I open debate: Srb2 doesn't really feel like sonic

From what I can tell, that was half scripted. It looked like it autocorrected Sonic’s angle, which is kinda what happens in modern games
Yeah you're right. The game straightens out Sonic's angle but doesn't automate his speed, so you can still fail to make it to the top of the invert due to not being fast enough. I think that's about the best that can be expected of a 3D Sonic game since inversions make the controls in relation to the camera all screwy.

Yeah you're right. The game straightens out Sonic's angle but doesn't automate his speed, so you can still fail to make it to the top of the invert due to not being fast enough. I think that's about the best that can be expected of a 3D Sonic game since inversions make the controls in relation to the camera all screwy.
It does that in some loops from Generations. It’s most notable when going backwards on one

I wouldn't say the lack of loops or wall running makes it feel any less like Sonic. The game feels like a lost piece of Sonic history. Like a game that never got released for the Saturn or something. Neither classic nor modern just a missing link, which I really dig, personally.

Besides, like everyone has more or less said loops in 3D are little more than a cutscene and wall-running would present issues on the current engine.

I'll say that again but loops are not needed in 3D, most games by Sega are making them too scripted and only for scenery reasons.

I'd also say that SRB2 feels more like a proper Sonic game than Sega has done (especially with Forces).

I'll say that again but loops are not needed in 3D, most games by Sega are making them too scripted and only for scenery reasons.
the loopis are automatic, not because of a scenario, but because the visual effect does not work in the same way in 3d as in 2d because the loops are just a visual effect to see how fast it is sonic it is true that the loops in 3d do not work but it is still good to see what the engine is capable of doing and it would be great to see them implemented although that's just my opinion

the loopis are automatic, not because of a scenario, but because the visual effect does not work in the same way in 3d as in 2d because the loops are just a visual effect to see how fast it is sonic it is true that the loops in 3d do not work but it is still good to see what the engine is capable of doing and it would be great to see them implemented although that's just my opinion
You basically repeated what he said lmao

There are a number of fangames that prove that unscripted loops in 3D are possible, and I don't personally see a problem with simply being able to skip them by jumping through the middle if you want to. I see the issue (in general, not just in SRB2) as being more one of necessity. As iconic loops are to Sonic as a franchise, I still don't see a need for them to be anywhere and everywhere. They are at their best in places where they make sense, whether that be them being constructed into machinery or part of some whimsical landscape such as the inside of a giant donut. I've always seen loops such as the ones in Speed Highway, City Escape, and Radical Highway to be a bit much in regards to suspension of disbelief.

There are a number of fangames that prove that unscripted loops in 3D are possible
Actually what I wanted to say in my previous post is that manual 3d loops don't work because they don't achieve the same visual effect and it doesn't feel satisfying to cross them, so in most of those fangames people just ignore them.

Let's see the first example of a loop in 3D: Sonic R, they're quite janky (as you can control Sonic's horizontal movements while he's running on them, leading to miss the rings on them) but at least they're all skippable.

Tell me what is Sonic, and when you figure that out come back. Because Sega doesn't even know what to do with Sonic.
I agree, they have a big lack of focus of what a Sonic game should be about and the franchise is still in that weird identity crisis where they felt the need to put Classic Sonic because they don't trust Modern enough to guarantee to make the game popular.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back