How Do You Guys Go About Making Teams For Creating Addons?

Restless Dipstick

A guy that exists
Asking this kinda outta curiosity, but also 'cause at the moment, I'm not ready to come back to the idea of making my own Addons for this yet (Focused on a whole different project unrelated to SRB2), but I can't help but know that eventually, I'mma wanna try again despite how many times I try to tell myself this may not be for me; How do you guys make your teams to develop things like characters and/or stages? Like, a designated artist(s) and coder(s), stuff like that? Do y'just rely one asking for teammates here in Modding Help, do ya ask individual people if they'd want to help, regardless of if you've known them prior to asking or not, or just already have known those who y'make your teams with, and those y'know just so happen to do well in what y'need them to do for your project? I just think a team's the best way I could get some of these ideas I've been wanting to make off the ground since art is what I do best, and I'd probably stress myself out a whole lot less if I knew how to reach someone who would willingly focus on the coding aspect so I could focus on the spriting process.

Carry your own torch a ways forward first, show you're a capable artist and that you're pulling weight and not just being an ideas guy, and then post your work and say you're asking for help; as long as you're likeable and people enjoy your art, people tend to enjoy getting on board with existing projects when they know they're not just being used.

Also, your word shortening made it really hard to read your post.

Carry your own torch a ways forward first, show you're a capable artist and that you're pulling weight and not just being an ideas guy, and then post your work and say you're asking for help; as long as you're likeable and people enjoy your art, people tend to enjoy getting on board with existing projects when they know they're not just being used.

Also, your word shortening made it really hard to read your post.
I see, gotcha. Part of me's kinda scared to do that, since I've had ideas started that would be canned not too long after I showed share what progress was there in Works-In-Progress, and I'd hate to end up making a reputation for myself that I'm the guy who can't get stuff far without help. But, hey, guess that's more of a me issue, and I should hold off before showing what's in the works.

Also, my bad about the word shortening. Sometimes I don't even realize when I'm doing it.

My process is that I generally do all the work myself. If I'm finding that there are certain elements of the project that I can't fill or can be better filled by someone else, I might ask someone I know, or just ask around generally, if they'd like to lend a helping hand. However, this is after I've already demonstrated that the bones of the project are already in place. Even after the fact, I am still responsible for overseeing the work that other people have put in and making whatever changes are needed for quality control.

Good example: https://mb.srb2.org/addons/chaos-mode.3010/

Chaos is crucially an online-tailored game mode, and so I had been publicizing the alpha version of it through the master server and discord so that it could get the frequent testing that it needed for the online environment it was built for. It was using Match maps at the time to spawn enemies, but I wanted the mode to have a specialized map rotation so that it could really come onto its own. I eventually advertised that I was looking for maps to add to the rotation, and I eventually got enough takers to where I had a full rotation by the end.

Three quarters of the Chaos Mode project was scripting. There are bits and pieces of resources pulled from other reusable scripts or donated by other members, but the vast majority of it is my work. The majority of the map rotation was not my work, but it was still crucial that I go into every single map and make sure that the spawns were properly balanced, since I knew my spawns better than anyone else. From this, you can see how, even in the areas where I'm ostensibly not involved, I still had to oversee and make sure everything was working right.

This is the viewpoint of a scripter and game designer, so it may vary a bit depending on whether you're a lead whose speciality lies in, say, map design or spritework. So the process I had to go through may not be necessary for everyone. But from what I have witnessed, projects seem to work out for the best when the lead understands (at least at a baseline level) the kind of modding that they are asking others to do. I am not a good map designer, but I understand how to use ZoneBuilder enough to make direct changes or make suggestions to the main author/editor for that level. You do not need to be a good scripter, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to develop a baseline understanding of how Lua works -- not enough to make your own scripts necessarily, but at least well enough that you can communicate with your scripter to solve design or technical issues, and to understand what kind of scripting is feasible in the first place.

Beyond that, I can only echo what Charyb was suggested; demonstrate that you can put in the work, and invariably someone will be interested enough to lend a hand.

I would usually start a Project by myself, But when I reach a certain portion of the project, I would usually ask for help from trusted People, Or ask my Friends I made along the way! Don't be scared to go around and ask for help from People or your Friends, And If they say they're busy there's always an other time! But... I do go along with what Charyb said like Cobalt echo'd; demonstrate that you can put in the work, and invariably someone will be interested enough to lend a hand.

Edit : I'd personally start with what you're more fond with, me when I was getting into modding was : I was very fond with Spriting, But that's my choice! You do what you're fond with!

I really appreciate all the advice. I'll make sure to keep this stuff in mind for when I am prepared to show what's in the works, and ask around for help.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back