Is Shadow t3h Hedghog worth getting??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my(brief) opinion of the game:

Let me state this first: The weapons are almost entirely unecessary to beat the game. Shadow still carries the standard arsenal of homing sttacks as well as the return of the spindash and slide tackling, and even has the new ability to kick and punch ala Knuckles when he has no weapon equiped. The person(Not bothering to specifically name him/her) who said earlier in this topic that the homing attack is worthless because of enemy HP was in essence either misinformed or lying. The homing attack will defeat a human being instantly along with GUN beatles and the smaller bird creatures of the Black Arms. Others, like Eggpawns and standard Black Arms soilders require two attacks to defeat. The preceeding are most of the enemies you are forced to face throughout the levels. There are, however, a select few a bit later on such as Chaos experiments, giant Black Arms soilders, and Big Foot mechs(Which incidently take the exact ammount of hits to destroy as their SA2 boss counterparts) that take a bit more hits to destroy, but still far less than some of the enemies in Sonic Heroes when homing attacking on the lowest level.

Weapons are pretty basic in themselves, and not as overpowered as one would expect. A handgun does damage equal to a homing attack, and so does a basic Black Arms hun. A machine gune does the same damage as a handgun, but at a much higher rate as well as the rapid fire Black Arms weapon, etc. The game's lock-on system is rather easy to use, as Shadow will automatically shoot at the nearest enemy he is relatively pointing at when the fire button is pressed down, whether the nemy is higer or lower than he is, allowing you to keep moving fast and yet eliminate the lower HP baddies without stopping, since Shadow can run at full speed and still shoot at the same time. As the game progresses you naturally gain stronger weaponry to tackle the enemies with larger HP, making people who rely on homing attacks have to use weapons a bit more. A weapon is picked up merely by running over where it is indicated by a ring of green light and carries a fixed ammount of ammo. Additional ammo is also picked up merely by running over it, like any other ring. Unfortunately, to switch a weapon you must stop and stand over the new weapon and press a button to switch with it. Black Arms and Robots explode the same when hit by either homing attacks or weapons, but humans luckily just fall down when their life-meter is depleted, continually saying sorry to their men or asking Shadow to spare them(of which it is impossible to NOT spare them as they can't be "killed", although by throwing them special heal units they can be revived). Oh, and if you're wondering, Big Foot mechs merely explode and don't leave behind their pilot for some reason. :eek:

Swords were slightly dissapointing. While you can swing them infinitely in open air, if they hit any breakable object or enemy their ammo meter depletes, making cool weapons like the Samarai blade short-lived.

The graphics, while argued to be equivalent to Sonic Heroes, are in fact more like those of an Adventure game except for the models which were made to look a bit better. While this allows for more interactive/breakable enviroments, it is a slight put-off for both reviewers and people who are fans of next-generation graphics. I myself had very little problems with it though.

The multiple paths, while cool in theory, isn't as good as it could be. I managed to kill almost all the GUN soilders in several levels and still obtain a rank A and fullfill the hero mission. While getting dark points while fullfilling a hero mission will subtract from your score and visa-versa, the time bonus you nearly always get overshadows your score. Missions themselves contain alot of destroying a certain number of something or collecting something, but usually those are placed directly in your path to achieve. If you need to backtrack, there is the ability to warp from savepoint to savepoint which makes the process much easier. There are some exceptionally fun missions, like racing Sonic to a goal ring, or hunting down and destroying a black tank before it gets away, which add alot to the mix of both speed and gunplay at once. But if all else fails, you can fullfill the nuetral mission by running to the goal ring.

Depending on what enemies you destroy your blue and red meters fill up, turning you into Dark Shadow or Hero Shadow respectfully, which allows you to be invincible and have unlimited ammo for a period, as well as allow you to execute Choas Blast or Chaos Control techniques(Truly the closest thing we've had to an in-game Super Sonic/Shadow). The DArk Shadow or Hero Shadow forms can be extended by defeating more good or bad enemies, much like the rings of Super Sonic. The chaos control technique is unfortunately useless unless you are in a boss battle or want to warp to the end of a level quickly, as it often causes you to bypass some mission objectives. Chaos blast is also annoying as it doesn't descriminate between enemies.

I'd go on(You know, Voices, music, characters and all that), but I think I'm getting quickly side-tracked. Really it's a mixed bag. In truth it's a medeocre Sonic game, but a pretty neat Shadow game. :)

Borrowed the game yesterday. I've only got 2 endings of 10, but MAN did they drop the ball with this one... It's REALLY mediocre.

A run down of why I think so, which I'd posted on other message boards:

I said:
So, yeah, I finally managed to check out Shadow, and... well, it's really a mixed bag. Most of it's pretty much as bad as stated, but yet I'm still having some fun out of it.

A run down of my thoughts so far:
* Music seems to be VERY forgettable. It's not that it's bad, it's just that if there's a melody to it, it's very hard to notice. (And I still don't like "All Hail Shadow". :P)

* Sound effects aren't much of a problem, but I find it weird that some effects are inaudible when you're not very far away from their source, but rather loud when you're right next to them. Messed up.

* The method for Hero and Dark missions are really, really bad. How long is it going to take Sonic Team to understand that quests to kill every X thing is a BAD idea when you give them NO indication of where every X thing is? This was even worse in this stage I was playing with Maria last night (Pure Hero mission, right before Final Haunt), where they casually hid an Artificial Chaos behind a wall that you can slide under, while making it very difficult to realize that you CAN slide under it as said, making it instead appear to be a dead end. I suppose it wouldn't be SO bad if Maria would shut up - or rather, shut up about non-existant Artificial Chaos(es?) that I had killed, like, 20 minutes earlier. That pretty much relegated her usefulness in locating the bloody creatures to "utterly useless" after one run through the ARK. Not to mention...

* Checkpoints work once. That's it. It doesn't matter HOW much you travel through them, you're always warped back to the final one you'd reached, at the exact same status you'd reached before, botching ANY progress you'd made afterwards. That is pathetic. If you're going to incorporate fetch quests and an easy way to navigate the level by backtracking (which, in contrast, is one of the games highlights, considering all the hunting I've had to do), you should at least let people save all the progress they've made up to that point again, and not just the once.

* Back to path choices again, but really, I'd like to choose a path from the levels I'd completed, and not have to start all over again from Westopolis. Yeesh, I don't even want to delve into how much replaying I'll have to do if I want to get all 11 endings by Sunday.

* Voice Acting is pretty bad. I mean, dear God, who actually made Vector sound like THAT? I'd heard that his voice was off well back in the Sonic X dub, but I had no idea it was THIS bad. Shadow sounds disinterested, Charmy is annoying, the G.U.N. soldiers never shut up, the G.U.N. Commander doesn't exactly sound like I thought he would (although he's okay)... Tails is good, though, as are Eggman and Black Doom. They, frankly, should've stuck with Drummond for Sonic, but Griffith is okay.

* Level design is rather poor. Seriously, the whole "floating path of linearity over a giant bottomless pit of DOOM" style kinda lost its appeal in Heroes, and yet it's still here in full force. At least I've noticed some levels with more floor...

* Characters won't shut up. At least you can go Neutral, but I think Shadow winds up talking then... then again, that might just be the hint points.

* Am I the only one getting tired of loops? I mean, they were AWESOME in the Genesis games because they were a direct application of the physics engine; if you had enough speed to clear it, you were good to go, but otherwise you'd have to get the speed, because you couldn't get past it otherwise, unless you get on top of it. In the 3D games, they're scripted, horribly glitchy "as long as you hold up the game will do the rest for you"-fests. You want to go around the other way on the loop? The game doesn't care! Forward or bust!

* The camera is definitely still bad. I mean, sure, it's not going through too many walls now, and it will let you move backward, but the instant you try to move forward, even for a second, the camera will try and force you forward. Again. Doesn't do the same thing for moving backward. Not to mention, there's no visible lock-on that I've noticed, so often times I'm trying to shoot something that the camera just won't show me. Very aggravating. They should've kept in the first-person camera, too. Heck, just make the game a freakin' FPS; it could work. Jumping might be a hassle, but that's why we can look down.

* Graphics seem to be highly inconsistent; the game really isn't all that taxing from the looks of it, so why do I experience so much slowdown in the GC version? Admittedly, most of the time you have to actively look for it, but it's there nevertheless.

* Gunplay is actually pretty decent, but the lack on any noticable targetting - barring the rocket launchers - really hurts the game. And swords? Don't make me laugh. The guns work, but the swords prove to be highly useless, especially considering all the aerial attacking you'll have to do. Kinda hard to hit flying opponents with a sword. In fact it seems to be hard to hit some of them with a gun, which makes no sense (aim up)...

* Is it just me, or is the homing attack more stilted than ever? I mean, I push forward, implying "the direction of what I want to target (ie: nothing) is this way", but it takes that as "okay, I'll aim to this badguy to your side for you", slowing me down instead of letting me catch up to, say, that ship in Lethal Highway (which I was unable to kill, irritatingly; oh, and you can't tell where the ship is often-times, too, and you can never tell how much health it has).

In conclusion, a real love/hate situation. I've still got 10 endings to go, though, so I'll keep playing until Sunday. I just seriously wonder if my opinions really going to change before then. Right now, if I had to rate it, it'd be anywhere from 4-6, but no higher. Probably no lower, either, consdering that it's vaguely entertaining.
And those "kill the ship" missions ARE very aggravating; they expect you to attack the ships in question while trying to deal with the mess that the levels are, and God forbid you be slightly too low or high, since then the ship is nigh unhittable. AWFUL. At least Neutral feels somewhat competent, usually being "make it to the end of the stage" and not much else.

I've beated every level, and I'm missing 1 boss battle to finish all the boss battles too. After, I heard there's going to be a Last Stage.

Don't worry Shadow Hog, I too hate the missions about killing the ship.

The two things I'll admit are bad about Shadow are the "Search and destroy" missions and the new voices for Chaotix (Personally I think the other new voices are just as good, if not better. I'm gonna miss Deem, though. Rest in peace :(). But that's all I see wrong.

Hey, (not) fun trivia fact; Did you know that Mike Pollock said he'd help with TNAoStH if it weren't a breach of SEGA's contract? =P

I was deeply surprised when I lost the ship in Lethal Highway, and Sonic said "Damn, we lost them!" But yeah, you just keep shooting the barrier till it turns red and breaks, then take out the ship itself.

I think the fact that Sonic said "damn" is alright considering it was an urgent mission and it's the only time in the game you hear him say it. All of the other times he says "darn".

Omega the Hedgehog said:
The two things I'll admit are bad about Shadow are the "Search and destroy" missions and the new voices for Chaotix (Personally I think the other new voices are just as good, if not better. I'm gonna miss Deem, though. Rest in peace :(). But that's all I see wrong.
You really have some low standards, then. Horrible pop-up, horrible level-design (bottomless pits SUCK), lousy graphics (frankly I think it's insulting that the other ships in Air Fleet have to be painted right into the skybox instead of being actual models; come on, the GC is more powerful than THAT), highly forgettable audio, painful acting, lousy mission setup, highly incomplete ally feature (why do people on your side shoot at you anyway?), horrible aiming, a camera that's got to be at the worst I've EVER seen it (why can't I look up or down? Heck, why can't I move it on moving platforms so I can see where I'm going?), buggy moveset (Triangle Jump never works the way you want it to...), bland story with many awkward lines and plotholes (so, if you go from Air Fleet to Lava Shelter, somebody PLEASE explain where Shadow got the android idea from), mandatory hints that get older than moldy bread, fast, horrible pacing (you're often thrust into fights at full-speed, causing you to hurtle into enemies who can hurt you without even HAVING to shoot at you - what powerful forces people have!)... And don't even get me started on how Sonic Team likes to put EVERYTHING except jump onto the same button.

I've pretty much given up hope of the game getting any better, and now will just play it so if I ever went to GameFAQs and said "this game sucks", I'll have some advantage over those people who're always like "PLAY THE FUL GMAE YU'LL LIKE IT MOR" over there, because I would have.

Frankly, anyone who likes this is part of the problem. Sonic the Hedgehog (tentative title) had better be, like, Da Vinci or something after this horrible, convoluted mess.

In conclusion, if I want to play Sonic with guns, I'll play Jazz Jackrabbit. THAT was a fun game. THIS is just tedious.

I just beat the whole darn thing with Last Mode. Just a reminder: Shadow glows yellow at the end, not the old color from SA2.

You really have some low standards, then. Horrible pop-up, horrible level-design (bottomless pits SUCK), lousy graphics (frankly I think it's insulting that the other ships in Air Fleet have to be painted right into the skybox instead of being actual models; come on, the GC is more powerful than THAT), highly forgettable audio, painful acting, lousy mission setup, highly incomplete ally feature (why do people on your side shoot at you anyway?), horrible aiming, a camera that's got to be at the worst I've EVER seen it (why can't I look up or down? Heck, why can't I move it on moving platforms so I can see where I'm going?), buggy moveset (Triangle Jump never works the way you want it to...), bland story with many awkward lines and plotholes (so, if you go from Air Fleet to Lava Shelter, somebody PLEASE explain where Shadow got the android idea from), mandatory hints that get older than moldy bread, fast, horrible pacing (you're often thrust into fights at full-speed, causing you to hurtle into enemies who can hurt you without even HAVING to shoot at you - what powerful forces people have!)... And don't even get me started on how Sonic Team likes to put EVERYTHING except jump onto the same button.

Frankly, anyone who likes this is part of the problem. Sonic the Hedgehog (tentative title) had better be, like, Da Vinci or something after this horrible, convoluted mess.

I don't see why we can't be mature about this without resorting to insults. I hardly think that our standards are any lower than yours if we like Shadow the Hedgehog overall as a game, nor do I think we are contributing to some "problem" because we like it. Sure, the game has problems, like most games do. A game might have the glitchiest spaghetti of an engine ever created, but even so I might find parts of it appealing or addicting, and therefore fun to play. Isn't that why any game is created? To play and have fun with, regardless of how it might seem from a critic's standpoint? Honestly, if I decided that any game that didn't match my current "standards" wasn't worth playing, I'd never go back and play games like Pacman or the original Zelda(Which while they are certainly not something a reviewer of today would rate highly at all are still very fun to play). Therefore, my "standards" should not be criticized as low merely because I am able to look past some of the game's obvious problems to find Shadow the Hedgehog to be an overall enjoyable and addicting game to play.

Regardless of the fact that this game is certainly no "Da Vinci", as you would put it Shadow Hog, I would hardly call it a "horrible, convoluted mess." Naturally while everyone is entitled to their opinions(Of which I have not typed this reply to debate you on), some thoughts are best kept to yourself if they prove to be offensive.

I assume the "problem" that you are refering to with your above remark is that people's liking of this game is somehow contributing to Sonic Team's opinion that people will like/buy any piece of garbage they make, especially if it continues on the dark route of Shadow the hedgehog. Now, redgardless of my opinion that the game is good, isn't the fact that you yourself paid money to play this game contributing more to this image merely because of the fact that Sonic Team looks more at the money you spent than your opinion later? Besides, if you're so worried that Sonic Team might take our opinions on this game to heart, there are always the poorly scored official reviews out there right now which would certainly send a message to them on these various flaws you seem to feel ruin the game entirely.

Now(And this might be completely unrelated), I've said before that the main reason why many people out there who are Sonic fans who like myself grew up on the Genesis games despise Shadow so much isn't because of his story or personality(Which now more than ever can be argued to be better than many of these new characters they keep shoveling into games such as Big), but because of his vast fanbase of people who like him more than the Sonic we grew up with because he's "cooler." I wonder if that isn't Sonic Team's entire reason for reviving him and keeping him around. I mean, they have called him Sonic's ultimate rival, and hasn't the fact that this "undeserving clone" pushed his way into Sonic's fanbase played that much more on that fact? Isn't the fact that many fans of the games are mostly devided into two groups because of the Sonic and Shadow rivalry actually made it that much sweeter?

And now...

Easter Egg: Anyone notice that sometimes at random gun soilders will say "Mr. Yuji Naka is okay!"(Yuji Naka of course being the game's creator)?

I didn't pay a penny to play this game. And frankly, I'm rather grateful; I would, in no way, have paid $50 for this without feeling at least slightly ripped off.

Simply put, I've tried to really like the game. The end result, thus far, has dipped up from seething hatred but it's definitely nowhere near "like". The game is far more tedious than fun, frankly. While you're right that every game has problems, this one has far more than its fair share of them. What's worse is that the majority of them have been problems for around several years now (like bottomless pits, the #1 cause for death in this game), and a lot of them are also things that worked great in past titles but were then "fixed" even though they weren't broken (like the Homing Attack, which frequently doesn't lock on to what you want it to, particularly when you just want the boost of speed forward but are too close to an enemy).

As for standards, well, would you prefer to play a game released recently that took advantage of all the hardware's power to give you an experience that's truly engrossing, with an amazing attention to detail that makes the game look incredibly awesome, or something that looks like it belonged on hardware from a generation ago, and while it may or may not be as much fun (in this case, is not), doesn't have the same level of graphics or sound quality? Moreover, wouldn't you like it if Shadow was more on the level of Twilight Princess or Resident Evil 4 instead of Sonic Adventure 2? This shouldn't be apples to oranges; they're on the same hardware, released around about the same time, so why is it that Shadow looks so dated while the other games look awesome?

And you're right, I did kinda drop down into insults. Sorry about that, but yeah, I do kinda think supporting Sonic Team's worse endeavours DOES encourage them to make bad games. And if they're encouraged to make half-assed games, then when will we ever get games that are any good?

Metal Sonic MRK II said:

I don't see why we can't be mature about this without resorting to insults. I hardly think that our standards are any lower than yours if we like Shadow the Hedgehog overall as a game, nor do I think we are contributing to some "problem" because we like it. Sure, the game has problems, like most games do. A game might have the glitchiest spaghetti of an engine ever created, but even so I might find parts of it appealing or addicting, and therefore fun to play. Isn't that why any game is created? To play and have fun with, regardless of how it might seem from a critic's standpoint? Honestly, if I decided that any game that didn't match my current "standards" wasn't worth playing, I'd never go back and play games like Pacman or the original Zelda(Which while they are certainly not something a reviewer of today would rate highly at all are still very fun to play). Therefore, my "standards" should not be criticized as low merely because I am able to look past some of the game's obvious problems to find Shadow the Hedgehog to be an overall enjoyable and addicting game to play.

Regardless of the fact that this game is certainly no "Da Vinci", as you would put it Shadow Hog, I would hardly call it a "horrible, convoluted mess." Naturally while everyone is entitled to their opinions(Of which I have not typed this reply to debate you on), some thoughts are best kept to yourself if they prove to be offensive.

I assume the "problem" that you are refering to with your above remark is that people's liking of this game is somehow contributing to Sonic Team's opinion that people will like/buy any piece of garbage they make, especially if it continues on the dark route of Shadow the hedgehog. Now, redgardless of my opinion that the game is good, isn't the fact that you yourself paid money to play this game contributing more to this image merely because of the fact that Sonic Team looks more at the money you spent than your opinion later? Besides, if you're so worried that Sonic Team might take our opinions on this game to heart, there are always the poorly scored official reviews out there right now which would certainly send a message to them on these various flaws you seem to feel ruin the game entirely.

Now(And this might be completely unrelated), I've said before that the main reason why many people out there who are Sonic fans who like myself grew up on the Genesis games despise Shadow so much isn't because of his story or personality(Which now more than ever can be argued to be better than many of these new characters they keep shoveling into games such as Big), but because of his vast fanbase of people who like him more than the Sonic we grew up with because he's "cooler." I wonder if that isn't Sonic Team's entire reason for reviving him and keeping him around. I mean, they have called him Sonic's ultimate rival, and hasn't the fact that this "undeserving clone" pushed his way into Sonic's fanbase played that much more on that fact? Isn't the fact that many fans of the games are mostly devided into two groups because of the Sonic and Shadow rivalry actually made it that much sweeter?
THANK YOU.

Easter Egg: Anyone notice that sometimes at random gun soilders will say "Mr. Yuji Naka is okay!"(Yuji Naka of course being the game's creator)?
Yeah, I noticed and found it a little amusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back