonic fight because I felt that would play the same.) Some more thoughts:
The bounce(stomp) is WAY more absurd than I have given it credit for. Find a slope, bounce, and watch as Jelly Tails suddenly gains ALL the speed. The steeper, the better! Go straight into flight and watch the level zip past! ACZ1 is a good level for this.
Dashmode as it is now tends to be... sporadically used. I don't think I really use it in ACZ1 at all, mostly abuse slopes and fly past everything super fast. In places I feel inclined to stay on the ground (RVZ, some of DSZ2) it speeds up Jelly Tails a lot... because it's dashmode, of course it does. But it wasn't something I feel I really benefited from for most of the game. Jelly Tails goes super fast even without it, though.
I think the only level that took me longer than two minutes was Egg Rock act 2. I got a time of 2:18 there, if I recall. Most levels didn't even take a minute... though I'm using ingame timer as a reference, and not counting time spent dying and restarting to rid myself of slow starts.
Maybe Jelly Tails could start another stomp after hitting an enemy? Like how it works with the bubble shield?

Speaking of shields, tried that after my speed playthrough. Every shield placed with objectplace, then some messing around. Honestly, I expected the shields to not do anything, I don't think the stomp and the shields are both supposed to activate at the same time, but they do, and I tried them anyway. Some shields did basically nothing (lightning, force). The others? Varies.
Elemental removes all your forward momentum instead of just the majority, and places fires when you bounce. Eh.
Fire is great, it counteracts the typical speed loss from starting a stomp.
Water is interesting. You can only use the jelly-stomp after re-spinning from flying. Otherwise it's vanilla Bubble bounce all the way.
Whirlwind, my favorite wind shield, is also interesting. You tend to alternate between the whirlwind jump and the bouncy-stomp. The whirlwind jump limits your upward momentum. This gives you WAY more control than ever over your verticality, WAY faster.
And the Attraction shield just does homing when near enemies, standard.

I didn't think I'd have so much more to type. Should Jelly Tails have the shield abilities activate?
I am aware of the transparency issue, and will hotfix it as soon as possible.
Also yeah, do jt_spikeinv in console to give it a try.
Ah, thanks! Just gave it a try. Yeah, it doesn't work with sideways spikes either. CE2 has quite a few of them and... yeah. Seeing it in action gave me Gooigi vibes! Not sure why it's off by default.

Last edited:

cant you just reuse the artwork?
Post automatically merged:

I think 150 rings is way to much for hyper because it drains more rings
Post automatically merged:

afterimages are overkill

Last edited:
Honestly? This mod is something for the record books! It is just silly and I actually cracked up laughing!
And hey! At least tails the fox now gets to brag to sonic and amy about how he now has a more powerful form!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back