• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.
  • We've updated our submissions guidelines to address AI generated content, take a look at them here.

Is there a possibility of bringing back Mecha Sonic Mk 2?

BasicTadpole379

I like SRB2.
Mecha Sonic Mk 2 is the only major character that has gotten a mod, but needs improvement. The last mod's sprites could have been improved, but sadly, the mod stopped receiving updates before it could get good sprites. I'm wondering if there's any plan to bring him back, better than ever! I was going to suggest the use of the attached sprite in the last mod, but then I realized that the mod was discontinued. The sprite isn't the best and may be flawed, but I think it is a start to bringing him back. Let me know what you think. :threat:
 

Attachments

  • MechaSonicmk2.png
    MechaSonicmk2.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
well, theoretically you could upload the sprite edit separately, or you could make some unique code and add the sprites to that. The latter might be harder if you're not experienced with coding, but i'm sure someone would be willing to help.
 
I think the best idea is to just replace all the sprites. I like the moveset, so that could be kept, and better sprites were planned in the original mod. The only problem is that I'm not very good at making sprites, as it turns out.
In the original mod's last changelog, it says "Removed Sonic.exe." I believe this is a reference to a Minecraft changelog that said "Removed Herobrine." I could be wrong, but I noticed this when I was going over the mod page and thought it was funny. :)
 
Last edited:
I've read up on the MB rules to refresh my memory, and I will not reply to this thread until I've made more progress on this mod. As a note, I do not know if it is possible to contact the original mod creator as he hasn't been seen in a long time. I will still accept help for this mod however.
 
I've read up on the MB rules to refresh my memory, and I will not reply to this thread until I've made more progress on this mod. As a note, I do not know if it is possible to contact the original mod creator as he hasn't been seen in a long time. I will still accept help for this mod however.
Are you going to make your own Mecha Sonic mod, or add new stuff to the existing mod and submit that?
 
Are you going to make your own Mecha Sonic mod, or add new stuff to the existing mod and submit that?
That depends on how I'm feeling if I ever manage to continue and finish the sprites. For example, I might too tired from spriting to code and I might just resprite. (I also am not very advanced in coding with Lua) I also could just do a resprite, but I don't know how to get permission for the mod. Since I'm also not very good at spriting, I might use the old sprites as templates. Any help, tips, or advice are accepted. :)
I know I said I wouldn't reply to this thread. I should clarify that I wouldn't show any more of my development of the mod until I get the sprites at least halfway finished.
 
That depends on how I'm feeling if I ever manage to continue and finish the sprites. For example, I might too tired from spriting to code and I might just resprite. (I also am not very advanced in coding with Lua) I also could just do a resprite, but I don't know how to get permission for the mod. Since I'm also not very good at spriting, I might use the old sprites as templates. Any help, tips, or advice are accepted. :)
I know I said I wouldn't reply to this thread. I should clarify that I wouldn't show any more of my development of the mod until I get the sprites at least halfway finished.
As a judge, I will tell you that you would absolutely need explicit permission to make a new version of that mod. The "you can continue if you can't get into contact with the original creator" rule is for ports only, and ports are not allowed to make creative changes, they're strictly for updating mods that don't work in the current version.

You would need to make a new mod from scratch, as the original mod isn't Open Assets or reusable.
 
Did they say it was somewhere? The original mod isn't marked as Open Assets, nor does it have the old reusability tag.
I was looking at the add-on just now and I couldn't find anything where the permissions are except the word "Yes".
Post automatically merged:

1777490831119.png
 
I was looking at the add-on just now and I couldn't find anything where the permissions are except the word "Yes".
That's not permissions, that's just a box addon submitters check that says they followed the Submissions Guidelines.
1777490843610.png
 
Okay. That makes a bit more sense. But I'm still wondering about permissions. I'm planning on trying to contact the mod creator, but I'm sure it may not work. If I am able to, I might just ask if I can help with updating the original mod with new sprites.

Edit: I asked Username092948 for permission. I'm just waiting for a response. (Which is unlikely, who knows if I'll get permission.)
 
Last edited:
Mecha Sonic Mk 2 is the only major character that has gotten a mod, but needs improvement. The last mod's sprites could have been improved, but sadly, the mod stopped receiving updates before it could get good sprites. I'm wondering if there's any plan to bring him back, better than ever! I was going to suggest the use of the attached sprite in the last mod, but then I realized that the mod was discontinued. The sprite isn't the best and may be flawed, but I think it is a start to bringing him back. Let me know what you think. :threat:
PEAK
Post automatically merged:

Okay. That makes a bit more sense. But I'm still wondering about permissions. I'm planning on trying to contact the mod creator, but I'm sure it may not work. If I am able to, I might just ask if I can help with updating the original mod with new sprites.

Edit: I asked Username092948 for permission. I'm just waiting for a response. (Which is unlikely, who knows if I'll get permission.)
i dont think your going to get anything
 
Thank you for the feedback. Spriting the whole mod feels like a lot and I'm relatively new to modding and have no idea where to start. I may sprite over the current sprites just to use them for size/ like a template.
i dont think your going to get anything
Yeah, it's been exactly one month as of writing this and still no response. I wonder how it's going to work out with the permissions...

The only real progress on the mod I have completed was changing what color he uses for default and super based off of comments on the original project, and brainstorming moveset changes. I'm not going to post that version as none of the changes are significant enough.
 
Does anyone know if it is possible to use another mod to edit assets in the original mod (basically a texture pack)?
This way I could redo the sprites and maybe a bit of the code without having to modify the original, which should theoretically ensure that I don't need permission to remake the mod.

Edit:
Fuzzball: well, theoretically you could upload the sprite edit separately, or you could make some unique code and add the sprites to that. The latter might be harder if you're not experienced with coding, but i'm sure someone would be willing to help.
I'm making a texture pack (once I learn how).
 
Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back
Top