How do you feel about the thok being replaced?

I'll just post this here.
I'm not really a big fan of their "We're doing it whether the community likes it or not so discussing it is pointless" style dismissiveness here, and it basically just confirms that STJr isn't even considering that the level design is the issue and not the thok itself. Yes, you can mod the thok back in, but that doesn't harmonize it with the level design unless said mod goes the extra mile to redesign the stages, which would be a big ask. Unless something is changing, you also wouldn't be able to mod it in without preventing unlockables from being obtainable. They're "99%" confirming that they're cutting away all of the good potential surrounding the thok without even having anything concrete to replace it with yet.

The point I'm making is that this style of messaging feels more like a middle finger than anything at all even remotely reassuring. All I can get out of it is "We do not value the opinions of our community so it's pointless to share them, and we will confirm the removal of long beloved features without anything to indicate that anything competent is replacing them", which causes me to reconsider my previous comment replying to PencilVoid:
I wouldn't entirely say it's out of mistrust to STJr that many people prostest the removal

I kind of like the rebound dash, it's like a slightly weaker thok that's easier to control the speed and arc for and lets you bounce off walls and correct course if you accidentally miss, can also let you pull off some fun parkour

Last edited:
"You can mod it back in" not shit captain obvious, The game won't save if you do that! This is just a massive "we don't care about what you think" moment, what the hell?
Saving with mods loaded is already merged and will be in the game when 2.2.12 releases.

• Cool!
Reactions: Zeb
Why do people keep using "you can mod it in" as a excuse, it's dumb
"You can mod it back in" not shit captain obvious, The game won't save if you do that! This is just a massive "we don't care about what you think" moment, what the hell?
I'm not really a big fan of their "We're doing it whether the community likes it or not so discussing it is pointless" style dismissiveness here, and it basically just confirms that STJr isn't even considering that the level design is the issue and not the thok itself. Yes, you can mod the thok back in, but that doesn't harmonize it with the level design unless said mod goes the extra mile to redesign the stages, which would be a big ask. Unless something is changing, you also wouldn't be able to mod it in without preventing unlockables from being obtainable. They're "99%" confirming that they're cutting away all of the good potential surrounding the thok without even having anything concrete to replace it with yet.

The point I'm making is that this style of messaging feels more like a middle finger than anything at all even remotely reassuring. All I can get out of it is "We do not value the opinions of our community so it's pointless to share them, and we will confirm the removal of long beloved features without anything to indicate that anything competent is replacing them".
It's not so bad, this dude is telling the truth. Just leave him alone by this reply, it's just a normal reply that this is a real thing. Even though it's so shocking, I get it, we get it, just don't make it way worser ok. This ain't a great idea to talk about this right now already, just don't. Please for god sake leave it, now.

It's not so bad, this dude is telling the truth. Just leave him alone by this reply, it's just a normal reply that this is a real thing. Even though it's so shocking, I get it, we get it, just don't make it way worser ok. This ain't a great idea to talk about this right now already, just don't. Please for god sake leave it, now.
I feel like I have the right to express my concerns to the thok possibly being reduced to just a addon :???:

Well keep talking more and you get some argument, which might be some peoples fault on continuing.
In this case it seems more to me like it's something we can actually agree on (That the discord post in question is a poor way of communicating with the community), so there's not really much of a risk of an argument.

In this case it seems more to me like it's something we can actually agree on (That the discord post in question is a poor way of communicating with the community), so there's not really much of a risk of an argument.
You are right on that one, because it does make sense of course. Even though I just previous say that were supposed to leave this already, and I mean it.

It's not so bad, this dude is telling the truth. Just leave him alone by this reply, it's just a normal reply that this is a real thing. Even though it's so shocking, I get it, we get it, just don't make it way worser ok. This ain't a great idea to talk about this right now already, just don't. Please for god sake leave it.
Leaving it is not going to solve anything with Thok

I'll just post this here.View attachment 92792
I may be repeating what time gear said, but I am really not a fan of the dismissiveness STJr are displaying regarding concerns around Sonic's ability in 2.3. The fact that they try to shut down any discussion of it while admitting they don't have anything planned themselves gives me the idea they're not confident in any ideas they have for a thok replacement, which is worrying for obvious reasons. Additionally, community feedback has always been important to SRB2 and while the devs hold the right to not honour feedback at their own discretion, flagrantly disregarding it like this makes it seem as if they don't value the opinions of the community.

Just mod it back in if you don't like it
Multiple people have said things like this. To be blunt, "just mod it if you don't like it" has never been a valid counterargument for anything. Not only does it completely ignore that levels are designed in tandem with character abilities and completely replacing one necessitates extensively modifying the other, but it also ignores the responsibility of developers to provide an experience that's enjoyable for as many players as possible. While not obligated by contract or money, the involvement of SRB2's community in the game's development has become standard; it's what keeps the game fresh and the community alive. The community has the responsibility to respect the developers and any choices they may make, and the developers have the responsibility to listen to the community's feedback and provides responses that are more than "stop talking about it".

I know, but it's worse to see the community go depth on this thok at first.
I mean, this wouldn't have happened in the first place if they didn't announce they will replacing the thok, literally just face the problem head-on instead of just flat out ignoring it, it's simple

I mean, this wouldn't have happen in the first place if they didn't announce they will replacing the thok
Well we can't, because were just fans of the game. And we can't control what we can ask, cause that just makes it worst for the staff to literally make this bad for them to follow us as well if they were fans and we were actually the main staff of this game.

Well we can't, because were just fans of the game. And we can't control what we can ask, cause that just makes it worst for the staff to literally make this bad for them to follow us as well if they were fans and we were actually the main staff of this game.
Again, just don't change it

I see this for a possible trouble for new players, imagine joining a new v2.3 game and getting a different ability at 2 out of 5 SRB2 servers that you'll join. That would absolutely suck imo.

I really do not like the “making all discussion about this pointless” part because it's almost like an "We are going to ignore the community feedback about this and just make our own thing and we'll put out foot down 🦶" and the whole community will have to deal with either they like or not so yeah, I don't think those discussions are pointless at all.

To be blunt, "just mod it if you don't like it" has never been a valid counterargument for anything. Not only does it completely ignore that levels are designed in tandem with character abilities and completely replacing one necessitates extensively modifying the other, but it also ignores the responsibility of developers to provide an experience that's enjoyable for as many players as possible.
This. Also in adding onto this, modded experiences will always be lower tier than the vanilla experience in the sense that people need to actively hunt down mods to obtain them. The "Out of the box experience" so to speak is always going to be much more important to get right, so when the community is attempting to communicate that the dev team is misunderstanding an issue it doesn't inspire much confidence when they respond to it by dismissing the community in question. It's only natural for such a response to lead to worry and doubt if not even in some cases outrage.

I dont know about this, really, the power spin SEEMS like a cool ability but i cant shake the feeling that its more of a gimmick than anything major, if they HAD to replace/rework the thok, my solution would just be to nerf the thok and add a wallrun ability, that way sonic retains his horizontal edge while also opening up an avenue for interesting level design (as well as fixing the problem of people overshooting with the thok as it wouldnt push you too far) to wallrun you should have enough speed built up and then thok against a wall to start wallrunning, and to get off you could jump or press the spin button. Not the most elegant solution but its something

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back