How do I make it so that Sonic has to push a switch to have a wall go down?

Julia

A fan of this cool game since the PSP days.
Hello, so as of now I'm working on a Mushroom Hill stage mod. And in the beginning of the stage, I need it so Sonic has to push a switch to open up a wall to continue access through the stage. How do I pull this off? (The spot in question is in the image below.)
image_2021-03-04_173653.png

First, make the actual switch. You can do this with a simple ellipse, but feel free to experiment with the shape. Give it the "Floor Touch" sector special, and give it an unused tag. Next, place a control sector outside the map (it can be in any shape.) Give one of its linedefs a Linedef Executor action ("Once" is preferred), and give it the same tag as the switch sector. Next, give an adjacent linedef either the Move Sector Floor action or the Move Sector Ceiling action, and give it and the door another tag. From the image, it looks like you'll want Move Sector Ceiling.

If you need a different explanation, feel free to check the wiki page for the linedef executor tutorial.

First, make the actual switch. You can do this with a simple ellipse, but feel free to experiment with the shape. Give it the "Floor Touch" sector special, and give it an unused tag. Next, place a control sector outside the map (it can be in any shape.) Give one of its linedefs a Linedef Executor action ("Once" is preferred), and give it the same tag as the switch sector. Next, give an adjacent linedef either the Move Sector Floor action or the Move Sector Ceiling action, and give it and the door another tag. From the image, it looks like you'll want Move Sector Ceiling.

If you need a different explanation, feel free to check the wiki page for the linedef executor tutorial.
So it did lower, but it did not lower smoothly, all it did was instantly snap to the bottom of the ground. Is there a way for smoother animation?

So it did lower, but it did not lower smoothly, all it did was instantly snap to the bottom of the ground. Is there a way for smoother animation?
You probably made the second linedef too long. For reference, one unit in Zone Builder (1 fracunit) is 0.125 fracunits of movement. I'd personally recommend a length of 64 fracunits. What's the length of the linedef at the moment?

Make the linedef that has the Move Tagged Sector's Ceiling effect be shorter. Like NAR said, 1 FU is a 0.125 addition to the speed.
I actually do not know how to calculate fracunits. Can I get some assistance?

I actually do not know how to calculate fracunits. Can I get some assistance?
Zoom way in, until the "grid size" thing at the bottom right says 1 fracunit.
Now one fracunit is one gridspace in a cardinal direction. Zooming out, one gridspace will be 2 FU, 4 FU, etc, corresponding to the value below.

Zoom way in, until the "grid size" thing at the bottom right says 1 fracunit.
Now one fracunit is one gridspace in a cardinal direction. Zooming out, one gridspace will be 2 FU, 4 FU, etc, corresponding to the value below.
Thank you.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back