If any modded character were added into the vanilla game who should it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would pick shadow because he actually plays like a normal srb2 character (only has a double jump move). If Dark City was a *thing he would most likely be unlocked by beating that

Last edited:
I'd say that it probably boils down to the following criteria:
-Theme
-Balance

By theme, I mean that they character would likely need to fit thematically with the rest of the vanilla game. Any fan characters or strictly Modern Sonic characters are out, so that limits us to whoever appears in the Classic series.

By balance, I mean that the character needs to play well with SRB2's level design without being too competitively advantaged against other characters.

While I'm not sure if every single one of these has been made yet, that basically narrows things down to the following characters:
-Bark
-Bean
-Mighty
-Ray
-Espio
-Charmy
-Vector
-Eggman
-Heavy
-Bomb
-Mecha Sonic (Also known as Silver Sonic and Robo Sonic, first appeared in Sonic 2)
-Mecha Sonic 2.0 (Also known as Mecha Sonic, first appeared in Sonic 3 & Knuckles)
-Any of the Hard Boiled Heavies

My best guess is that Espio is the one that would be easiest to balance for the level design. Bark would likely be a large, slow character. Bean I can imagine being too over reliant on his bombs without any other real method of movement or attack. Mighty would be like Knuckles but without glide and climb, which could make him basically just a downgrade, Ray would risk being too overpowered with his long glides that can also gain height, Charmy's infinite flight and tiny hitbox are just OP, Vector I can't imagine having anything special to compete, Eggman's already a confirmed no, Heavy and Bomb are both incredibly underpowered, the two Mecha Sonic's would be a pain to balance and we already have Metal Sonic anyway, and the Hard Boiled Heavies face a similar issue.

Eggman, it will be perfect to unlock after beating the game, but it can be as an eggman mode, in this mode we use eggman to try defeat sonic in the campain, like:
If sonic beat me in green flower, i can try again in techno hill, and it goes in all zones. If i lose all battles, sonic beat the game end i get an game over, if i win sonic. i beat the game.

I know this isn't a mod, but B I G T H E C A T is the first thing that comes to mind.

If he ever was implemented though, maybe they could add a fishing mode similar to frontiers?

SSNMighty had wall kicks and a ground pound. That's pretty distinct from Knuckles.
I wasn't saying that Mighty isn't distinct, I was saying that he would basically be a downgrade in comparison to Knuckles. They are similar in that they can both walk through breakable terrain (At least in Mania, I've not tried every SRB2 mod), but Knuckles has superior mobility options. Glide+Climb is vertically and horizontally more powerful than wall jump, and ground pound (Hammer Drop in Mania) is very situationally useful in 3D space, being similar to Modern Sonic's Stomp in that its best movement utility would be quickly scaling large drops. Unfortunately, Amy can also break breakable floors, so the shortcut potential for this is very niche. There's just not really anything Mighty provides that isn't already possible with other characters if not outright just better with said other characters. The best I could say about him is that his tough shell could make him a sort of slower easy mode for beginner players, protecting against projectiles and spikes while in the spin state.

I just meant that he doesn't really need to be compared to Knuckles since those abilities are completely different from his. He's got a base you could potentially build off of that's distinct from others, and I think building off of his might (punintended) is a good start towards that. Projectile and spike protection, wall busting, potentially giving his hammer drop a small AOE shockwave could work well for his kit. Mobility wise, wallkicks aren't everything, but they are legitimately good. I wouldn't write them off. In fact, the way SSNMighty's wallkicks work have him stick to it, and slowly slide down until you jump off. Imagine being able to spindash up the wall as an alternative?

There's just not really anything Mighty provides that isn't already possible with other characters if not outright just better with said other characters.

About this though, I can only half agree. The main game is kind of already designed around the 6 playable characters and their separate abilities, so unless things are balanced around new characters with new abilities, worrying about sharing traits with others is kind of moot. As long as he's properly balanced and plays well, it should be fine.

As for the others,
First, I don't think I would consider Heavy and Bomb at all. They're most definitely addon material.

I have no clues about what to do with Bark. A large, powerful, slow character seems like it'll be a bit difficult to balance, but that's just me. Bark is a grappler, though. If his moveset had to with picking up and throwing enemies (and maybe even items like monitors, the TNT barrels in ACZ, etc.) it could make for an interesting experience.

Bean does rely a lot on his bombs, and it's stupidly fun. I haven't tried beating the whole game as him though so I doooon't know exactly how viable it is in the long run.

Ray just screams tanooki suit to me. I'm not sure how balance around that outside of making it control like Mario's cape flight.

Charmy on the other hand can be balanced. Consider this: Instead of infinite flight, he is in a state of constant hovering, never actually touching the ground. Much like UFO Kirby here.
srb20043.gif

And in this state, he is given a small number of floaty jumps. Charmy would be an incredibly safe character as far as traversing the environment goes, but could struggle with damaging enemies as a drawback. Because of his floaty nature, he can't simply jump on enemies to damage them, and instead must attack with his stinger. This would make fighting unorthodox, and probably would discourage you from engaging in regular enemies. Is this a terrible idea? Maybe, but it's an idea nonetheless.

Vector is a tricky one, and frankly I don't have many ideas for him either. He can air dash and climb walls, which ironically is more of a direct downgrade from Knuckles than Mighty is LOL. I can still throw a few things at a wall and see if they stick.
  • Vector's a power type, so he could potentially bust through walls.
  • Vector's a crocodile, so his jaws are incredibly powerful. He can chomp badniks and spit them back out as projectiles.
  • Again, he's a crocodile, so he should be able to swim.
  • Maybe you could add his ground pound from Heroes? I guess the difference from Mighty's would be that he bounces upward??
  • I wanted to say his donut shaped spindash could have special properties, but I don't know what. Maybe someone more innovative than me could come up with something.

Last edited:
Pretty obvious, but Mega Man (Bro appeared in Demo 3) and Cirno (Easter Egg)
Post automatically merged:

I'm well aware these two aren't modded character, but let the boy dream okay?

Charmy on the other hand can be balanced. Consider this: Instead of infinite flight, he is in a state of constant hovering, never actually touching the ground. Much like UFO Kirby here.
Wouldn't that prevent him from beating any level that requires traversing through water, since he can't stop hovering? Kinda like how while you're hovering as Whisper, she never goes underwater until you stop hovering.

Hm, that is a good point. DSZ and THZ would both probably be unbeatable like that. I don't think making it a togglable ability would work well either since he'd have to have a different moveset for ground movement. The most I can suggest is to give him a dive attack so that he could submerge. I guess his underwater movement would have to be tweaked so that he isn't constantly floating back to the surface.

Ray, has so much potential

srb20016-gif.12745
That is legitimately cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back