How do I make Packs of Levels?

ExenP3570

Sucks At Level Design™
Ello there.

I am going to release a level pack soon, but, I can't get it to work. I used SLADE, the Doom lump editor, and then loaded up the maps. The maps were in folders. Then, I loaded up them into SRB2, but as soon I got to the level, a warning closed the program and said, "THINGS lump not found."

I am new to this, so I don't know what that meant except the word THINGS. I looked in the things in each folder, everything looked like it should be. (I think.)

See ya later,
Exen

A lump is a file in an addon. The THINGS lump is often the first lump in a map. If the map can't find it, it means it can't find any of them. Normally, this means that your addon is organized improperly.

Could you post a screenshot of the level pack addon open in SLADE?

A lump is a file in an addon. The THINGS lump is often the first lump in a map. If the map can't find it, it means it can't find any of them. Normally, this means that your addon is organized improperly.

Sure thing! Catch you later.
Post automatically merged:

Here is the shot, but I couldn't get it on the computer. So I used the phone. And that's how you get bad quality.

Attachments

• IMG_20221017_171845.jpg
    IMG_20221017_171845.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Sure thing! Catch you later.

Here is the shot, but I couldn't get it on the computer. So I used the phone. And that's how you get bad quality.
You have created a folder in a WAD, and placed the map lumps inside. WADs do not support folders, and even if they did, this would not be the way to set them up. You can't create folders as you please even in addon formats that support them, you have to do it right or it won't work.

Take the map lumps (including the MAINCFG lump) out of the folder and then delete the folder. WADs use markers, not folders. Everything in a WAD is in one place, in contrast to PK3s which use folders. For more information, please see the WAD article on the SRB2 Wiki: https://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/WAD_file

Got another problem. How do I get the wads out of my folder?

And yes, I am new to SLADE too.

You have created a folder in a WAD, and placed the map lumps inside. WADs do not support folders, and even if they did, this would not be the way to set them up. You can't create folders as you please even in addon formats that support them, you have to do it right or it won't work.

Take the map lumps (including the MAINCFG lump) out of the folder and then delete the folder. WADs use markers, not folders. Everything in a WAD is in one place, in contrast to PK3s which use folders. For more information, please see the WAD article on the SRB2 Wiki: https://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/WAD_file
Ok, so I'm supposed to turn them into PK3s? How do I do that? (And no, I'm not trying to give you attitude.)

Ok, so I'm supposed to turn them into PK3s? How do I do that? (And no, I'm not trying to give you attitude.)
You do not have to, you could use markers instead of folders. But PK3s are almost universally considered better anyhow, so let's go over that.

I personally recommend creating a new PK3 file and then moving everything from the WAD into it. To do this:

1. Open SLADE's start page, and click the "Create Zip Archive" button. Save this new zip archive and name it whatever you want, then close SLADE.
2. Navigate to the zip archive in your file explorer. Click "rename" and change the .zip to .pk3. PK3s are just zip archives with a different file extension.
3. Re-open SLADE and open the .pk3, as well as the .wad you already had.
4. Use Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V to move everything from the .wad over to the .pk3.

We're almost done, but now comes something a little bit complicated. You see, PK3s can have WADs inside of them. Why do I bring this up? Well, maps in PK3s are normally stored in WADs. I'll run through the process for doing this:

1. Go back to SLADE's start page, and click "Create WAD Archive."
2. Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V all the data lumps (the files within an addon) for MAP01 into the new WAD. In your case, this would be everything from the lumps named MAP01 and down in the screenshot you posted. Do not move the MAINCFG file into this new WAD, nor anything else.
3. Save the WAD as MAP01.wad.
4. In your PK3, create a new folder called "Maps" and place MAP01.wad into it.
5. Repeat this process for every map in your pack.

You're technically done, however I'm also going to teach you how to make opening your pack in Zone Builder much easier now that it's a PK3.

1. Open Zone Builder.
2. Go to Tools > Game Configurations.
3. On the left, select Sonic Robo Blast 2 - 2.2.
4. Click the "Add resource" button.
5. Go to the "From PK3/PK7" tab and add your PK3, then click OK.

Now, Zone Builder will load your PK3 as a resource, and that means it'll also load any custom textures, enemies, etc. for you to use.

One more thing: How to open maps from within a PK3 in Zone Builder.

1. Open SLADE.
2. Go to Edit > Preferences > Editing and click on the "External Editors" tab.
3. Click the + icon and navigate to Zone Builder, then add it.
4. Click "Apply."

Now, within SLADE, you can right-click on your map WADs and select Open > Open in Zone Builder to immediately open them for editing. Please keep in mind that when you now save your map in Zone Builder, it will not be truly saved until you save the PK3 in SLADE! This is how most of us do it, and it's way faster and easier once you get used to it.

This completes the conversion process. However, keep in mind that the folder structure you were using was still not valid, and you'll need to fix it before everything will work. I have attached to this post an example, blank PK3 with a valid folder structure. You can delete folders you do not need, but do place your MAINCFG from the old WAD file in the SOC folder.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• ExampleAddon.pk3
    1.2 KB · Views: 55

You do not have to, you could use markers instead of folders. But PK3s are almost universally considered better anyhow, so let's go over that.

I personally recommend creating a new PK3 file and then moving everything from the WAD into it. To do this:

1. Open SLADE's start page, and click the "Create Zip Archive" button. Save this new zip archive and name it whatever you want, then close SLADE.
2. Navigate to the zip archive in your file explorer. Click "rename" and change the .zip to .pk3. PK3s are just zip archives with a different file extension.
3. Re-open SLADE and open the .pk3, as well as the .wad you already had.
4. Use Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V to move everything from the .wad over to the .pk3.

We're almost done, but now comes something a little bit complicated. You see, PK3s can have WADs inside of them. Why do I bring this up? Well, maps in PK3s are normally stored in WADs. I'll run through the process for doing this:

1. Go back to SLADE's start page, and click "Create WAD Archive."
2. Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V all the data lumps (the files within an addon) for MAP01 into the new WAD. In your case, this would be everything from the lumps named MAP01 and down in the screenshot you posted. Do not move the MAINCFG file into this new WAD, nor anything else.
5. Repeat this process for every map in your pack.

You're technically done, however I'm also going to teach you how to make opening your pack in Zone Builder much easier now that it's a PK3.

1. Open Zone Builder.
2. Go to Tools > Game Configurations.
3. On the left, select Sonic Robo Blast 2 - 2.2.
4. Click the "Add resource" button.
5. Go to the "From PK3/PK7" tab and add your PK3, then click OK.

Now, Zone Builder will load your PK3 as a resource, and that means it'll also load any custom textures, enemies, etc. for you to use.

One more thing: How to open maps from within a PK3 in Zone Builder.

1. Open SLADE.
2. Go to Edit > Preferences > Editing and click on the "External Editors" tab.
3. Click the + icon and navigate to Zone Builder, then add it.
4. Click "Apply."

Now, within SLADE, you can right-click on your map WADs and select Open > Open in Zone Builder to immediately open them for editing. Please keep in mind that when you now save your map in Zone Builder, it will not be truly saved until you save the PK3 in SLADE! This is how most of us do it, and it's way faster and easier once you get used to it.

This completes the conversion process. However, keep in mind that the folder structure you were using was still not valid, and you'll need to fix it before everything will work. I have attached to this post an example, blank PK3 with a valid folder structure. You can delete folders you do not need, but do place your MAINCFG from the old WAD file in the SOC folder.

Hope this helps.
It seems that it will help! But we will see what happens.

Was I supposed to put it in the PK3 file with the wads? Here is a screenshot:
IMG_20221025_064051_1.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like you have all the maps in there twice. You should probably delete the duplicate ones that are not inside the Maps folder.

It seems that it will help! But we will see what happens.

Was I supposed to put it in the PK3 file with the wads? Here is a screenshot:
View attachment 78416
Yes, this is correct. However, you should remove the duplicate map WADs outside that are the Maps folder, and move the MAINCFG file into a new folder called "SOC".

Last edited:
Alright, another problem. When I load in the file into SRB2, it doesn't work and rather be Greenflower Zone. Got any tips how to fix this?

MAP01 is not being properly replaced then. Please let me see a screenshot of your mod open in SLADE again.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back